• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric [Bad Trip Subthread] How Do You Define "Bad Trip"?

What about a trip where all you want is to be straight again? How does one deal with that?

If you want to be straight again .. then you're just running from the present moment. Once again. If you resolved all you stuff, here and now, you would want the trip to go on forever. i've been there a few times. I'd want it to end, and think that i made a totaly wrong choice taking the substance. But instead, I sit, and think to myself "it's just me, I'm gonna sit here, and figure it out". And it truly works. Because when you do, you realise that it was just your fears getting in the way.

You just have to be grateful for the experience. Enjoy it.

i think one of the beauties of psychedelic drugs is being able to confront parts of your mind that worry you, frighten you, etc, and work them out

learning about yourself and working your problems out, are things to do in a good trip when you feel your invincible happiness and you can think about your life detachedly

a bad trip you might be able to learn from, but i think ultimately it changes you for the worse. flashbacks and hppd are mainly related to bad trips, and many unwanted subtle changes can occur after a bad trip, whereas you might have an afterglow for quite a long time after a good trip

i consider a bad trip any trip that leaves you worse than when you started. this would be trips where you overflow with fear, agitation, anxiety, guilt, anger, and have a lost feeling, where you cannot find your way out, and the only thing you want is for it to end, but the clock ticks take minutes and each clock tick is so loud it spirals you into agitation

I think a bad trip is when you think your in permanent psychosis and/or think your dieing. Or lastly when you end up being rushed to the ER by your mom with your girlfriend at 3 am.
Refer to Report

ahhh a lot of the people here are making a big deal out of little things. trust me, a bad trip isn't smoking a couple cones and shaking. thats closer to a little panic attack and a bad reaction. im not saying that it wasn't scary and that you are a pussy, but some of the bad trips that people have had will make that look like a little panic attack.

when i had a bad trip, to put it simply, i guess my brain just had too much of a very potent chemical (mushrooms) to the point where the chemical controlled my brain more than "I" did (thats the best i can explain it). I was stuck in a permanent thought loop and i thought i was going to go insane and id be stuck like that. there was not even a consideration that i wouldn't, i just knew that this time was different and nothing could convince me otherwise. when the trip was over, i hadn't learned ANYTHING except "be careful with mushrooms" and "be grateful for....sanity?". but these lessons were not nearly as profound and meaningful and life changing as my first, and what i consider very perfect, trip.

i wish i could get back to that same feeling i had after that first trip, about how magical the world was.

^^^

That is spot on accurate.

I had done mushrooms hundreds of times before my first "bad trip." This feeling is hard to describe, it's like an afraid feeling, ultimate fear & panic. I was convinced that I would NEVER come down from the trip, that I would be mental the rest of my life. Now, when I'm sober, I know this can't happen, but under the influence I couldn't help but thinking that. I didn't want to trip, and tried to find any way to end it (alcohol worked best). I never shroomed again, and never want to.

last time i did acid i had a bad trip.

i have done shrooms and a few 2c-x drugs and have prob had around 15 trips on those....

this was only the third time with lsd tho. i had 2 sugar cubes with what i knew was some very potent acid on it. however i greatly greatly understimated what a high dose acid trip would be like... the first 2 hours were some of the greatest of my life. i hiked into the mountains with my friend and was actually crying because i have never ever seen anything that beautiful before.

everything was going 100% great.... then i took a hit of nitrous. the warm euphoria all of a sudden turned into PHYSICAL PAIN. the trees then turned to spikes and started stabbing me. from then on, the next 2 hours were hell on earth. i finally managed to hike back to my dorm room and quickly downed some percs... after those kicked in i was so numb and dumb the bad trip went away. i woke up the next morning very depressed and confused.

not my idea of a good time.... i learned that day not to underestimate the awesome power of lsd

i can't even imagine a bad trip on lsd. shrooms are bad enough, but it really only gets intense for about 2 hours and if you are having a bad trip you can wait it out. imagine waiting 7-10 whole fucking hours! congrats to anyone who went through a bad acid trip. (those numbers may not be exact, just estimates).

gugglebum said:
[

WHAT EXACTLY MAKES A BAD TRIP WORSE THAN A NIGHTMARE?

