• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzo substitute?

crocodile007

Greenlighter
Hi all, first post so forgive me if I'm in the wrong thread.

I am prescribed Fluoxetine (Prozac) for daily use and have a repeat for Diazepam due to my ongoing issues with health anxiety (mainly my kids health) - I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to any substances that can "numb" you more effectively? I feel like my mind is in overload all of the time and I struggle to focus without some kind of worry about my kids health and safety.

I just want to be able to relax for once. It's like my brain is in overdrive all the time.

Any suggestions or do my Dr's have it right with this combo?

I'm open to trying anything at this point as I've currently resorted to a few beers with the Valium to get the desired effect but I know from reading the forums that this is potentially a bad combination. I'm just looking for a bit or relief no matter how temporary.
The best way to describe it is that the pressure is so much (I'm also running my own business during Covid) that I'd happily let someone put me in an included coma for a few months just for the break.

Thanks for listening.

I'd say your doctors are probably right, I can't think of anything more numbing than an anti-depressant and benzo combo. Besides adding other downers which is pretty risky!

Have you ever tried mindfulness / meditation? It's pretty good for quieting down a ruminating mind. I was highly sceptical at first. But 10 mins a day can do wonders

To be frank I'm not 100% sure what you are asking...

If the question is, "is there anything more effective than a benzo?" the answer is no, not really.

That said there are benzos that are more effective than others in the relief of anxiety. Xanax in particular is generally more effective than valium for this purpose. If diazepam isnt giving you relief there is a chance xanax will.

But I'd recommend tremendous caution in the long term frequent use of benzodiazepines. Only very rarely does it make sense to use them on a daily basis.

Thanks for the input, I'll try runnign with the updated Prozac/Diazepam combo see how I get on. I just want to break for a bit where I can be completely out of it for just a little while without resorting to any "hard drugs" lie heroin etc. Hopefully this makes sense?

You could try phenibut but if you don't have the discipline to do it like once a week it can turn into a nasty addiction

Maybe kava

Hi all, first post so forgive me if I'm in the wrong thread.

I am prescribed Fluoxetine (Prozac) for daily use and have a repeat for Diazepam due to my ongoing issues with health anxiety (mainly my kids health) - I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to any substances that can "numb" you more effectively? I feel like my mind is in overload all of the time and I struggle to focus without some kind of worry about my kids health and safety.

I just want to be able to relax for once. It's like my brain is in overdrive all the time.

Any suggestions or do my Dr's have it right with this combo?

I'm open to trying anything at this point as I've currently resorted to a few beers with the Valium to get the desired effect but I know from reading the forums that this is potentially a bad combination. I'm just looking for a bit or relief no matter how temporary.
The best way to describe it is that the pressure is so much (I'm also running my own business during Covid) that I'd happily let someone put me in an included coma for a few months just for the break.

Thanks for listening.
How long have you been taking the Fluoxetine, and at what dose? Same with the Diazepam...How long/what dose have you been taking?

Welcome to the board ;)

There’s plenty of drugs out there that are more numbing and relaxing than Valium but because we promote harm reduction there’s really nothing more to do unless you want to end up with an opiate addiction

How long have you been taking the Fluoxetine, and at what dose? Same with the Diazepam...How long/what dose have you been taking?

Welcome to the board ;)
Fluoxetine 20mg for months, just upped to 40mg - diazepam on and off for months as and when needed 10mg

There’s plenty of drugs out there that are more numbing and relaxing than Valium but because we promote harm reduction there’s really nothing more to do unless you want to end up with an opiate addiction
I’m pretty good at managing levels without being addicted. My last 28 pack of Valium lasted 6 months so I’m pretty responsible.
Just wondered if there was something more calming/effective?

i don't think SSRIs or any serotonine agonist is good for you, you need some adrenagic medications like PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE (OTC in my country), also benzo are problematic i think pregabaline will help better, you can took it along side with benzo and other meds. but start very slow.
Thanks, I’ll look into it

To @crocodile007, I would advise you to tell your doctor that your medications are not working as you would like. First, the antidepressant Prozac or fluoxetine is too "stimulating", I always wanted to move when I took it and my mind would not stop thinking. And diazepam is an excellent muscle relaxant, but as an anxiolytic I don't know, I would go for the clonazepam option. Someone mentioned alprazolam, but I find it to be too hypnotic.

And please don't go the opioid / opiate route, you won't even notice when it's too late.

i don't think SSRIs or any serotonine agonist is good for you, you need some adrenagic medications like PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE (OTC in my country), also benzo are problematic i think pregabaline will help better, you can took it along side with benzo and other meds. but start very slow.

In my experience, Pregabalin doesn't do shit for my anxiety, maybe the first day you take it but then with daily use it's not effective at all and you end up using monster doses and gaining chronic tolerance.

Fluoxetine 20mg for months, just upped to 40mg - diazepam on and off for months as and when needed 10mg
I'm not a huge fan of antidepressants in general (having tried almost all the SSRI's/SNRI's/Atypical antipsychotics/anticonvulsants...) But I would say see how you are on 40 mg's of Fluoxetine.. It did have some benefit for me when I was first put on it back in 2017 - less rumination, improved sleep, and I just felt generally a bit calmer.

How long have you been on the 40 mg's of Fluoxetine? I started to notice the benefits around 6-8 weeks in.

I'm not a huge fan of antidepressants in general (having tried almost all the SSRI's/SNRI's/Atypical antipsychotics/anticonvulsants...) But I would say see how you are on 40 mg's of Fluoxetine.. It did have some benefit for me when I was first put on it back in 2017 - less rumination, improved sleep, and I just felt generally a bit calmer.

How long have you been on the 40 mg's of Fluoxetine? I started to notice the benefits around 6-8 weeks in.
I’ve only just been increased. Been on 20mg for ages. Hopefully 40mg will help when it starts to take effect.