• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Bad Trip Subthread] Have You Ever Had a Bad Trip?

Have you ever had a bad trip?

• Yes I have.

Votes: 346 49.4%
  • No I have never.

Votes: 150 21.4%
  • No but I have had [b]difficult[/b] trips.

Votes: 195 27.9%
  • I never have and am confident I never will.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Other / Not sure (post alternative answer!)

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters
Well i have had what you could call a (bad trip). What i do remember of it is somewhat veg, all i know is that it was scary as hell and i thought i was going to be loonie tunes for ever.... but I def was not violent in any way. I think there had to be some other factors at play.

DoMitron said:
so i did lsd for the first time and it was fun, up until my friend lost his mind. form the begining it starts as .... there were nine people including me that were tripping. five of us took two hits of pretty good acid and some took only one. we travelled along the catalina mountian side and mak eour way back to the house in about 6 hours. we split up and got to the desatination at different points in time. when we all manage to gather at the house my friend starts to get fixated on a thought. it was an obsesion with water. he starts forcing water on to people some take it and drink but that is not enough for him. he starts get more and more agressive with his selling of the water to people. eventually it gets to the point that no body wants to drink the water and they start to tell him that they have enough. after that he turns completely violent and trys to break two of the other peoples neck. they both leave. i walk outside and find 7 of the 9 hiding in the a tent that we set up in the yard. they are conversing about how to take care of the person who just attacked to people. some want to beat him with a flashlight. others tell them that its a bad idea. so we come to the conclusion of calling the police. we stick that and we split up. when we all get out of the tent my friend is outside and on his back spasming out and rambling at the same time. lets just say that the situation with got so intense that i ran into my house and he chased me to try to do something and i jumped out of a 12 foot high window barefoot. after that we walked down to find one of the cops that i knew and told him to go to my house. we told him that we were on lsd and he said that he take care of it. he sent another cop up to the house and when he got there he found the friend who was losing it and myh friend decided to attack the cop. the cop restrained ,my friend and took to the hospital. after that they releaseed my friend from the hospital with an assualt on an officer and sain that he was drunk. my friend doesnt remember any the things that he did. and he doesnt know that he lost control of himself at any point in time. i want to know what any body that reads thinks about that mental state of being of myh friend and how lsd had any influence on his mental health or if he has underlying deep mental issues.

I've had something similar happen to my friend one time on LSD, and something kinda like it happened to me one time as well. Took too much in the worst setting possible, definitely sends you into the flight or fight....I blacked out during my thing though. was fighting cops and shit .Was fine as soon as they gave me the tranquilizer.

My friend gradually became more and more out of it until he couldnt communicate with the outside world, entered psychosis like I did. Didnt know what to do with him, just sat there talking to myself, every 30 seconds or so would try and escape, he got kinda violent but not really if we didnt get too close to him. He was fine as soon as we brought him to the hospital and they gave him a tranq, fought the cops like hell. In his case he was coming down from like a gram of coke during one day when he took the acid, and he took some X with it which no doubt added to the problem.

well lsd does put you into a constant "fight or flight" state

LSD doesn't do that to me; if an experience is getting difficult I feel uncomfortable and want to go somewhere else, but for the most part my trips are not 'fight or flight'.

i've had a handful of times when i would take acid then immediately the girl i was into goes off with my friend or my brother.. that kind of thing can make a trip painful..
once my friend took some acid and freaked out - he ended up under my bed with a flashlight and a big knife, thrashing around and screaming.. since then i've seen him at the local mental health clinic..

ya.. acid can be a bad decision if everything's not going your way..

i've had two bad trips where i freaked out and pretty much irritated the people around me.

one time was on two hits of acid, the other time on an eighth of shrooms. i really don't know what happened, i've tripped plenty of times on the same amount and more sometimes and been fine...

the time on acid i thought i had died, or that someone had slipped me some other type of drug and i was going to be raped...then i started to forget who i was, i thought i had just woken up in a mental hospital and was seeing the reality of my life for the first time. that was seriously scary. i just kept repeating "who am i?" "am i dead?" "i died, why won't you tell me what happened?"

the other time on shrooms it was like everyone turned into demons and when they tried to touch me my skin felt like it was on fire. then i started thinking i had eaten a bad batch of shrooms and that i was going to die. it got to the point where i was asking the people around me for a pad of paper so i could write my family a letter telling them what had happened and how sorry i was. i don't think my friends were pleased.

like i said, i can't explain why those two times happened to be so scary for me, or why i felt that way when all other times i've had a blast or had serious spiritual experiences. ( is it normal to have those thoughts?? like about dying and forgetting who you are??) but the main reason why i would classify those as bad trips was bc i couldn't stop myself from saying whatever came into my head...i had no filter, and it was scary not being able to control your thoughts like that, especially when your thoughts are about dying or being killed

if i had to compare those particular times to something, i'd have to say it was like a salvia trip that lasted for hours...(salvia is scary shit)
i guess all i can say is i am truly awed by the power of psychedelics

Last edited:
Yeah the second time I dropped acid I dropped 3 tabs within 1 hour because I didn't think it was working they were the Mr. Incredibles from a few years back.

