• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

being happy and content

While this is true most of the time, certain enzyme/chemical deficiencies will never be cured by trying to change your thought pattern.

If a critical metabolic step is not functioning, no amount of happy thoughts will save you. This is true for people with dopamine disorders that cannot feel joy until they are cured of their illness by direct chemical intervention.

The word "cure" does not belong there! No cures with meds but only temporary betterment!

There are other methods that need to be taken into consideration, as treatments.
I agree that in advanced situations medicine betters the persons condition, but other methods should be added which most doctors do not even believe in, much less suggest.

I have diabetes-SEVERE- annd a friend (endocrinologist) who believes in other therapies also, suggested not to let anyone put me on insulin, since my diabetes was fluctuating, hence my body making insulin, but at times insuficient.
It had reached in astronomical proportions, and I brought it down to normality by diet alone.

My neck had (cervical region) had subjugations and the only sollution suggested (surgery), but not advisable in the cervical vertebrae area. It has been CURED and repaired totally, through Chiropractic and other Body Therapy and the X-Rays prior and after display the difference. Remarkable! Don't ever put down alternative therapies!!!

Last edited:
Well, let's hold on.

Yes, a patient who sees a commercial on television about a medication, and asks her doctor about it, does not have enough information to know whether she needs it or should take it. But the doctor does. That's why we train doctors, that's why we license them, and that's why we require prescriptions for these medications.

Pharmaceuticals advertise in this context of regulation.

Regarding the efficacy and safety of FDA approved anti-depressants versus illicit drugs... I completely disagree with the poster who said that they come with as much risk and harm as illicit drugs used as mood enhancers. Since he sounds like a MS, I'm sure he already knows why.

I also disagree with the implication of the statement that they are "hit or miss," which to me implies a nearly equal chance of them working or not working, based completely on luck. They don't get approved unless they work significantly better than a placebo.

I'm beginning to sound very disagreeable. So, I also think it's great that we're all talking about this, and I'm enjoying the discussion. :)
Respiridone
Side effects

Common side effects include akathisia, anxiety, dysphoria, insomnia, low blood pressure, muscle stiffness, muscle pain, sedation, sexual dysfunction, tremors, increased salivation, and stuffy nose. Risperidone has been associated with minimal to moderate weight gain, with one study finding that 26 to 38 percent of participants on the drug experienced weight gain.[8][9]

Occasionally breast tenderness and eventually lactation in both genders may occur. Many antipsychotics are known to increase prolactin because they inhibit dopamine. However, risperidone is known to increase prolactin to a greater extent than most other antipsychotics, such as quetiapine. Over 40 pituitary neoplasm cases have been reported worldwide. It is thought that once risperidone raises prolactin, it may cause prolactinoma, a benign tumor of the pituitary gland. Tumors, in general, aren't considered reversible. Medical therapy (dopamine agonists) may help reduce tumor size and restore normal reproduction and pituitary function, but if unsuccessful, surgery or radiation treatment may be required. This condition may recur if the patient is switched to a different antipsychotic. Risperdone has been known to cause increased thoughts of suicide.[10]

Risperidone can potentially cause tardive dyskinesia (TD),[11] extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS),[11] and neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS).[11] Risperidone may also trigger diabetes and more serious conditions of glucose metabolism, including ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar coma.[12]
=================================================================

This antipsycotic medication comes with an enormous amount of side affects and contraindications. They have been pushing this drug on just about everyone, and they ignore their complains, insisting in giving them more and more medications, each one to counteract each side effect. The person ends up taking a large number of counteracting meds, that in the end, they end up with huge problems, one in specific with heart attacks. Only to be eliminated when he stopped taking it himself. The reason they gave him? There was no other drug available that could do the job, adequately at the moment, so they kept him on it, regardless the consequences. The irony of it is, that the person had no schizophrenia what so ever-as he was misdiagnosed.
This medicine was-mass used- on a huge number of people regardless their problem. Is it not perhaps that the pharmaceutical companies push these, as a way of continuous research, but indiscriminately?

Last edited:
Just to return back to the subject of-BEING HAPPY AND CONTENT>

Happiness in itself is elusive. Instead of living the good life, we seek having a good time, cram all available time with pleasurable activities which we call FUN, we want to feel good.

The many faces of suffering are meaningful, not in spite, but with and through the pain, connecting us with our own humanity and reminding us that we share the same, that we are not alone, that we are meaningfully connected. When we persue pleasure itself, one is miserable.

