• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo tapering after 1-2 weeks of use?

sPHERE911

Bluelighter
Hi,

From around February to May I used Xanax and some other benzos on occasion recreationally. (I also used opiates alot, but thats a different story).
Maybe a total of 2 times per week.

I quit them both and have not been using any of them at all until now.
Even though I did not use benzos daily, I was still feeling derealization and depression from May to August after quitting my habits.

I now just started college, and today was my second week. After the benzo and opiate use I was having much larger amounts of anxiety than I ever had before my experiments with both opiates and benzos, including panic attacks.

I then got ahold of some Valium and Kpins and have now used them for 7 consecutive days (through the first week at school because of anxiety and social events).
The dosage I have used have been no more than 10mg valium a day, or 1mg klonopin and that made me feel great and social again like I was before I experimented with these drugs in the first place.

I decided to try to lower the dose today, and only took 5mg valium (once) today and have been fine, but the reason I did that was because I could bad anxiety starting to come after a couple of hours at school. I was not really planning to use it at all after the first week at school.

I guess what Im asking is, if I continue to use 5mg valium for this week, will I be ok to cold turkey it on monday, or would it be better to use say, 2,5mg the next week? Or is it too much of a lowering of dose, even after such short term use?
Maybe I should continue to gradually lower the dose, until Im weaned of them totally? Im afraid of the derealization and anxiety I was experiencing after quitting the last time, and think maybe its a better plan to lower it gradually.

Im sorry if the post is confusing, but I feel Im not me if I dont take it (but I know the dangers of using it, and Im not even getting them through a doctor).

since everyone is different but in general you will not feel any crazy WD you might but i dont think so if you stop
if anything and i mean IF, you are gonna feel a shit ton of rebound anxiety which will subside eventually thats why benzos are prescribed as PRN(as needed)
personally think rebound anxiety is the reason why people keep redosing and redosing
i have personally taken 10mg of valium for around 7 days straight once during alcohol withdrawal which i was getting 3x times a day but due to valiums LONG half life the rebound anxiety was barely felt
just pick a day very soon, take your last dose and be done with it until you give yourself a good break

Long story short, if you are cool on 5 mg Valium, go to 2.5 next week, then try cold after that. You'd do best to get done with them, since your not even on them through a doc. Your not very high on 5mg, but I have a feeling that the titration down would be easier on you.

Thanks alot for your reply deos68.

Im thinking of trying some other remedies for anxiety and have ordered a bottle of kava kava extract. Maybe this could ease the rebound anxiety? I have a presentation and stuff this week (which I in general for the love of god HATE) so I know I have to take a benzo since the rebound anxiety on top of that would probably be catastrophal for my psychological well being.

Any other opinions?

Long story short, if you are cool on 5 mg Valium, go to 2.5 next week, then try cold after that. You'd do best to get done with them, since your not even on them through a doc. Your not very high on 5mg, but I have a feeling that the titration down would be easier on you.

That sounds like a good plan, and was what I was thinking myself too - trying to gradually quit instead of just quit right now.

plenty of different things for anxiety that arent benzos
kava, passion flower, chamomile, green tea <---that shit is good gets me hype and calm at the same time they also have decaf green tea if you dont want the caffeine ,L -Theanine is also good for anxiety (you get a small dose of it from drinking green tea) yoga, CBT, working out, running, sex/rubbing one out haha funny but works
there is plenty of shit you can do and try aside from taking benzos
i am all for benzos for getting you out of a jam but benzos are a band aid when it comes to anxiety which the band aid will eventually get dirty
i havent gone through WD but i have seen it first hand during detox shit is not a pretty sight im sure WD will make your anxiety feel like a walk in the park

if you truly have a prob with anxiety try an SSRI far more superior as in less crap to deal with than benzos

Yes I know, I actually hate that Im using benzos again now. Its pure poison.

I ordered Kava, will take a look at decaf green tea too (a cup of coffee during my past benzo WD sent me straight into anxiety hell). My anxiety is accompanied with panic in certain situations. Maybe an SSRI will help, I'll have to research a bit I guess.

Im working out 4 days a week and its definitely helped alot during my past detox, my problem is anxiety at school (afraid of presentations, panic attacks etc which mainly started after a rough breakup some months ago).

Im also thinking about Lyrica. Any experience with that? It seems it works in a different way than benzos yet have quite similar effects. Im thinking maybe after my taper with valium I could try to use Lyrica to ease out the following rebound anxiety, before quitting Lyrica too.

no exp with lyrica but worth looking into in the end just do some major research and what each one can provide although all SSRI's pretty much do the same some offer more for other shit aside from anxiety depression and panic relief
again since valium has a looong half life of "50 to 100 hrs" half life means if you take 10mg of valium after about "50 to 100hrs" you will still have half of the dose you took still active i doubt youll feel anything and i would be surprised if you did
valium is used as a taper to quit short lasting benzos and alcohol overall good shit
but if it were xanax or a short lasting benzo def feel rebound anxiety well from my own personal exp
highly advise not taking benzos unless truly needed
if abused it they can send you into a dark place that youll wish you'd never heard of benzos

and no i get you anxiety usually hits hard after a ton of shit piles up on you in all honesty i think you just need to relax and learn how to manage stress
therapy could actually work without the use of any meds
i go to therapy and actually a lot better than where i use to be as it feels good to release your thoughts to someone who isnt a friend or a family member

Last edited:
I agree with all deos68 is saying and suggesting. I want to point out however to sPHERE911, that just because benzodiazepines do not work for you at all, that doesn't make it a poison to or for other people necessarily.
I'm glad you understand that it's not for you at this time.

