• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo issue - long term prescription use - advice?

dilated_pupils

Bluelighter
I've been on benzo's now for almost 8 years for severe anxiety and panic attacks. Usually my anxiety is just horrible throughout the day but lately I've been waking up feeling completely horrible; to the point of shaking and such until my meds kick in.

I've been on k-pins for a while now, ever since I switched doctors -- he believes k-pins are less addictive than my previous benzo's (which makes no sense considering most benzo's are highly additive).

I asked to go back to Valium and Ativan (which worked so well for me, valium for anxiety and ativan for panic attacks); however instead he increases my k-pins to 30 extra a month.

So now after 7-8 years of a benzo tolerance k-pins don't do anything for me -- I honestly took 90 1mg k-pins and 2 double shots of liquor and felt nothing (do not try this, I know it was dumb).

My biggest issue is, is that I can't switch doctors because he gives me adderall, lamictal (for bipolar) and suboxone as well. I need to get back on the valium and ativan but I have no idea what to do.

Anyone have advice on how to find a doctor that will read my papers from 7-8 years ago showing I was on my original meds so I can get back on the benzo's I need?

-dp

this just seems ridiculous that he wont listen to you... if those are the benzos that work for you then those are the ones that work for you. just because he is a doctor doesn't mean he knows better... i mean he is way more knowledgeable in medicine obviously but you know your body and mind and what works for you... especially if you have been on benzos for 8 years. in this case your doctor needs to work with you and discuss your opinion and what he suggests. essentially, you should be working together rather than him telling you what you need.

and he is wrong about klonopin being any less addictive. i find it odd that he thinks giving you more pills is going to have less potential for addiction. like you said they are all very addictive and i think if you have been on them for this many years already this shouldn't be an issue. if you have taken them for this long without problems i don't know why this doc would give you kpins solely because of its "less addictive nature." i have awful anxiety and panic attacks like you and have been on and off benzos for a few years... and one thing i am certain of is that each benzo is very different... and if you have become accustomed to a specific one, you probably find comfort in that benzo... i bet this situation is causing you a lot of unnecessary anxiety.

i think any doctor you go to will have sympathy for your situation. you just need to be firm with that doctor or a new doctor and just tell them exactly what you need. i don't think you will come off as having a drug seeking behavior because you are already getting a benzo, you just want a different one. just literally tell that doctor that he is wrong and clonazepam is NOT working and you think valium is a much better solution. he should listen to you especially because you have already taken it for years and you know it works. let him know that you are you so stressed out that you cant even get started with your day because you are nervous and violently shaking and that you need him to listen to you because you cant function like this.

and if you find any new doctor im sure if you show them your medical record and they see you have previously been on valium and ativan and it works much better than klonopin i dont see any reason why they shouldn't understand.

hope this helps!