• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Benzodiazepine withdrawal

i used decarboxalized amanita muscaria during the titration process and it was useful. as others have said, ashton manual and strong compliance with titration/not bingeing are the way out. it takes a long time, but it is very doable. I second what another poster said about minimizing life commitments if possible.

You make a good point here regarding stuff one can use when w/d from BZD's; I managed to wean of off Diazepam with the help of Pregabalin (3-4 wk/s at 300-600mg/d), but that drug can be very problematic for some; and in general, after reading a bunch of medical literature there isn't really one specific medication which is proven to work for BZD w/d's, it is pretty much Russian Roulette which will (if any) help.

If find interesting that You say BZD w/d was more manageable than Opiate w/d, I have no experience with Opiates, but from all the reading I've done, people usually say it's the opposite; I guess at the end of the day, it boils down to users individual chemistry.

I can only speak for myself. I did a ton a diazepam and alprazolam alongside a very bad amphetamine addiction. I took diazepam and alprazolam by the 10 pill blister in the end, meaning I took 100mg diazepam or 10mg xanax as a single dose, often washed it down with beer or other booze. Did that daily for a year or more. I stopped without tapering or any comfort meds, I only had some booze and some weed. It wasn't really bad, just bad insomnia for a few weeks, tremors, shaking, pronounced fatigue and anxiety/social phobia. I just stayed in my bed, mainly, reading books or watching tv and it wasn't terrible. I was miserable and useless but nothing dramatic. It lasted for quite a while, though, must have been three weeks or more.

In contrast, morphine withdrawal after a year of heavy poppy pod consumption was bloody hell on earth. Upon stopping the poppy powder ingestion, I collapsed into a completely helpless state of endless agony, writhing around on the bed and also the bathroom floor, puking violently, shitting water, pain everywhere, restless legs, headaches, burning skin (that was the worst symptom!!) , complete insomnia. Like torture, awful, truly awful. Thinking back, I now have to laugh at myself, my condition was so bad it was almost comical. I was unable to write a one word WhatsApp message, my mobile phone dropped out of my hands while trying to type a message.

I think that I am either not susceptible to GABA agonists/modifiers or that a lot of the benzo addicted folks simply don't know what a really hellish withdrawal feels like. The internet is full of people claiming to get horrible WDs from Phenibut, which I abused for months without any obvious withdrawal, just a bit of fatigue and some tremor. People report to get nasty withdrawal from nicotine, Kratom, cannabis or even caffeine, which tells me that a lot of folks simply cannot tolerate the pain/discomfort of mild/moderate withdrawal.

I would gladly take benzo withdrawal over morphine withdrawal any time.....

Caffeine withdrawals make me extremely demotivated so I commonly stop withdrawing very soon.

...and that's how we roll

Yeah, this is probably a defining character trait of mine. Many "normal" people would probably be traumatized by that absolutely hellish withdrawal episode but I think about it as another wild and unusual experience. Something to remember. It didn't traumatize me because I wasn't scared by it at all. I knew it would happen, I knew it would eventually pass and I knew I totally did it to myself. Get it done and accept the pain.

Caffeine withdrawals make me extremely demotivated so I commonly stop withdrawing very soon.

I never really tried for longer than a few days. Love my coffee too much and there are no serious side effects so why should I stop? But when I tried, it was just a headache and a bit of fatigue. Much better than rolling around on the floor and moaning in agony.

Coffee is pretty healthy so yeah...
Coffee and tea particularly yeah. Pure caffeine also but less so.

But I'd say that in the case caffeine produces apparent or subtle side-effects instantly or in chronic use, decreasing life quality, it is not that healthy.

Some do notice that caffeine just makes them fatiqued, drained wreck with disturbed physiological and psychological functions at some point in chronic use. Often only after they quit. I have noticed this many times and I just dont seem to be able to decide what fits me.

It seems like drugs are just highly effective and eventually have some harm, it just seems inevitable if you want anything out of them.

Oddly, I have real problems quitting coffee nowadays. It messes up my stomach, which gets irritated and hurts a bit after drinking two cups or more. The Kratom and the morphine that I was using over the last years must have masked this pain as I only noticed the coffee induced stomach pain after quitting the morphine. I tried to replace coffee with caffeine pills but that didn't work. I get intense cravings for a cup of coffee and I always cave in. I really tried last week but when my colleagues at work gather to make and drink fresh coffee I was unable to resist.

So, apparently, I can quit morphine, benzos or amphetamines without any issues but I cannot quit coffee any more?

It's just time clean. Our Brains learn certain behavior, reward for us is the chemical release of feel good chemistry. Drugs all drugs shot circuit the brain , long term use of anything will cause brain chemistry issues.

Time without drugs is the best way to reset and restart the natural connections and brain chemistry. The only thing is, it sucks for a long long time. You are on the right track being clean. Took me a year without any drugs to start to feel stable again. Another year to feel actually good again.

I'm 7 years sober , in a happy relationship, a great job , take vacations and travel all over the world. But getting clean is the hardest thing I've ever done. And staying clean after the first year, especially when all your friends and family still use is rough.

But it's worth the fight I have my life back , it's better then I ever could have imagined. You will too if you stick with it. Life is wild but beautiful and a blessing.

My sister is on Suboxone, has been for 3 years, she still drinks , and smokes. I get that that's progress and she seems productive and stable but I don't think she's happy. She really loved heroin and I know she misses it.

Quitting benzos is horrible and there's no real way to ease the withdrawal, just know every day clean is one more step closer to feeling good again. I was very near suicide several times in that first year. I know what you are going through. It will get better, it just takes time .

Good luck , you can do this

I would not recomend coming off the Valium without your doctor knowing. As someone who has suffered from psychosis i can tell you that benzos are pretty good against psychosis. 0.5mg of clonaz stopped a psychotic episode i was having.

Being on benzos isnt the worst thing in the world and compared to psychosis being addicted to benzos is fuck all. But if you really want to go off them atleast consult your doctor about it first. Benzo wd by itself can trigger psychosis nevermind if your predisposed to it

Benzo withdrawal is probably the longest hardest bullshit anyone has to deal with. I know everyone thinks that about whatever the use. But I've gotten clean from meth, xtc, pain pills, those all are terrible in their own way. But benzos takes the cake.

Rest assured you get through this and come out the other side, life is all downhill. It's like prison , eventually you get out and you never go back

I will not leave the benzos apart unless my psychiatrist tells me to. Plus I've been switching benzos, I started with Xanax at 17, evolved to Ativan at 23, then I switched to Valium and kind of hopped around between Clonazepam and Valium between months until I found which one was right for me. I have to have the Valium at the table in the morning to take or else I can die from the withdrawal or have a massive panic or anxiety attack. I haven't been addicted to benzos for one or two months, it's been years since I started with Xanax. I even ended up with the body of a geriatric patient with Xanax until I started eating more and working out when I turned 22. I used to have a horrible body because of Xanax and Valium use. I even became fat for about a year because of Valium.