• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Being branded a 'Druggie' by people...

Antikhristos said:
It's just ignorance at it's finest....

It never really bothered me until recently though. I have been experimenting with drugs since I was 14... and over the past two and a half years have used opiates heavily (on and off). Anywho my bestfriend since fucking grade school decided since I was a "druggie" he could no longer associate himself with me. I have a good reputation professionally and privately so I was a bit taken aback. The true issue was that he had just become a cop and I was now the scum off the earth. The last time I saw him he "jokingly" asked what I would do if
some bs special unit or what have you was to obtain a warrant and do some sort of raid on my home... he didn't like my response.

The term doesn't bother me anymore so then "Satanist" when I try to discuss spirituality/philosophy with the wrong person. But still I can't shake the feeling that my former friend and myself are going to end up like the 'Fox and the Hound'.

AK

same thing happened to me actually. its total bullshit. if you suspect your best friend has a "drug problem" then talk it over with them and try to help them. dont just fucking run away.

In school there's always gonna the class druggie. Even if the only thing that seperates them from their friends is one extra joint a week.
Everyone's always gonna make up stories about them racking up debts and o.d.ing and whatnot.

Hey, at least it's better than being the one everyone picks on.;)

Of course I get tired of it.
But all I can do is prove them wrong and do well in my work place, remain intelligent, and do something with my life. All while being a druggie.

vinylmesh said:
In school there's always gonna the class druggie. Even if the only thing that seperates them from their friends is one extra joint a week.
Everyone's always gonna make up stories about them racking up debts and o.d.ing and whatnot.

Hey, at least it's better than being the one everyone picks on.;)

see, thats whats fucked up about my story...when i was in school i had experimented with several drugs, but maybe had 20 total experiences. But everyone based who i was on what i looked like...its really fucked up when your high school principle smokes more weed than you do (and takes pills)...but since youve got the long hair son...your the druggie...fucking biggots:!

So now, all i do is be educated, and educate everyone else...i really dont care if people know i do drugs, or even what drugs i do...I will still blow my oxy, eat my acid, and smoke myself sober, but GODDAMNIT...your bullshit opinion doesnt count for horseshit!@#@@!!.......srry:\ :D

FlippingTop said:
Drinking till they throw up and do stupid things or smoking like a chimney seems to be acceptable 8) I'm sure everyone on here has experienced this, although friends have told me that things are very different in other countries :)

Exactly what i hate. Hypocritical fucks who think just cos its legal that booze isnt a drug. Its far more damaging socially/drain in resources in Britain than drugs.

All my friends, take just as much drugs as i do soo meh..
And also, good call on fuckin sober people lol

OP: i think a lot of depends on your social status. if you are a regular schmoe, in the US anyway, and you're under 40, doing drugs ain't that big a deal. as a general rule, most people i run into at least smoke pot and drink. talking about popping some vicodins or whatnot won't label you a drug user. however if you come from a christian family or live in the bible belt or are older and more 'mature', you will naturally be around more people who stereotype drug users. i manage a 7/11 and most of the employees there drink and or smoke pot. i'm positive that most of the customers do, being college kids and professors.

its usually a good idea to keep talk about heroin use and whatnot on the downlow. people view harder drugs more... well, harshly and for good reason. addiction can fuck with your life and make it so you cant function.

I concur it shits me to no end when people who drink copious amounts and smoke tons look down on you for doing drugs which do much less harm to you. My friends use to be all anti-drugs until i educated them but still got sober friends who I enjoy spending time with and they don't look down on me at all.

People who have never used drugs [besides alcohol, which i firmly believe is a drug] just do not understand. They find it easier to judge and label. Too bad they are the ones missing out!
I find it hypocritical as well when someone who drinks and smokes cigarettes judges those who smoke weed and do other drugs. I think alcohol and nicotine are farrrrr more addicting and harmful than some "harder" drugs.
I blame it on society and the government for planting all sorts of misconceptions in people's minds. Very few people look at both sides and realize that you can use drugs and still be a functional person; and I personally prefer those functional drug users :D We have more fun and a better understanding of life.
<3

What a brilliant thread, well responed to by an open minded, tolerant and knowledgable range of people.
People who take their drug use seriously and realise the potential social anxieties they can cause.

A lot of people i know just wouldnt talk about this kind of thing or just go on regardless of what friends/family think.

If we can be classed as "druggies" then let that be free from all the negative connotations the media, government and uneducated public perpetuate.

McFly said:
Exactly what i hate. Hypocritical fucks who think just cos its legal that booze isnt a drug. Its far more damaging socially/drain in resources in Britain than drugs.

