• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Been Clean off dope for 3 months

Got 18 months clean on sunday. Went skydiving yesterday again. Hoping to get my license here soon. Moved out to San Marcos and finishing my major out there in marketing. NA sucks here so i am working the steps out of AA and doing that program now. Things are good. Drugs arent my problem anymore. Still got some things to work on with me though. Still got a lot of fears that hold me back. Still really awkward in social situations. Dont talk much. Keep to myself. Dont have many friends anymore.. but whatever. I try and not focus on that stuff but sometimes it gets me down. Ah well.. still a hell of a lot better than where i used to be

Hey Man congrats on 18 months. As I was reading through this I was hoping to get to the end and see you were still sober...

Keep your head up and keep doin!

This was the first thread I posted in when you were 3 months clean <3. It's good to hear back from you. You are a TRUE success story <3.

Thx! Just wanna keep you updated on my milestones of recovery and show you it does work! :]

Thx! Just wanna keep you updated on my milestones of recovery and show you it does work! :]

Heh...funny how things work out when we're willing to follow some pretty basic steps. And San Marcos isn't far from Austin where we've got some pretty solid meetings!

dude, i didnt read all 17 pages but saw clean for 3 months and just want to say congrats! thats quite an accomplishment. been trying for 2 months now and most i went is 7-8 days. been on and off for a bit but still hitting withdrawals/depression. but for real, congrats on those 3 months. thats quite the accomplishment. hopefully i am there soon!

OMG man I cant believe its been 21 months clean for you CONGRATS Are you still keeping it up? How is school? I am really happy to hear someone got out alive an dis doing so well...

It will take a while with the social anxiety we all suffer from that after recovery but it will pass and building new friendships is going to be hard but just keep doing your best and everything will fall into place.

guys, when you say "clean" do you mean clean from YOUR DRUG OF CHOICE THAT RUINED YOUR LIFE or CLEAN FROM ALL DRUGS!? I tend to still dabble in others but far, far, far away from the dope. I'll smoke weed due to my cancer/tumor that the doc. scripted me. I'll also take xanny once in a bit that the Dr. ONCE scripted me for the same as the weed but has taken away since I came forth as a junkie, so now I borrow from another friend.

Is that even clean? I dont drink, do dope, do coke, do anything.. no needles invovled in life, nothing too dangerous. its just weed to sleep and xanny to chill/sleep/calm anxiety.

so, am I sober or what? I know its totally up to me but whatever.. CUZ I AM SOBER!

Amazing, Ive read this whole thread numerous times since u started it n i just wanna tell u what a great success story u make keep it up.

^Sobriety means different things to different people.

totally agree here; which is why I am NOT always welcomed at AA/NA meetings. dude, I SAVED my own life but some people do not believe it and some seem to think I am still on that track of going down hill... and going down FAST! I refuse to believe that and I refuse to think that would EVER happen. people stay sober different ways and for different reasons. sure, it may sound whacky but it gets done and gets done quick.

why do you give a shit what these people think.. placing to much importance on what others think is the root of the social anxiety that the fellowships talk about.. whats right for you is right.. end of thought. Just have to make sure its right for you BBT.. free from active addiction is wHat I look for and have..

exactly how I see it and it still amazes how much life has change in just 4 months.

Hey guys, Ill have 3 years clean and sober in February. Got 1 semester left of school until I get my undergrad. Think I am going to take a year or so off until I find work. Want to travel and really get into my hobbies. May move to Colorado to snowboard and continue skydiving and rock climbing. Still pretty withdrawn from everyone and everything.. still struggle a lot. I finally took it upon myself to find some counseling this year after talking about it for a year.. trying to do this whole church thing with some of the college kids but I never really understand it all.. I'm always on the fence about all that stuff. Took a step back from the program, not really connected there which sucks. Isolation gets to me. However still have not found it necessary to pick up a drink or a drug, skydiving definitely took the place of that. hah