Im thinking of trying some other remedies for anxiety and have ordered a bottle of kava kava extract. Maybe this could ease the rebound anxiety?
Any other opinions?

My brain may just be wired differently, but when I tried KAVA I felt VERY agitated. I was not a good experience. Maybe start with low dose at first?

My brain may just be wired differently, but when I tried KAVA I felt VERY agitated. I was not a good experience. Maybe start with low dose at first?
the thing with the herbal route they can affect people differently
best thing to do is to experiment with doses and the way you consume them
kave can be taken as a tincture, pill form and a tea
i personally don't like kava it works more as a sedative for me i can make a nice tea from the herb and i usually fall asleep before i even finish the cup
cant exactly take that during the day and be productive
agitated how? what dose did you take? what form of it did you take? prob took to much? or maybe kava isnt for you i took it on and off for about 4 months at one point never had issues like that all it did was put me to sleep which isnt a bad thing but wasnt what i was looking for

i usually make a nice tea of chamomile and passion flower not quite close to benzo effects but very relaxing

Last edited:
I've been using 10mg etiz for 2 mayb 3 weeks along with diclazpam daily along with (flub-lam only 15mg of it tho) now this week abused the crap out of clonazolam and only have like 20mg of etiz left......... should i be worried about w/d ...... i feel great now but im also on 4 mg of etiz about to 6 ..... anyone asap... would love the info

I've been using 10mg etiz for 2 mayb 3 weeks along with diclazpam daily along with (flub-lam only 15mg of it tho) now this week abused the crap out of clonazolam and only have like 20mg of etiz left......... should i be worried about w/d ...... i feel great now but im also on 4 mg of etiz about to 6 ..... anyone asap... would love the info

If you have all that, why were you asking where to get them in another thread. Something is fishy here. Troll possibly.

After reading alot, it seems like anything over 1 week of continuesly being on benzos, a taper plan is recommended. I think the taper should be short though, to not form any further dependence. Atleast thats what I seem to have gathered online, but Im by no means an expert on this, as I created this thread wondering the same thing... I have lots of kpins and valiums left that I intend to use for tapering, and also ordered kava extract (capsules), L-theanine 300mg (capsules) and chamomille tea. I havent gotten any of it yet but looking forward to substituting my benzo usage with some of that.

After reading alot, it seems like anything over 1 week of continuesly being on benzos, a taper plan is recommended. I think the taper should be short though, to not form any further dependence. Atleast thats what I seem to have gathered online, but Im by no means an expert on this, as I created this thread wondering the same thing... I have lots of kpins and valiums left that I intend to use for tapering, and also ordered kava extract (capsules), L-theanine 300mg (capsules) and chamomille tea. I havent gotten any of it yet but looking forward to substituting my benzo usage with some of that.

How high do you have to taper from?

How high do you have to taper from?

Week 1: 10mg Valium or 0.5mg klonopin a day
Week 2 so far (this week): 5mg valium/day except for today which I took 10mg because of a presentation in front of 200 persons which I hate

Im thinking of tapering like this:

Next week: 2,5mg/day
and then cold turkey if possible, hopefully combined with kava and theanine

Should be noted as I wrote in the first post that I suffered from derealization and WD from a previous habit of benzos for a couple of months

im not trolling......... i came here for help but whatever i dont want to just end up having a seizure and since i havent seen a doc thats not a option should i taper with clonazolam?

im not trolling......... i came here for help but whatever i dont want to just end up having a seizure and since i havent seen a doc thats not a option should i taper with clonazolam?

Im in the same boat as you. This is my second week on benzos for many months. Im trying to not use more than 5-10mg diazepam a day and even still Im certain I will experience some withdrawal. Im starting to taper next week.

Try to use the benzo with the longest half-life for the taper process and gradually decrease the dose slowly. You'll feel it if you cant handle the rate of which you are decreasing it.

Im in the same boat as you. This is my second week on benzos for many months. Im trying to not use more than 5-10mg diazepam a day and even still Im certain I will experience some withdrawal. Im starting to taper next week.

Try to use the benzo with the longest half-life for the taper process and gradually decrease the dose slowly. You'll feel it if you cant handle the rate of which you are decreasing it.

no don't wait until next week, you are still early enough on, stop making excuses and stay at 5mg a day or less now, and 2.5mg a day soon, you'll thank yourself in the long run, every day you are on valium you are building a physical dependence, do you really want to deal with long ass benzo paws

no don't wait until next week, you are still early enough on, stop making excuses and stay at 5mg a day or less now, and 2.5mg a day soon, you'll thank yourself in the long run, every day you are on valium you are building a physical dependence, do you really want to deal with long ass benzo paws

Although I agree with you, Im still concerned about things like seizures and stuff like that. Im still suffering from muscle twitches from my previous benzo experiences some months ago. Do you think its safe to taper this fast? If so, I'll gladly do it, but my health is my main concern here.