• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo tolerance reduction?

Jm014800

Greenlighter
So over the past 6 months I have been using benzos. Alprazolam, Clonazepam, and my valued Diazepam have been the three. The most Alprazolam I have taken in one setting is about 5mg- 6.5mg. 7mg of Clonazepam and about 40mg of Diazepam. It should be noted that these doses were the highest and not taken at the same time. I have never once mixed my benzos.

To give you an example, in the past 27 days I have taken 30mg of Alprazolam, 30mg of Clonazepam, and 70mg of Diazepam. I defiantly know I have a tolerance built up and am wanting to know how long of a break I should take? Please note that not every month has been as extreme as this one.

How long should I break? Please don't mention tapering, I have already done that and today was my last dose.

The longer the break the better. Just be careful if you're dependent on any of these. If you discontinue using one benzo but continue to use others, you won't really be doing anything to reduce your general tolerance.

Try abstaining for as long as you can. One dose a week works pretty well to keep the tolerance from going to crazy in the future.

You may be able to potentiate your benzos with other things (such as with alprazolam, using cimetidine - just because side effects of long term/high dose cimetidine use).

NMDA antagonists also may help retard the development of future tolerance, but this seems to be variable.

The best way to manage tolerance is simply to take breaks or cycle using other (hopefully less harmful) forms of drug use.