Hi Bluelighters
This is not a very interesting thread that
I'm starting. I'm just after an answer
Q.I have found a slab of beer at work and
it has a brewed date of 'Sept 1998'.Now
thats some 2 years ago now..Is this safe
to drink ?
Cheers eveyone

Yes - if it was kept in a cool dark place it will be fine.....if you have any further doubts please send the slab over and I will test it for you
wink.gif

Not a word Tarsarlan and KompleX hehehhe
wink.gif

------------------
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

Cheers Haste !
I'll crack a few tonite
and see how I go..
As for sending it to your place .hahahaha
I get angry when those nasty glass
collectors at pubs take my treasured beer
away before I'm finished..
"hey mate theres a good 2 drops left in
that beer grrrrrh"

Hey BayCityRolla - True the test is in the Tasting, however working for a brewery we put a use by date of 6 months on our beer & at a real stretch would probably drink some of our own stuff anywhere up to say 9 - 12 months after bottling (but it wouldn't be sellable) - 2 years is probably pushing it.
However as Haste mentions the better the conditions under which it was stored the better it will survive, & I've drunk some of my own home brew up to 2 years old - mind you can't remember what it was like...
Now there could be a lesson there.....
So try with care.

Hey Dionysuschild ( what a username )
If the beer is off..Will it have a certain
smell or taste .? or maybe some strange
colouring ?
Cheers Mate

BayCityRolla - trust me you'll know the beer is off by the taste - just sip it and all will be revealed.
p.s. I've had five year old guiness at it was fine
smile.gif

------------------
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly
[This message has been edited by haste (edited 13 September 2000).]

why dont you EZ test it and see??
j/k (sorry im being silly)

Yeah as Haste says - you'll know if it's turned. You won't even need to taste it just smell it - It will smell really scanky. If it smells OK have a sip - & if that's OK then enjoy some well aged beer.
DC

ami - LMOA hehehehehehehehe
smile.gif

------------------

"oh no the ez test says this is speed... damn bunk beer!"
*giggle*
back on topic tho... australian beers tend not to go off as they are predominantly chemical. Smallish breweries, such as you find in the UK, will have a used by date on their beers cos they go stale and taste like shit... I have experienced this firsthand back in the UK and it isn't pleasant... but for the most part aussie beers should be fine if they are stored nicely.
------------------
The Strange Guy with the Bright Girly Pink Strange Hair

Thanks for all you input..
Gonna suck down a few on saturday, so will
know then if its ok or not !
As for a ez-test...well I've been known
to do some silly things when I'm Drunk..
So I think I might pull the kit out and
see If I get a reaction...
Purple to Black in 3 seconds...shit I will
be one pissed dude then !!!
Cheers

Used to be a bar chick so i probably should know the answer to this but the best i can do is:
i vaguely remember reading on a box (coldies, i think) something like 'best used within 12 months of date brewed'. Your slab probably won't be as nice as it would have 2 years ago but it won't be 'off'. Drink up, i say.
------------------
to the crazy person, the normal one is insane