Socrates famously declared that the unexamined life is not worth living. He persuaded people to care for truth, wisdom and self improvement. Grief, sadness, strife and unavoidably part of every life; self examination is crucial for being able to understand what makes us happy, who we are, which can be best understood in our relationship to the world-and how to make others happy.

I mean even in the mundane things...I;m happy if I'm walking in the rain and getting wet, it doesnt bring me down.

But it will take someone else down, and they'll be upset that I'm happy.

I know its all your own choice, but why do people choose to be upset and sad, instead of happy?
misery loves company

my girlfriend used to freak out a lot of things but i think, maybe being around me helped but she's quite intelligent and prob allowed herself some personal growth on her own, she doesnt get that way much anymore

this is a good thread. people need to just chill

especially my parents...

Last edited:
Just to return back to the subject of-BEING HAPPY AND CONTENT>

Happiness in itself is elusive. Instead of living the good life, we seek having a good time, cram all available time with pleasurable activities which we call FUN, we want to feel good.

The many faces of suffering are meaningful, not in spite, but with and through the pain, connecting us with our own humanity and reminding us that we share the same, that we are not alone, that we are meaningfully connected. When we persue pleasure itself, one is miserable.

Socrates famously declared that the unexamined life is not worth living. He persuaded people to care for truth, wisdom and self improvement. Grief, sadness, strife and unavoidably part of every life; self examination is crucial for being able to understand what makes us happy, who we are, which can be best understood in our relationship to the world-and how to make others happy.
this is why i practice (try to practice) "sustainable hedonism"... i can feel *good* when i need some release, as long as it doesnt potentially detract from a *content* lifestyle. aka, long-term-planning hedonism (as far as my philosophy about how to make myself happy goes, in relation to feeling good)

then there's also the contentment part, which is harder to explain, and i guess thats why this thread exists... i guess it's "wisdom" aka something some people get "wise" about? (for lack of better wordage)

Regarding anti-psychotics: they're imperfect, and can have serious side-effects, but for the people to whom they're prescribed, they're generally better than psychosis.

My view regarding happiness: three pillars: 1) have positive goals that are achievable, fit with your interests, fit with your life (e.g. in the case of a career-goal, make sure the career is something that will actually put food in your mouth), and towards which you must strive, 2) be sociable, make friends, create relationships, 3) remain positive.

this is why i practice (try to practice) "sustainable hedonism"... i can feel *good* when i need some release, as long as it doesnt potentially detract from a *content* lifestyle. aka, long-term-planning hedonism (as far as my philosophy about how to make myself happy goes, in relation to feeling good)

then there's also the contentment part, which is harder to explain,

and i guess thats why this thread exists... i guess it's "wisdom" aka something some people get "wise" about? (for lack of better wordage)

>I guess with contentment you are refering to similar as what I addressed someone else in post 69, just including a portion of it below!

[[[Happiness is not an emotion as you said, it is a state of fulfillment, a state of being.However, I think you are using the wrong expression to describe what you seem to have difficulty with, being feeling contentment within your feeling of sadness, not distressed as such, for you have already accepted death as being a part of life.]]]

Meaning, a peace within! Well, one way of being happy is content!

Last edited:
Regarding anti-psychotics: they're imperfect, and can have serious side-effects, but for the people to whom they're prescribed, they're generally better than psychosis.

My view regarding happiness: three pillars: 1) have positive goals that are achievable, fit with your interests, fit with your life (e.g. in the case of a career-goal, make sure the career is something that will actually put food in your mouth), and towards which you must strive, 2) be sociable, make friends, create relationships, 3) remain positive.
Yep perhaps, for the most obvious, but what is better, psychosis or a heart attack?
I don't disagree that medication has its place, as long as it is temporary and other approaches are also suggested or allowed.

One of the consulting psychiatrist in the clinic reported that two of her patients had heart attack within two weeks apart and she was upset but also puzzled.
She told me that she feared they might be suicidal and as soon as their depression started to come forward with the start of their opening up to her and started bonding as in a way of therapy which is important for healing-as soon as the depression started surfacing, she feared it and rather then work with it, she instantly put them on antidepressants!
That to me, is inconceivable! Of course a person could end up with a heart attack as both her patients did. On one hand they were encouraged to open up, as soon as they did and this state comes forth and fully encompassing them, anti-depressants put the lead on and that was the result! Depression is not always bad but part and parcel of healing. One needs to know how to embrace that and fall into its despair and as long as supported by someone competent, it will start to integrate into the whole!!