Nothing.

WHAT EXACTLY MAKES A NIGHTMARE WORSE THAN A BAD TRIP?

When you're dreaming, you don't know you're dreaming. When you're tripping, you do.

When you know you took drugs, but you have an ego death and you don't know if you ever come down or you have a psychosis it is not easy to till with until you come down.

I also had an experience where I had a completely ego death, I didn't remember anything my name, I forogt my whole life and I only Knew I took drugs and I thought i Get never normal again.

^i consider dissociatives to be psychedelic in their own way
you certainly can learn from them, use them for shamanistic purposes, etc

i consider it to be a bad trip when the person i'm tripping with turns into a leering green horned demon and starts laughing at me... i'm not really sure if this happened because i have read hunter s thompson, etc and so my brain decided to make it happen or if it would have happened anyway.

in any case i also was experiencing the irrational fear, paranoia, guilt that others have described... never lost it enough to forget that i was being irrational and i wouldn't die and i would come down but if there hadn't been other tripping kids around to reassure me who knows what would have happened... but i thought that the stereotypical "bad trip" visuals were pretty funny (both at the time and in retrospect).

bad trip is worse than any nightmare that i've ever had, but maybe i've just had some weak nightmares...

jorder1010 said:
i can't even imagine a bad trip on lsd. shrooms are bad enough, but it really only gets intense for about 2 hours and if you are having a bad trip you can wait it out. imagine waiting 7-10 whole fucking hours! congrats to anyone who went through a bad acid trip. (those numbers may not be exact, just estimates).

I find bad mushroom trips a LOT worse than a bad acid trip. Mushrooms are a LOT more emotional and you are very prone to break out crying and wishing you were dead, etc. But on LSD its more like woah!!!! CRAZINESS im out of my mind!! Or thinking your in permanent psychosis or seeing Satan or something, but I don't think it's as bad, id much rather be in a bad acid trip then a bad mushroom trip, and anyways the chances are it won't last the entire time, usually it wont happen on the comeup, and if anything will last for the plateu, and once your on the comedown id imagine youd be safe.

Everyone who is saying bad trips aregood learning experiences haven't had a true bad trip, imho. During my worst trip, paranoia overcame all rational thought. I was certain my best friends had sold me out to the cops, for some reason I didn't understand; every couple minutes I shot towards the door, only for them to stop me before I got there. But even after that, I kept going deeper into paranoia, where I was certain I was experiencing some cosmic punishment for drug use. Evil beings were controlling my world, and everything that happened around me I interpreted as such. No attempts at regaining sanity were possible, because I had no reference to my normal world. I forgot what sanity was, and when it finally ebbed its way back into my brain, I was even more confused than during the trip. It took me a while to get over that trip, much longer than after the drug was outta my system.

the self fullfilling part of bad trips/highs is definately true. i've cut back on smoking and have consequently gotten real high and paranoid once or twice. after those times i was worried about it happening again and it definately did...once with lsd, booo.....but i've gotten my head back on straight and worked out the kinks, so its all good now.

got ripped and saw sin city tonight....holy....cow....

have only done mushrooms once because when i did i was convinced that my arms had either fallen off or wouldn't ever work any more, eventually got so massively nervous i just hid in blankets & mercifully managed to fall asleep

huntmich said:
Everyone who is saying bad trips are good learning experiences haven't had a true bad trip, imho.

I completely agree with this statement. For me, I think a bad trip happens when I am past the point of pulling myself back in and can no longer comprehend that I've taken a drug. The trip is no longer about working through issues that may have turned the experience sour and becomes more about survival. Or atleast that's the way it feels at the time.

Never have tripped on a potent psychedelic...yet, but i agree with the statement that its not what happens its how u react to it, if u start having a bad trip, thinking its a bad trip will make it worse, but if u have a positive outlook it shouldnt be to hard.

if u take to much of a drug then thats what i would call a bad trip.