• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Bad southern accents; "I do declare"

Droppersneck

Ex-Bluelighter
I would have to say Con Air- Nicolas Cage is the worst fake southern accent in a film bar none.

I would have to say Con Air- Nicolas Cage is the worst fake southern accent in a film bar none.

"I sayed, put tha bunnay back in tha box."

Speaking of Nic Cage movies, the cult leader guy in Drive Angry (AWFUL MOVIE) had a horrible southern accent. In fact, 90% of the actors I see try to pull it off fail miserably. It always seems like they've watched Gone With The Wind 40 times in a row to prepare for their roles. Case in point: The guy who plays Bill in True Blood.

I know most of the cast of that show is guilty of this, but he brings it to another level. How does anyone working with him keep from cracking up hysterically every time he speaks? The one who pulls it off the best on True Blood is the guy who plays the brother. It's pretty bad when the person who does the best southern accent on the show isn't even from the US.

"I sayed, put tha bunnay back in tha box."

Speaking of Nic Cage movies, the cult leader guy in Drive Angry (AWFUL MOVIE) had a horrible southern accent. In fact, 90% of the actors I see try to pull it off fail miserably. It always seems like they've watched Gone With The Wind 40 times in a row to prepare for their roles. Case in point: The guy who plays Bill in True Blood.

I know most of the cast of that show is guilty of this, but he brings it to another level. How does anyone working with him keep from cracking up hysterically every time he speaks? The one who pulls it off the best on True Blood is the guy who plays the brother. It's pretty bad when the person who does the best southern accent on the show isn't even from the US.

LMAO never seen that show but it sounds bad. You are spot on with the gone with the wind reference. I feel like people think southerns talk like they are all slave owning colonel sanders'es from the 18 hundreds. :)

A great example of an amazing actor doing a terrible southern accent is Deniro in Cape Fear. Maybe not as bad as Nick Cage in Con Air, but still pretty shabby.

Russell in True Blood; not only do I think that even a Sartoris wouldn't have an accent that thick, but his accent makes absolutely no sense with him being 3000 years old, and presumably Old World, at that.

HNIF -- Bill, nor Sookie, nor Eric, nor Jason, nor basically anyone else is from America. The only ones that are from the south are Terry Bellefleur (Humble, Texas) and Lafayette Reynolds ( Bessemer, Alabama, where our own friend D's is from). Everyone else is Australian or British or whatever :(

another vote for Nicholas Cage, but this time for Bad Lit. Port of Call New Orleans. New Orleans accents are damn near impossible, and everyone, everyone, everyone who has ever tried just falls flat on their ass.

HNIF -- Bill, nor Sookie, nor Eric, nor Jason, nor basically anyone else is from America. The only ones that are from the south are Terry Bellefleur (Humble, Texas) and Lafayette Reynolds ( Bessemer, Alabama, where our own friend D's is from). Everyone else is Australian or British or whatever :(

another vote for Nicholas Cage, but this time for Bad Lit. Port of Call New Orleans. New Orleans accents are damn near impossible, and everyone, everyone, everyone who has ever tried just falls flat on their ass.

Oh I know. That's why I expect better of them. Most foreign actors can pull off a southern accent way better than the yanks. Examples: Brian Cox (Scotland) He's a very good actor, too. One of my favorites. Tom Wilkinson (England)

Those are just a couple, but there are a lot more. I don't understand why most US actors have such a difficult time with a southern accent. It's like they think we haven't changed since 1880. We have running water. Indoor toilets. We don't say shit like, "I do declare!" and we don't get the vapors. I guess. I don't even know what a vapor is, but I'm pretty certain I've never had any. Also, and this is key WE HAVE CENTRAL HEAT AND AIR!!! I wish they would stop portraying the south as a bunch of people walking around with handkerchiefs, wiping pools of sweat off of their heads.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go milk them cows and go intimidate anyone who strays into my town that ain't from around here. 8)=D8)

annnnnd another - Nic Cage in "The Ghost Rider"

Hey they Faweksy Lady . Nice to see you in here. I agree and think that Nic Cage should be forbidden to do any accent other than his own. Did anyone see Season Of The Witch? Holy good goddamn. It's set in the 14th century, yet Nic sounds like he's ready to go surfing at times. "I think we should try and save the woman. After that, I'm gonna go catch a mondo wave off the coast of Scotland! Right on" Not verbatim, but you get the point. There's even one guy who sounds like he's straight out of Brooklyn.

Misplaced and butchered accents ruin movies. They take whatever genre the movie is and unintentionally turn it into a comedy. A horrible train wreck of a comedy. It's like if you ordered a double cheese burger, fries and shake. You get home and open the bag, only to find a bologna sandwich, carrot juice and a dildo with Nicolas Cage's face on the shaft. You may laugh for a minute, but then reality sets in and you're like, "What the fuck is this? This isn't what I payed for!"

regarding "vapors" & "i do declare", i guess it's just an age thing. i've got relatives who say things along those lines, but they are 80+. i still say "conniption fits", and i hear "spells" sometimes ("she's having one of her spells"), "female troubles", but i haven't seen a movie that takes place in the south in a good long time much less anyone that uses words i commonly hear when i'm down south.

regarding "vapors" & "i do declare", i guess it's just an age thing. i've got relatives who say things along those lines, but they are 80+. i still say "conniption fits", and i hear "spells" sometimes ("she's having one of her spells"), "female troubles", but i haven't seen a movie that takes place in the south in a good long time much less anyone that uses words i commonly hear when i'm down south.

Ha I thought I was the only one who still said "conniption fits."

Nicolas Cage's accent in "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" was really terrible aswell.

Not even in the show treme is a nola accent done well imo

I read somewhere that people weren't happy with Tara's(from True Blood) accent. Apparently, they thought it was a little too over the top.