PS I agree with your concept of happiness, and as long as one has passion toward whatever they choose to do as a profession, for they spend their whole life, and most of their days doing it, they have to love it and receive something of benefit to their whole being, besides the money to survive!

Heart-attacks aren't caused by the anti-depressants she was likely using. Either it was simply a coincidence, or perhaps she handles patients that are already at a high risk for cardiac problems.

Putting someone with depression on medication, while continuing therapy, and insisting, if possible, on things like exercise, more regular sleep, etc., is SOP.

Heart-attacks aren't caused by the anti-depressants she was likely using. Either it was simply a coincidence, or perhaps she handles patients that are already at a high risk for cardiac problems.

Putting someone with depression on medication, while continuing therapy, and insisting, if possible, on things like exercise, more regular sleep, etc., is SOP.
I would not call it simply coincidence, when they did not have any heart problems prior, nor after the anti-depresants were removed, on both of those patients. In both, it occured as they were fully imersed in the depression, as she evoked for them to allow it to surface. The antidepresants suppressed this phase/state, and hence also their ability to feel and express what they were feeling. It all came back to normal when the antidepresants were discontinued and she was able to deal directly with their depressive stage.

I would not call it simply coincidence, when they did not have any heart problems prior, nor after the anti-depresants were removed, on both of those patients. In both, it occured as they were fully imersed in the depression, as she evoked for them to allow it to surface. The antidepresants suppressed this phase/state, and hence also their ability to feel and express what they were feeling. It all came back to normal when the antidepresants were discontinued and she was able to deal directly with their depressive stage.

Anti-depressants tend to lower stress and anxiety. As I understand you, you're claiming that the anti-depressants somehow prevented the patients from expressing emotions, and that these bottled up emotions then wreaked havoc on their hearts.

Anti-depressants simply don't work like that.

Tricyclic Antidepressants might lead to cardiac abnormalities in those susceptible to it.

Tricyclics are being phased out. SSRIs have a much better safety profile, but still carry some risk of harm.

Tricyclics are being phased out. SSRIs have a much better safety profile, but still carry some risk of harm.
Ah, thanks but this >but still carry some risk of harm. ...is always the case, since depression is something to be dealt with and not changed over to another mood by antidepressant's the way I see it, ofcourse I understand that they may have to do at start of therapy, but more then pills is needed. Depression is a state, where it is necessary for self healing, if one uses it as a tool and not view it as a malice to do away with-but used when there is danger of suicide as a temporary meassure, until dealt properly!

Ah, thanks but this >but still carry some risk of harm. ...is always the case, since depression is something to be dealt with and not changed over to another mood by antidepressant's the way I see it, ofcourse I understand that they may have to do at start of therapy, but more then pills is needed. Depression is a state, where it is necessary for self healing, if one uses it as a tool and not view it as a malice to do away with-but used when there is danger of suicide as a temporary meassure, until dealt properly!

Yes... and outcome studies show that the best results are achieved with a combination of medication and therapy, not just therapy.

In the case of SEVERE depression, even more drastic measures might be indicated, e.g. electroshock, deep-brain stimulation, et al.

Anti-depressants don't simply change your mood...

^ mmm, I think optimism can be learned, actually. Ilovetorelax, you might want to check out some books by Martin Seligman, who is a leading proponent of that view (and a very well respected one in the scientific community).

Tread with care though. Significant others don't always welcome gifts that suggest there's something about themselves that they can improve. Man, I remember that one time I decided to get my girlfriend three free sessions with a psychiatrist rather than her requested three free spa sessions... ;)

^ mmm, I think optimism can be learned, actually. Ilovetorelax, you might want to check out some books by Martin Seligman, who is a leading proponent of that view (and a very well respected one in the scientific community).

Tread with care though. Significant others don't always welcome gifts that suggest there's something about themselves that they can improve. Man, I remember that one time I decided to get my girlfriend three free sessions with a psychiatrist rather than her requested three free spa sessions... ;)
Jesus hoping Christ! Unbelievable....yet I will believe something like that kind of gift coming from you! She is still with you? Perhaps the psychiatric lessons could benefit the gift giver!

Geez! Unbilievable! A real killer when it comes to relationship advise, I have seen you giving!

And also usual to deny and go against what one requested!