• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc (Baclofen) tolerance

Trex_Echoes

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

I've recently picked up some Baclofen (not prescribed), because I was told as a muscle relaxant it would, not surprisingly, chill me out.

I've also for around 2 years used various benzodiazepines at least once a week, and rarely two or three times a week. It started out as a recreational thing, because I noticed an improved mood, as well as helping speed up time during working hours. Over time, I began using them (again, unprescribed) to deal with some anxiety I've developed.

So I wasn't expecting much out of the baclofens, and definitely nothing in the way of a mental chill, but I find that baclofen actually makes me feel really great mentally. I feel like I'm normal on them.

My question is, is it easy to develop a tolerance to baclofen, and if so, does the tolerance take forever to go down?

I understand that baclofen has some action on GABAB receptors, as opposed to benzos which if I'm not mistaken work on GABAA receptors. So I'd assume they might have some similarities. I mention benzos because I've definitely noticed a tolerance build up, even though I thought once a week would be enough to prevent that.

Some additional information is, I've picked up my baclofen use since about a month ago. I use around 100mg a day. Dosed at 40mg, then another 40mg a few hours later then the final 20mg just as a booster a few hours after that. Nothing scientific, just my own experimentation on how to achieve the results I want. I've been using this dose at least one to two times a week since then. Only once in combination with 2mg clonazepam.

Thanks guys.

You're right that Baclofen hits different receptors than benzos.

The GABA-B receptors are spread throughout your body, and barely show up in your brain, and that's where the muscle relaxing effects come from.

But Baclofen also activates the same the same calcium channels that gabapentin does, and it's probably that round-about action that causes the happy mood. One thing everyone can tell you about gabapentin, is that tolerance is fast. So I'd expect the same thing for you and Baclofen, unfortunately.

I've never tried Baclofen, but I know gabapentin, and that tolerance can be managed pretty easily, so it could still work out with some experimentation.

Tolerance and dependence on something like baclofen is just as much an issue as benzos, but it takes longer to develop IME.

At once to twice a week you shouldn’t have much to worry about for quite some time other than tolerance eventually rising.

The synergy between baclofen and other gabaergics like benzos or booze can be intense though. What is your benzo use like these days?

Especially if you combine the baclofen with clonazepam, please avoid drinking or adding other gabaergics to the mix if you’re concerned about issues down the road. Drinking + baclofen alone almost resulted in a shitty experience for me once upon a time. I’ll never, ever mix those two drugs again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baclofen is essentially phenibut.. I would imagine there could be cross tolerance from benzos depending on which benzo you use. Also when I tried to abuse it it made me very jerky. I know a girl who had a seizure from it... So keep the doses as low as you can and don't mix it with alcohol...

I got super drunk on it and walked into my neighbors apartment and laid on his bed thinking it was my house... I believe I was sleep walking not unlike an ambien sleep walk.

It goes well with gabapentin I am rxed both at the same time. Now that I got klonopin back I stopped the baclofen.

Baclofen is about ten times the potency of phenibut. They both target the same systems, but not the exact same receptors as benzos, so there isn't cross-tolerance.

BUT, they will be synergistic with other gabaergics, and downers in general--so don't mix them with booze or benzos or pregabalin/Lyrica, gabapentin, barbiturates, etc.

They both target the same receptor as gabapentin and pregabalin, in addition to the GABA-B receptor, so there will be some cross-tolerance with gabapentin and pregabalin.

Basically, all of these drugs can make you feel pleasantly loopy, and they're all additive; adding booze or benzos also sends you straight to sudden black-out territory.

You're right that Baclofen hits different receptors than benzos.

The GABA-B receptors are spread throughout your body, and barely show up in your brain, and that's where the muscle relaxing effects come from.

But Baclofen also activates the same the same calcium channels that gabapentin does, and it's probably that round-about action that causes the happy mood. One thing everyone can tell you about gabapentin, is that tolerance is fast. So I'd expect the same thing for you and Baclofen, unfortunately.

I've never tried Baclofen, but I know gabapentin, and that tolerance can be managed pretty easily, so it could still work out with some experimentation.

I used to use Pregabalin and then Gabapentin once a week, until I couldn't get anymore. Coincidentally started using Baclofen once those sources ran out. Had no idea they worked the same.

Will definitely try to cut out my use of Baclofen, as I wouldn't want to build a tolerance to this miracle drug.

Tolerance and dependence on something like baclofen is just as much an issue as benzos, but it takes longer to develop IME.

At once to twice a week you shouldn’t have much to worry about for quite some time other than tolerance eventually rising.

The synergy between baclofen and other gabaergics like benzos or booze can be intense though. What is your benzo use like these days?

Especially if you combine the baclofen with clonazepam, please avoid drinking or adding other gabaergics to the mix if you’re concerned about issues down the road. Drinking + baclofen alone almost resulted in a shitty experience for me once upon a time. I’ll never, ever mix those two drugs again.

I try not to use benzos as much anymore, due to the fear of building a tolerance. They're too useful to me. At most I use them once a week, but I mostly stopped using.

I've mixed Baclofen with alcohol before, but haven't really noticed any changes in effect. I feel like I have some strong resistance to gabaergic drugs. I used to use up to 1,150mg of Pregabalin, once a week.

I try not to use benzos as much anymore, due to the fear of building a tolerance. They're too useful to me. At most I use them once a week, but I mostly stopped using.

I've mixed Baclofen with alcohol before, but haven't really noticed any changes in effect. I feel like I have some strong resistance to gabaergic drugs. I used to use up to 1,150mg of Pregabalin, once a week.

Indeed it sounds like you do. Nothing you can really do for that but give it time or take a lot of dissos (but please be aware that taking dissociative has lots of risks in its own right).

Once upon a time I used benzos and gabaergics once every week or two at pretty heroic doses for a few years (after having developed a sort of tolerance). I'd take 10's of grams of GBP, g's of pregabalin, or hundreds of mg of diazepam. Not at all a good idea, but just wanted to point out that even though I never developed a dependency to this stuff I did develop a tolerance that just wouldn't go away until I abstained for about 12-24 months.

NMDAr antagonists can help too, but breaks/abstinence is really the linchpin when it comes to tolerance.

Indeed it sounds like you do. Nothing you can really do for that but give it time or take a lot of dissos (but please be aware that taking dissociative has lots of risks in its own right).

Once upon a time I used benzos and gabaergics once every week or two at pretty heroic doses for a few years (after having developed a sort of tolerance). I'd take 10's of grams of GBP, g's of pregabalin, or hundreds of mg of diazepam. Not at all a good idea, but just wanted to point out that even though I never developed a dependency to this stuff I did develop a tolerance that just wouldn't go away until I abstained for about 12-24 months.

NMDAr antagonists can help too, but breaks/abstinence is really the linchpin when it comes to tolerance.

Damn, I've heard about the long abstinence. Read some people still notice a tolerance even up to 10 years later, but not sure what to think of anecdotal evidence. As with any opiates as well, I have a feeling that although tolerance will decrease over time, tolerance will build up really quick once the habit is picked up again.

As for the dissociatives, I do remember reading that Dextromethorphan helped with reducing tolerance. But does this mean that it reduces the tolerance only while you're on DXM, or reduces it long term too?