Yeah this has been getting to me for the last ten years. To accept alcohol and tobacco as 'ok' is hugely hypocritical and born out of total ignorance and an unwillingness to understand things better.

We are much more interested in fear mongering than educating.

Go and drink till your liver rots and smoke cigarettes until your lungs are black as raisins and that's fine. Experience similarly damaging symptoms through the use of illegal substances and you are branded a druggie/junkie and everybody shakes their little heads and tuts.

It is very, very sad.

Legalise all drugs, break the stigma and increase the knowledge. Thats what I say.:|

I used to flaunt my drug use simply because I was trying to escape the "smart kid" branding that had already found me. I wanted to be different, or more interesting, or something other than just one straight-forward stereotype.

Now that I've grown up, and the people who know me know me for who I am rather than how I project myself, I've tried to be a bit more low-key about it. I'm VERY intense about several aspects of my life, but I've learned that I'm taken more seriously and get a lot more respect if I don't try and broadcast those things.

yeah i used to flaunt things so i picked up somewhat of a reputation, i thought it was cool to be into drugs. Foolish me, since then i've learned that doing drugs isn't acceptable in society and isn't held as respectable. Also i've come to learn being an addict is as pathetic as one can get. Not to offend some but i firmly believe that and learned it the hard way, i'm sure if your in that position deep down you think that and if not you will at some point and wish you had never started. nothing has ever made me feel so powerless in my life.

FlippingTop said:
I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this?

I'm pretty sick of people referring to me in this way. I used weed for the 1st time when I was about 16, and ecstasy when I was 19. I love raving, and take MDMA on a pretty regular basis (not usually in the most responsible manner mind...). I have tried cocaine a couple of times, but just see the appeal for it really =D I am so quite a regular drinker, and when out on student nights usually hit the poppers pretty hard =D

Having started university a year ago, I have noticed that people’s views of drug users are so low :\ Most people know VERY little about drugs, their effects and dangers, yet still seem to think its fine to judge me for any illegal substances I use. Drinking till they throw up and do stupid things or smoking like a chimney seems to be acceptable 8) I'm sure everyone on here has experienced this, although friends have told me that things are very different in other countries :)

Basically I was just wondering what others on her do about their drug use when it comes to their friends? I love all my friends, but know a lot of them look down on drug use, even if not consciously :( If I ever do get into a conversation about it with a non-using friend, I always explain that I have done a lot of research into what ever substance I chose to take, maybe have a tester and am being as careful about it as possible ;) but that usually just leads to funny looks, lol... :|

Bah, re-reading this its more of just a rant =D Think ill just not talk about my amazing nights out, and unbelievable experiences to people from now on 8)

SSoooo... Think ill snort abit of zolpidem before bed =D jokes ;)

wow thats gota b the most smilies used in a bluelight post ive ever seen.
yeah it sucks, but i dont tell ppl about my drug use who i dont think would approve and if ppl find out that dont, it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that they are mmissing out :D

That's like my ex-friend who told me I was a burnout (I work 40 hour weeks and still keep up a social life 8) ) and that I was a drug addict. He also told me that I was ruining my life and becoming a waste of space. (See comment above about a full time job.)

People just say things they hear to down on drug users. Using =/= Abusing. I doubt they even understand the words that're coming out of their mouths.

I hate it. I honestly believe that drug use is completely natural, a "fourth drive" that all people have, but since mainstream society does not condone drug use most people are left ignorant to the facts. I don't mind explaining that I smoke weed, but some people freak out when you mention psychedelics, and god forbid you say anything about hard drug use. The college that I go to is very straight laced, and only a handful of close friends know the extent of my drug use and past addiction.

If people want to know, I will tell them. But I have had many many friends in the past who tried to constantly harp on me or stopped talking to me because they thought I was ruining my life and would become a drug addict. Well. THey were kind of right.
But still, there are people who just do drugs and are completely stupid about it. Or there's people who use substances and actually do research things beforehand and read about it. The counselor at my rehab was COMPLETELY thrown off by the fact that I actually research drugs before I do them.. and that I graduated high school in the top ten percent of my class. It sucks that as soon as you tell some people that you use drugs, they instantly assume that you are a low-life person. I don't try to justify it anymore, if someone wants to sit in their ignorance then let them. I don't care what people think anymore.

oh my god this kid at work is soo bad for judging people who actually like going out and having a good time it sends me nuts!!!

his idea of a walk on the wild side is "OH MAN lets see if we can drive all the way back to the depot without changing from 2nd gear"

jeez