Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Bad southern accents; "I do declare"

I read somewhere that people weren't happy with Tara's(from True Blood) accent. Apparently, they thought it was a little too over the top.

her accent pretty much put me off watching that show at all :|

fuking hurt my ears

This :D

Let's just say "Nicholas Cage in general"

i think we should specify Nic Cage with a Southern accent. ;)

I dunno, I kinda liked him in Adaptation.

love, love, love that film.

lord of war, raising arizona, face off for its humor. Thats all hes got imo

as discussed in threads before this, Nic Cage is hit or miss. some of the movies he's been in are some of my all-time favorites (Adaptation, Lord of War, The Weather Man, Kick Ass and Matchstick Men) but when he does bad, he does SHAMEFULLY bad.

Foghorn_Leghorn.png

imo

^
Jesus, does that bring back memories...

I think another problem with Southern accents is that they're often lumped together instead of treated as discrete "tones", if you will. A Texas accent is different from a Tennessee accent, and the latter is different from Georgia accent, etc., but the tendency of Hollywood is to throw them together into some broad cracker-barrel accent. If a major motion picture gave, say, Mainers a Long Island accent, you'd never hear the end of it...

Last edited:
^
Jesus, does that bring back memories...

I think another problem with Southern accents is that they're often lumped together instead of treated as discrete "tones", if you will. A Texas accent is different from a Tennessee accent, and the latter is different from Georgia accent, etc., but the tendency of Hollywood is to throw them together into some broad cracker-barrel accent. If a major motion picture gave, say, Mainers a Long Island accent, you'd never hear the end of it...

This^

Birmingham, Alabama native here.....

I would have to say Con Air- Nicolas Cage is the worst fake southern accent in a film bar none.

you could also add Nic Cage in David Lynch's seminal Wild At Heart in this debate %)

his accent in this film is even more bizarre because during the first half of the film he has like a rock-n-roll/Elvis type of take on the Southern accent. strangely enough, this horrible butchering block of an accent dissipates in the latter half of the movie

I still like that movie, though

Last edited:
I can't stand Reese Witherspoon's accent in "Sweet Home Alabama". I'm going to third the person who said v
Belisarius said:

I mean, it's even within a single state that you can have different accents, or at least levels. I have what I assume to be called a "neutral Southern accent"...in the way I pronounce words as the American neutral, just with a subtle Southern twinge that comes out every now and then...

It's like Hollywood producers assume that accents cannot be subtle, and can't have nuances for different areas in the general region... Instead, they all sound loud, overbearing, and forced to me when they appear in most movies. ><;;

I saw The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou last night on IFC and Owen Wilson's southern accent was incredibly bad. Further, it is not even consistent. It is hard to tell if it is suppose to be southern or British or Australian at times. Pitiful.

On the one hand, some say the Southern accent is the closest American accent to a British accent, so I suppose I can see why it might be hard to discern between them...but a certain consistency is indeed required. I haven't seen that movie yet, and now I'm almost afraid to do so! ><

On the one hand, some say the Southern accent is the closest American accent to a British accent, so I suppose I can see why it might be hard to discern between them...but a certain consistency is indeed required. I haven't seen that movie yet, and now I'm almost afraid to do so! ><

really? our friend ChickenScratch is from Tennessee and he sounds nothing like my friends from England, and he has what I think of as the 'definitive' southern accent.

Yeah, that is true. If they're doing it right, it should be easily discernible. But the "substitution" of vowels sounds and things with Southern accents and British accents are the most similar, apparently. I don't have anything to cite for this; just hearsay from courses I've taken and things. But, yeah, they should definitely have definitive differences if the person is speaking the accents correctly, which Owen Wilson apparently fails at in the movie psychopath mentioned... ><