Worst time ever I ended up on my own for most of the trip, I was walking home at about 1am and walked through a spiders web which was even worse, then when I jumped on the train I thought it was never going to end.

That's pretty much the only time and hopefully the last time.

Yeah i had one one time on acid, basically forced myself to go to sleep because i thought it was never gonna end, felt to me exactly the same as a prolonged panic attack with extra terror, mayeb it was just one.

Come to think of it, whats the difference between the 2?

Yeah I've had one bad trip before, New Years Eve 2007-2008. We were at this SHIT doof, it was a really shit party. Hardly any of the regular doofers were there so there were no familiar faces and there were all these weird hick hillbillies there with teeth missing and inbred faces etc. Just really weird. And the music was pretty crap too.

Anyway, had the strongest trip of my life and it just turned scary because when we were in the car I thought someone got stabbed next to us and died. I could HEAR them dying and everyone huddling around them whispering about what they were going to do and if they were going to call the police. Part of me KNEW it was just the acid but it was SO REAL. Needless to say absolutely nothing of the sort actually happened but after that I just couldn't shake the experience out of my head. I totally didn't freak out at all, that is not my style. I've never "freaked out" on anything and hopefully never will. But I was just very quiet all night and pretty much stayed in or near the car...

What a shit night that was.

BUT, afterwards, in the morning, I felt strangely empowered by the fact that I had gotten through it. I learnt a lot about myself that night. I learnt that I can be very VERY afraid...

I've had difficult trips, but never something like in those acid scare freak-out movies from the 60's. Dunno, I usually dose pretty conservatively and also can think about really horrible messed up stuff without getting too worried about my sanity.

Not really concerned about the stuff that often seems to make people go nuts on psychedelics. The only drug that ever really got to me in a bad way was salvia, which I most likely will not do again <<shudder>> it's too spooooky.

I wouldnt say I've had a bad trip, but would say that its gotten a little too intense to handle.

I just let it do its thing, and try to hold on to whatever is left of "me" to hold on too

I have never had a bad trip on LSD, unlike mushrooms, for some reason I can always collect myself and get a hold of myself

Swerz said:
I wouldnt say I've had a bad trip, but would say that its gotten a little too intense to handle.

I just let it do its thing, and try to hold on to whatever is left of "me" to hold on too
Yep that would pretty much sum up how I handle it too.
Reminds me of a Simpsons quote:
(Flanders, as the unquestionable Lord of the Universe) "Just relaaax, let the hooks do their work"
=D

Shlumpeet said:
No, but I've had a fucking horrifying terrible trip.
Ummm would you not class that as a "bad trip"??

Tell us about it!

n3ophy7e said:
Ummm would you not class that as a "bad trip"??

Tell us about it!

No thanks...lets just say I thought I was dying unless I said a certain word that I could absolutely not think of. Absolute terror.

yeah one time after a dark star/tea leaf show i felt just tired and dead and thought my trip had ended so i go home and lay in bed by myself in my dark room...start tripping balls and freak out and look in the mirror and i'm soaking wet in sweat, my friend had to stay on the phone with me until he came to get me and we got picked up and chilled out at my other friends apartment until 5am, scariest thing of my life. i thought i was going to be crazy forever.

I havent had a bad trip where I was violent,
But there was a trip where I thought I was experiencing dying.
After two hours of dying I finally realized I wasnt and things got better

I don't like the whole good/bad trip classification. I think most trips will have either an overwhelming positive or negative aspect to them (or half and half), but either way there's something to get out of it.

The most unsettling trip I had was with LSA. I had several full blown panic attacks, and the classic "I'm never going to come down" fluttered into my head. However, I found myself breaking down in tears at the sheer beauty of my hypnagogic imagery, so all was not bad.

On lsd I had these thoughts that kept going faster and faster and I was thinking all these paranoid thoughts that I was losing my mind and would never come back. I had to keep fighting to remind myself I had taken LSD and it would end in a few hours.
Taking two hits of strong acid for a first time user is a bad idea. I thought having done shrooms many times would have prepared me. Though when I look back on it now it was a good time.