• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo Taper LAPSE Consequences

This is not correct-the OP did not specify whether he was on tid, bid or what. It may be once a day before bed or even PRN.

Everybody in the thread is indicating to him that a single daily dose is not enough: he said he takes .5 as a single daily dose.

You should read it again.

Everybody? :?

That single daily dose isn't going to do a damn thing at keeping withdrawals at bay. It may provide some symptom relief for a few hours, but that's it.

He needs to take a regular dose three times a day to maintain therapeutic blood levels.

That is what you do for withdrawals. You do the same thing for dosing as you do for therapy. it is no different.
I don't mean to be argumentative - but this is simply not the case in my experience.
My experience being with diazepam.
Is there a misunderstanding in communication here or something?
I even discussed this with the doc who supervised my taper - "should i be splitting this daily dosage into morning and evening? Twice or thrice daily?" - and so on.
I was reassured that i could do so if i wished - but it wasn't essential.

I'm simply relaying my experience here - i'm not an expert, but the doctor that conducted my outpatient taper (not a general practitioner, but an experienced drug and alcohol detox clinic doctor, for what it's worth) was confident in reassuring me that i'd be fine - and i was. His explanation was that the long half-life - as i recall - made it ok to dose once a day - at least late in the reduction process, when i was fully stabilised and tapering.
I seem to recall that he recommended i stick to a consistent dosing regimen - but showed no concern at my queries about taking a single dose of diazepam per day.

That was more convenient for me, so i went with the "once a day" option; also, i was looking to shake my psychological reliance on benzos to sleep - so i dosed in the morning.

As i said - it worked out just fine. No discernible withdrawal discomfort or struggle with reducing or jumping off.

"YMMV" and the usual disclaimers - but for me, what you are saying contradicts the medical advice i was given - and followed - and i successfully got off benzos this way.
I can only tell you what my experience is - i'm not qualified to give informed medical opinions; but i dosed according to what i was told by someone i fully trusted to do so, and it worked without a problem.

Note, that I am referring to the final couple of months of a taper - but it didn't present any problem or risk for me to dose diazepam daily.
Tinker55 - you're probably right, but i've not had the medical or pharmacological training to say whether that is true or not. I can only really refer to my own experience, and what generally seems to be the most typically accepted practise.

Everybody? :?

I don't mean to be argumentative - but this is simply not the case in my experience.
My experience being with diazepam.
Is there a misunderstanding in communication here or something?
I even discussed this with the doc who supervised my taper - "should i be splitting this daily dosage into morning and evening? Twice or thrice daily?" - and so on.
I was reassured that i could do so if i wished - but it wasn't essential.

I'm simply relaying my experience here - i'm not an expert, but the doctor that conducted my outpatient taper (not a general practitioner, but an experienced drug and alcohol detox clinic doctor, for what it's worth) was confident in reassuring me that i'd be fine - and i was. His explanation was that the long half-life - as i recall - made it ok to dose once a day - at least late in the reduction process, when i was fully stabilised and tapering.
I seem to recall that he recommended i stick to a consistent dosing regimen - but showed no concern at my queries about taking a single dose of diazepam per day.

That was more convenient for me, so i went with the "once a day" option; also, i was looking to shake my psychological reliance on benzos to sleep - so i dosed in the morning.

As i said - it worked out just fine. No discernible withdrawal discomfort or struggle with reducing or jumping off.

"YMMV" and the usual disclaimers - but for me, what you are saying contradicts the medical advice i was given - and followed - and i successfully got off benzos this way.
I can only tell you what my experience is - i'm not qualified to give informed medical opinions; but i dosed according to what i was told by someone i fully trusted to do so, and it worked without a problem.

Note, that I am referring to the final couple of months of a taper - but it didn't present any problem or risk for me to dose diazepam daily.
Tinker55 - you're probably right, but i've not had the medical or pharmacological training to say whether that is true or not. I can only really refer to my own experience, and what generally seems to be the most typically accepted practise.

If that is the "last couple months" of a taper what you are saying has absolutely no bearing on my advice and you should not be contradicting my advice. The advice I gave was correct. Once daily dosing will not work for for at least the first month of withdrawal. He needs constant blood levels.

Your dosing is possible during the last months, but at least 2 ondr 3rd months, of a taper, though. That part I am not debating or anything.

Last edited:
Note how i said "Is there a misunderstanding in communication here or something?"

I'm not interested in having an argument about this; i just want to offer infectedmushroom whatever support and knowledge we can.
I don't care who is "right" or "wrong" here - but you don't seem to want to even acknowledge that there are differing opinions being voiced here.
He's on a pretty low dose, has been using benzos habitually for a fairly brief period (a month or so? Did i read that correctly?) - so i don't see why you are being so defensive.
I'm prepared to admit if i am wrong or mistaken - but i'm talking from personal experience that seems fairly relevant to this discussion - so i'm not sure why you're taking such a hard line about your opinion.

This is about attempting to help a guy out by answering his question, is it not?
Maybe if you drop the attitude we may have a better chance of achieving that.

I am not arguing at all spacejunk; I said we were both correct.

I am not being defensive -I'm just stressing to not to be dismissive - or anything.

Chill out guys. I originally started this thread wanting to know how bad it is to regress on a Benzo taper plan rather than relapse from a purely theoretical perspective.

Then, (self-fulfilling prophecy) I actually did it (bad choice.) If I just stuck with 0.5mg for a couple days longer I would probably be stable on it now but I haven't so I have to make the drop again.

The advice to get on a longer acting Benzo is ideal, but given my circumstances, splitting my dose up seems the best route to take.

I happen to be doing this with a doctors "support-" this doctor prescribed me the remaining Xanax I have to get off the drug - however he's not well educated on Benzo withdrawal as A) He didn't switch me to a longer acting Benzo and B) He said I could go cold turkey from *three* months (I was only using for one) of 2mg +/-per day alprazolam abuse.

No we are just talking about you taking 0.5mg once a day and the logic behind it and how you figure that is a good idea? you need to take it tid and it will work better: you need constant blood levels.

No we are just talking about you taking 0.5mg once a day and the logic behind it and how you figure that is a good idea? you need to take it tid and it will work better: you need constant blood levels.

I figured (past tense) it would be okay but after receiving the advice in this thread I've decided to take it more than once daily - did you miss that admission in my previous post? Look again.