Hey guys, Ill have 3 years clean and sober in February. Got 1 semester left of school until I get my undergrad. Think I am going to take a year or so off until I find work. Want to travel and really get into my hobbies. May move to Colorado to snowboard and continue skydiving and rock climbing. Still pretty withdrawn from everyone and everything.. still struggle a lot. I finally took it upon myself to find some counseling this year after talking about it for a year.. trying to do this whole church thing with some of the college kids but I never really understand it all.. I'm always on the fence about all that stuff. Took a step back from the program, not really connected there which sucks. Isolation gets to me. However still have not found it necessary to pick up a drink or a drug, skydiving definitely took the place of that. hah
good for you, man. if you dont mind me asking, what was your drug of choice? also, how often did you use? seems like the things you are doing now may have been things that were NOT being done when using heavy? esp. if it was dope or heavy drinking.

those things that bring the rush, like sky diving, mountain climbing, etc, are always a good replacement.

even when using I always saw a counselor; I am still using and on methadone and see a counselor; do I use as much as I once did? not even close. I am using once a month, every 2 weeks if that, rather than 2-4 times a day. yes, I am still trying to kick ALL, but still struggle w/ it at times because I just MISS IT after 2 weeks and I get the urge. and then I lie to myself and say its OK to go grab something because I dont go out, I dont drink, etc, so what is it to spend only $100 bucks, ya know!? I lie to myself and make up my own excuses.

Yeah man, I feel ya.
Uhm.. well I start dabbling when I was around 10 or 11. Slowly progressed. Got addicted to benzos first, then opiates came into play, then extacy. But heroin was the one that took me out. Once I got into that shit just started crashing down. Starting do hard drugs when I was like 15 and got clean at 19. It was really anything and everything.

Yeah I was always an adrenaline junky before I even started doing drugs and alcohol. So that's just where I found my belonging.
If anything the one thing that being clean has done for me is given me my active lifestyle back and made me more inclined to pursue life which drug addiction robbed me from.

Weed was an everything thing from early on. Never put down the weed. Once I got into pills I never really quit with that. Towards the end I just ran out of ways to support my habit and tolerance that I had.. so it was like every other day. It just got really hard to score. Constant craving and fiending and pain/suffering. Just wasn't worth it in the end..

guys, when you say "clean" do you mean clean from YOUR DRUG OF CHOICE THAT RUINED YOUR LIFE or CLEAN FROM ALL DRUGS!? I tend to still dabble in others but far, far, far away from the dope. I'll smoke weed due to my cancer/tumor that the doc. scripted me. I'll also take xanny once in a bit that the Dr. ONCE scripted me for the same as the weed but has taken away since I came forth as a junkie, so now I borrow from another friend.

Is that even clean? I dont drink, do dope, do coke, do anything.. no needles invovled in life, nothing too dangerous. its just weed to sleep and xanny to chill/sleep/calm anxiety.

so, am I sober or what? I know its totally up to me but whatever.. CUZ I AM SOBER!

Like so many discussions around recovery, I personally find ssemantics get in the way too much. Are you where you want to be with regards to your substance consumption? If so, crack a smile, carry on, and don't worry about the label imo.

I still get wrapped up in it myself when people say they've been clean for x amount of time and then go on to say they're on methadone/buprenorphine. I do a little double take and a voice in my head says 'hang on you're not clean at all you've just got a new addiction', but that's my shit to deal with and learn to be less judgemental. If that's clean for them and they're happy with where they are then more power to them. It's not a competetition and if it bugs me that they're describing that as clean then clearly it's me that has an issue that needs working on.

Last edited:
i work a lot which helps me stay sober, im saving for a car, and once i buy one in a couple weeks, i feel i wont be as bored in sobreity as i have. its hard being sober, but i dont feel like going back to drugs to get rid of my boredom will help. ive tried getting sober for the past couple years and i am 22 now and realize i would rather get sober now, then be 40 still trying to get it right.

Just graduated.. moved back home with the folks. Having a hard time with everything. Feel like I lost my center. Bored.... trying to move to CO to be a ski bum for the winter. Feeling a little hopeless recently..

Sending much love your way <3 Congrats on graduating :) hope to see you back in CO for our beautiful winter :)