• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc baclofen vs zanaflex--anxiolytic/hypnotic

laCster

Bluelighter
ok so i know there are a TON of more recreational drugs out there, but im not looking to pop ten and try to get high on these....

right now, i am taking 2mg suboxone, 1800mg gabapentin, 150mg wellbutrin, and 50mg hydrxyzine, and i am thinking of switching out the hydroxyzine or gabapentin for baclofen or zanaflex because i have been taking them both for a while and i hardly feel the effects from them, and by effects i mean anxiolytic and hypnotic properties. i would rather keep the gabapentin for its anti-convulsant properties because i have had a seizure in the past, and my family has a histoy of epilepsy. not only that, but i am on 3 medications that lower the seizure threshold significantly: subs, bupropion, and hyxdroxyzine. so, i am at a standing point to look for another medication with very limited habit-forming incidence, and right now i am either leaning towards baclofen or zanaflex.

i made this thread today to ask for your opinion BL, which is the more tolerable and effective with the least side-effects at combating anxiety, insomnia, and seizures. any other experiences with these drugs would be gladly appreciated aswell. added "feel good" feelings from taking either baclofen or zanaflex is a big plus, but i am going to stick to taking it by how the doctor prescribes it because i'm done with that drug-abuse bullshit. finally in the spirit of HR, which is the safer to take?

thanks....
-lac

it's more relaxing and loosens up your muscles more and baclofen made me dizzy as shit

thank you for helping by responding, but fuck this, im going with orphenadrine or flexeril instead.

probably the orphenadrine because i am already on hydroxyzine so it not that far of a jump to it.

Flexeril is a pretty "dirty" drug - its a relative of the tricyclics. It is great as a muscle relaxant though (personal experience). Cyclobenzaprine has the longest track record as a muscle relaxant (IIRC) - probably followed by baclofen. All three of those drugs are pretty sedating.

From personal experience (I've never tried Zanaflex), I'd say that baclofen and Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) are about equal for muscle relaxation. Orphenadrine is decent too but it didn't work as well for me...of course, that's not saying it won't work for you. Orphenadrine and cyclobenzaprine both have some pretty powerful anticholergic side effects. Baclofen is more "clean" feeling at least for me.

hmmm, thanks NT!! i appreciate the insight...what to do, what to do?

should i ask for baclofen, zanaflex, flexeril, or orphenadrine???

What's is this prescribed for exactly? Tizanidine is VERY sedating, I'd be careful with it if your on buprenorphine too, it would probably make you nod if you aren't careful.

Sleep, anxiety, depression, anticonvulsant .....maybe a nodd is what I'm looking for ;)

Zanaflex can cause dry mouth. So stay hydrated and care for your teeth. I like zanaflex it works.

I forget. It's on the bottle. I think its 4mg? I havent taken it lately. I use it as a replacement drug for soma. Doing so I have no wd from soma when I run out.

Yeah that's what I'm prescribed, 8-12mg a day. But I would be nodding out sunrise to sundown if I took that much, I really don't like taking this medication.

I hate the dry mouth. I really didn't start taking muscle relaxers till about 3 moths ago. I would get them and take 1 every now and then. They really help with pain so now it's daily and it works.

i'm not so much leading towards which has the strongest muscle relxant effects, but more towards which provides limited amount of muscle relaxant properties while being the most effective at treating depression/anxiety and insomnia.

i'm leading towards flexeril right now because it is so related towards many TCA's, but then why won't the doc just ask me to try amitriptyline or nortriptyline?

i love orphenadrine because of it's NMDA-blocker effects, and god knows i love my MXE, Ket, and a little DXM, but they just aren't the option for me...

zanaflex IMO is very relaxing and puts me in a better mood and is the most muscle relaxing out of all the muscle relaxers i've tried soma flexeril robaxin and others