Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Bad southern accents; "I do declare"

On the one hand, some say the Southern accent is the closest American accent to a British accent...
what's a british accent?

for a small country, the uk has a huge spectrum of different accents which are audibly very diverse: northern scotland; western scotland; eastern scotland; newcastle; lancashire; yorkshire; liverpool; manchester; birmingham; east anglia; london; home counties; west country; to name a few.

i don't think a southern u.s. accent sounds like any of them...

alasdair

I mean, it's even within a single state that you can have different accents, or at least levels.
(...)
It's like Hollywood producers assume that accents cannot be subtle, and can't have nuances for different areas in the general region... Instead, they all sound loud, overbearing, and forced to me when they appear in most movies. ><;;
totally agree. there are very
specific differences between each state and areas w/in states.
tv and movie folks rarely, if ever, mimic southern accents accurately. so many people have relocated to sunbelt states over the past 30+ years and some places, like southeastern florida, have almost completely lost specific regional language cues that identify the area.
i watched part of an episode of criminal minds today which took place in southeastern florida. all the "locals" sounded like they were from north georgia and the setting also looked a whole lot more like north georgia than miami/dade county.
oh well we all can't be perfect eh? ;)
-izzy

Yeah, that is true. If they're doing it right, it should be easily discernible. But the "substitution" of vowels sounds and things with Southern accents and British accents are the most similar, apparently. I don't have anything to cite for this; just hearsay from courses I've taken and things. But, yeah, they should definitely have definitive differences if the person is speaking the accents correctly, which Owen Wilson apparently fails at in the movie psychopath mentioned... ><

i poked around and i see more of what you are saying. some of the vowels, 'r;s', and what not seem similar in virginia/appalachia accents and London/South London accents (not that i discovered this scientifically, i asked South London friend for a youtube of her saying things, and compared it to my neighbor).

I can't stand Reese Witherspoon's accent in "Sweet Home Alabama".

pourquoi? you do know she was raised in Nashville? i didn't find it all that far reaching or in the least faked. she was raised in the South and her accent sounded quite natural in that film as well as in Walk the Line. being raised in the South myself (E. Texas) she sounded just like every southern belle i know.

It was that overexaggerated, too sweet, fake Southern accent that Southern people use. (Most popularly, the sorority girls around my campus.) So the resemblance of her accent, whether it was "natural" or not, it came off sounding unnatural, forced, and overall annoying to me. Not as bad as others, and it was better in "Walk the Line", but I still couldn't stand it.

Granted, my annoyance was probably also colored by the fact that I was being forced to watch a chick flick. (I hate chick flicks.)

It was that overexaggerated, too sweet, fake Southern accent that Southern people use. (Most popularly, the sorority girls around my campus.) So the resemblance of her accent, whether it was "natural" or not, it came off sounding unnatural, forced, and overall annoying to me. Not as bad as others, and it was better in "Walk the Line", but I still couldn't stand it.

fake southern accent southerners use? that real sugary, sweet drawl is how my whole family talks! :) i assure you, it's not faked.

Granted, my annoyance was probably also colored by the fact that I was being forced to watch a chick flick. (I hate chick flicks.)

trust me, i'm not defending her accent because i felt it was a quality film. ;)

what sinister Muffin is talking about is the "received pronunciation" that vogue in London, as well as the finest institutions of education on the Eastern seaboard of the states in the victorian age. You'll notice that both FDR and fancy southern ladies both drop their Rs at the end of words like sophisticated britons. That's not the kind of organic dialect that I've heard about related to the south, though... I had read/studied that American Pronunciation, namely heartland, appalachian, and southern dialects are closer to the dialect that shakespeare would have used.

This is the opposite of the thread topic but I think the cast of Winter's Bone did an excellent job with their accents (though obviously not a straight southern accent.

fake southern accent southerners use? that real sugary, sweet drawl is how my whole family talks! :) i assure you, it's not faked.

trust me, i'm not defending her accent because i felt it was a quality film. ;)

My family all use a heavy, sweet drawl. I'm thinking more of friends I had growing up who went from having genuine accents to these overemphasized, exaggerated, ridiculous "accents" that didn't make any sense to me. And there are so many females around that do it, and I can tell they've trained themselves to do so - completely different from the natural, sweet, heavy drawl that others have. I can't quite explain it, but I can definitely tell the difference.

Also, @squareroot, a lot of Southerners try to throw off their accents in "professional" settings because there are many people who view Southerners as uneducated, and having a Southern accent would clue another person in to that lack of education. Of course, that's entirely untrue and there are plenty of very intelligent people with super-Southern accents, but it's that social stigma. So, yeah, there are a lot of people who are ashamed of their accents. I won't pretend that I'm not one of those people. I always get embarrassed when a heavy drawl shows itself on my tongue. I don't mind having a subtle/mild one, but am afraid of sounding unintelligent if I ever develop a "heavier" kind.

^ lol to one of the comments: "Nicolas Rage"

This is the opposite of the thread topic but I think the cast of Winter's Bone did an excellent job with their accents (though obviously not a straight southern accent.

just watched this last night and i concur. though, Ms. Lawrence is a Kentucky-native hailing from Louisville (pronounced - Loo-a-vul) so i'd expect her to be be fluent in hick-speak. ;)