• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Barry Bonds

fatallyflawed

Bluelight Crew
so i was listening to sports radio and i have to agree...........

among all that is happening with the man,people should still recoginze the "moment" that he is gonna have and just respect the moment,regardless of any hatred u have of the man. If u can u should hear the clip of the San Diego announcer and how rude he was bout it all....he talked more bout hank aaron than bonds tying him!! Which when u r a media voice u shouldnt be biast!!

Any thoughts.....i know u have em

The whole reason "the moment" is special is based on the assumption that an important record is about to be broken.

If Bonds cheated, and that cheating helped him attain that record, then, in my opinion, "the moment" and "the record" are both worthless.

I don't really care for the "moment". Partially because I think that the HR record is the most overrated record in baseball, and possibly in all of sports. The other part is that I don't like Bonds, and not just because he may have cheated (which I think he did), but 'cause the guy has always came off as an arrogant asshole who thinks he's owed something. However, I do think that Bonds is a great player, and I'm only talking about pre-steroid suspicion years when I say that. There is no denying that.

When I heard Bonds tied the record, I didn't care. When he passes Aaron, I still won't care. I personally don't find it important.

birdie made a couple good points.

my reason for not liking bonds is more than just because of his steroid issue. im more against his cocky, arrogant, me me me attitude. when he hit number 755 he was half way to first base before he even began his HR trot. he actually WALKED down the line staring at the ball and shot a glare the hurlers way as if to say "yeah... there it is, you like that?" how completely classless.

priiiiiiick.

ryanlaughlin said:

birdie made a couple good points.

my reason for not liking bonds is more than just because of his steroid issue. im more against his cocky, arrogant, me me me attitude. when he hit number 755 he was half way to first base before he even began his HR trot. he actually WALKED down the line staring at the ball and shot a glare the hurlers way as if to say "yeah... there it is, you like that?" how completely classless.

priiiiiiick.

See - this kind of thinking I don't quite understand - it reminds me, interestingly like all of the Kobe-hating that is rampant not only on this board, but among fans everywhere.

In my opinion, one should be able to seperate the man from the althlete - if Kobe does what apparantly only *I* think he'll do and ends up with five to seven rings, and the most points scored in the history of the NBA, ALONG WITH perrenially being the best defensive guard in the league - you should be able to seperate that from the raping, the forcing-Shaq-outing, and the other admittedly childish egomaniacal behavior.

"Hate the man; respect the player" is all I say to those who hate Kobe and who hate Bonds EVEN IF HE DIDN'T CHEAT.

In other words, if, hypothetically, Kobe gets lucky, lands a bona fide Kidd-O'Neal level superstar (Garnett might have been better, but what's done is done), and wins a few more rings, wins a few MVP's and SHATTERS the all-time scoring record (keep in mind - he started young, stays in great shape year-round, and could easily score low to mid-30's per game for the next seven seasons (along with the 9 straight 3's, the 4 straight 50+'s, the 81 point game, et al), and walks off into the sunset as at least ARGUABLY the best player in NBA history, then IN MY STRONG OPINION, it would be appropriate to separate your subjective emotionally-based FEELINGS about his alleged-raping, his selfishness and his ego (which are admittedly HUGE character defects within his in REAL LIFE) and allow yourself as a BASKETBALL FAN to watch in sheer REVERENCE at his basketball brilliance.

And, in my opinion, the same should apply to Bonds IF HYPOTHETICALLY, HE DIDN'T CHEAT.

Because if, HYPOTHETICALLY, he didn't cheat, then he's the best player since Babe Ruth, hands-down.

only you could go on so much about Kobe in a thread about Bonds tying the all-time homerun record, LL.

L O V E L I F E said:
See - this kind of thinking I don't quite understand - it reminds me, interestingly like all of the Kobe-hating that is rampant not only on this board, but among fans everywhere.

In my opinion, one should be able to seperate the man from the althlete - if Kobe does what apparantly only *I* think he'll do and ends up with five to seven rings, and the most points scored in the history of the NBA, ALONG WITH perrenially being the best defensive guard in the league - you should be able to seperate that from the raping, the forcing-Shaq-outing, and the other admittedly childish egomaniacal behavior.

"Hate the man; respect the player" is all I say to those who hate Kobe and who hate Bonds EVEN IF HE DIDN'T CHEAT.

In other words, if, hypothetically, Kobe gets lucky, lands a bona fide Kidd-O'Neal level superstar (Garnett might have been better, but what's done is done), and wins a few more rings, wins a few MVP's and SHATTERS the all-time scoring record (keep in mind - he started young, stays in great shape year-round, and could easily score low to mid-30's per game for the next seven seasons (along with the 9 straight 3's, the 4 straight 50+'s, the 81 point game, et al), and walks off into the sunset as at least ARGUABLY the best player in NBA history, then IN MY STRONG OPINION, it would be appropriate to separate your subjective emotionally-based FEELINGS about his alleged-raping, his selfishness and his ego (which are admittedly HUGE character defects within his in REAL LIFE) and allow yourself as a BASKETBALL FAN to watch in sheer REVERENCE at his basketball brilliance.

And, in my opinion, the same should apply to Bonds IF HYPOTHETICALLY, HE DIDN'T CHEAT.

Because if, HYPOTHETICALLY, he didn't cheat, then he's the best player since Babe Ruth, hands-down.
I don't think Ryan ever said that Bonds wasn't a great player, he just simply said that he didn't like him, which is why he didn't want Bonds to break the HR record.

I know I said that even though I don't like Bonds, he is still a great player. I didn't really want him to break Aaron's record, but it doesn't bother me. In a previous thread (the "Do you think Bonds did steroids" thread) I actually defended Bonds' greatness. Just because someone says they don't like a player and doesn't want them to break a certain record, does not mean they don't recognize that said player is great.

As for Bonds being the greatest since Ruth if he didn't cheat, maybe. I'd say that offensively, Ted Williams was better. You could possibly make a case that Bonds is the better all around player, but Ted Williams was better offensively.

L O V E L I F E said:

lovelife, i understand what youre saying, but keep in mind, i didnt say i hate barry bonds. i DID say i dont like him, but i also NEVER said i dont respect him as an athlete. ive mentioned before (in another thread about him) that yes, he most likely (almost undoubtedly) took steroids, but that doesnt make him a good ball player. hand/eye coordination, timing, and an all around understanding of the game make him a good player, steroids just help him with his strength (which DOES help with hitting home runs).

his 'cocky, arrogant, me me me attitude' is what i said i mainly dont like, and thats awfully difficult to separate from the athlete, when its not only the man, but the athlete who portrays that. its not just off the field, its ON the field.

THAT is why i dont like bonds. i never said i dont respect his athletic ability once.

see LL... birdie understood me. ;) hehe

now lets have all have a beer! :)

Sounds good to me! That's why I just went to the fridge to get one. =D

In my opinion, who cares? If A-Rod doesn't break the record, then someone else will end up doing it. Either way, I don't think Bonds will be the record holder for long. However, I do think that A-Rod will end up breaking Bonds' record, whatever it ends up being.

ill be glad to see him break the record. 1st hank aaron had to deal with death threats from all the racist baseball fans, now bonds has to deal with this hate because of steroids. i didnt know steroids improve your hand-eye cordination n' help you to read pitches.

bonds can hit bottom line, and he reached 755 and counting. i loved his face after he hit 755 as he was watching it soar out the park.... he was like yeaaaahhhh kiss my ass!!! lol ... do your thing barry, let the haters do their job.