• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

be careful Strychnine laced pills surfaced in europe.

hiroshi

Bluelighter
Was browsing the news at ministryofsound.com and came across this little post. http://ministryofsound.com/news/news/01_05_01.asp
Poisonous Ecstasy to hit UK Dutch police have informed UK Customs & Excise of the possibility of ecstasy laced with poison arriving in the UK. Some tablets recently seized in Holland have been found to contain around 8 milligrams of Strychnine, a potentially fatal dose of the highly poisonous substance. Currently, nearly all of the ecstasy consumed in the UK comes directly from Holland, hugely increasing the chances of the lethal pills arriving in the UK.
In a statement just released, UK drugs tsar Keith Halliwell said: "This
illustrates the dangers of buying and using illegal drugs - the criminals
supplying them are only interested in their profits. "I have been warning
about the dangers of adulterants within drugs. If young people saw the
conditions under which many of these concoctions are prepared and the
ingredients that they put into them, they would never touch the stuff again.
"Some of these substances are inherently dangerous to anyone who takes
them." The tablets in question are apparently yellow with brown flecks, but
no print. The diameter was 9mm and 4.4mm thick.
If you are planning on taking ecstasy, do be careful what you buy.
just wanted to let everyone to know bout these pills showing up and to be careful what you buy.. last thing we need is more deaths for the media to feed off of.

Sorry.. but this seems to remind me of an identical post about this time last year... I'm sure aj can give a better insight into this one, being in NL and all, but I don't believe it.. flat out I have never tested a pill which tested positive for strychnine (and the E2 can test for it..) so there you go..
TheGamer

yes this is very odd. i can vouch for it being an identical report to the one last year, down to the exact dimensions and colour of the pill. i am deeply suspicious of this, seems like scare tactics, dragging up an old report for the sake of getting some press.

I can agree with you (i for one have never seen a unbranded pill) but none the less **if** it was true.. better to least bring it to attention, if anything it may cause a few kids to be a bit more careful and pay attention to what they are buying.. (as if at least 1 life was saved (or extended) from it then its worth it.. (just my 2c)

I just checked with DIMS.
If strychnine would have been found recently, they would have known.
They have not found any strychnine except for that 1 (!) tablet last year that caused all the hysteria.
After this very first pill, not a single other strychnine pill was found. So this was just a 'joke' last year. Someone trying to be funny.
Now, cut the crap, call Ministry and tell 'em to take that story off ! before you know it, all the nonsense goes around again.....
aj

I just called, and left a message on the voicemail of the editor for Ministry Magazine, and ministryofsound.com
This is the message I left,
"My Name is [name] and I am calling on behalf of the company Star-Dust Testing, of which I am the Director. We are a London-based harm reduction service, and provide on-site pill testing services, and sell ecstasy testing kits.
An article which has recently appeared on your website incorrectly tells of strychnine-laced ecstasy tablets siezed in Holland. I have just confirmed with our contacts in Holland that the DIMS (which is responsible for monitoring the contents of ecstasy tablets tested in Dutch laboratories) have no such information. The ONLY ecstasy tablet to have been tested to contain strychnine was a SINGLE pill found last year. No other strychnine-laced pills have ever been found.
That said, the article posted is an exact copy of the one that circulated last year."
I provided information for me to be reached... so lets see what happens.
TheGamer

i think it would be more worthwhile to email/call "UK drugs tsar Keith Halliwell".
unless someone at Ministry Mag stumbled across a year old press release and didnt bother to check the date, this is a blatant example of disinformation.
go to the top, and let em know we aint fooled. a lie is a lie, regardless of how good the intentions are.

Just got off the phone with the editor for ministryofsound.com who didn't really give me any details on where he got this information, but I did remind him that they published a similar article last year.
He didn't know who I was, he didn't know what the DIMS is, and he didn't have a clue what an EZ-Test kit was
biggrin.gif

He says he'll do something about it.. so give them a day or two and well... who knows now.
TheGamer

strychnine is an old lie.
it makes a lot more sense for acid than E, because it's the only poison that you could reasonably get a fatal dose of in blotter form.
if you only cared about money, why make a 'lethal pill'? strychnine is a poison (it works on the glycine system, i believe) and absolutely could not be passed off as a drug.
if you were going to make poison sold as drugs (a myth probably as old as the illegal drug trade) why wouldn't you use something more practical, rather than strychnine, which is mostly a mystery-novel poison and no longer used for rats?
it's probably not widely available anymore. it is possible to synthesize, but the synthesis of strychnine was a kind of landmark in organic chemistry; making MDMA is baking soda and vinegar by comparison.
to keep this on topic =)
strychnine is a tertiary amine and should not react similarly to MDMA with the Marquis reagent. i suspect it would either give no reaction, or possibly smoke or fizz.

agreed on all points.
but it is detected by E2 (Mandelin). i have to drag out my text to find the exact colour, but the last time the media in australia started throwing around the "rat poison" claims me and chemgen had a look and verified that strychnine was detectable with Mandelin.
of course we have a bigger battle on our hands with the "ground glass" myth.

Actually, the dictionary defines strychnine as being used as on old CNS stimulant in the past. Why the usage stop, though? It's not used as a rat poison anymore either? i wonder why.
------------------

Last edited:
I think this was a government setup. They probably laced the pill and planted to be found and tested only to revesl this horrible truth. Just another scare tactic. If it was produced by illegal drug manufacturers then why was there only one found? Sounds a bit suss to me.

not really. =)
ground glass isn't soluble in water.
MDMA hydrochloride is.
so if you were exceptionally paranoid, you could try that...

"I think this was a government setup. They probably laced the pill and planted to be found and tested only to revesl this horrible truth."
If you are talking about the Strychnine thing (not the glass in Australia), then you are wrong. There was no government setup. This is Holland, with a capital H for Harmreduction ;-)
aj

I seriously doubt there is any stychnine in acid either. I remeber that tale going around when I was into acid in the 70's. Same old shit. people would be sick at the very least if this was true.

Another rumour at that time was that it helped potentiate the acid. I doubt it but the stuff around then was seriously strong. 1 hit and you were in lala land for a good 14-18 hours. Of course some of that is the long comedown too. But you'd be high as a kite for a good 12 hours. We used to do what you guys do...eat benzos or earlier on barbs. They disappeared pretty quickly once everyone started into the 'ludes.

TheGamer said:
Just got off the phone with the editor for ministryofsound.com who didn't really give me any details on where he got this information, but I did remind him that they published a similar article last year.
He didn't know who I was, he didn't know what the DIMS is, and he didn't have a clue what an EZ-Test kit was
biggrin.gif

He says he'll do something about it.. so give them a day or two and well... who knows now.
TheGamer

I'm actually impressed with your investigative drive...good for you.

Im hoping this thread can be archived so that the bumping of it doesnt create some sort of silliness.

This thread is OLD.