• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Baclofen cured my addictions! But I'm left anhedonic?

Name User

Greenlighter
I just got out of a 21 day rehab a few days ago where I was prescribed baclofen primarily for anxiety but also was told it has benefits for reducing alcohol and stimulant cravings. I was started on 5mg t.id. Up to 40mg t.i.d when I reached 40mg doses my cravings for anything completely dissapeared. I'm actually astonished and in disbelief. I'm now completely indifferent to drugs it's like I never used them before. I don't get any excitement or " go get it" feelings for anything. I feel very weird. It took me a few days to realize why I felt so weird but I've figured it out I'm completely anhedonic now and I get no pleasure from eating a bag of chips or donuts. I get no pleasure from sneezing or orgasm. No pleasure from music or coffee or cigarettes. I even figured out after I fart I'm left disappointed because there's no pleasure or sense of relief from it. I feel like I had a lobotomy. Like part of my brain is missing. It's not really a bad thing. I feel superhuman actually. But I need answers. Is this going to be permanent? I don't know what to make of it. There's no answers online. I hope this lasts actually. My social anxiety is also virtually gone and I feel like a monk or somthing. If this lasts I'm completely cured of all addictions. I can't even will myself to feel pleasure excitement or adrenaline about my favorite drugs and you couldn't pay me to use them right now. Does anyone know what's going on with this drug? Sorry for the rambling but I just wanted to get this out there. I'm in shock right now from this feeling or lack therof. Very puzzled.....

I have never really heard of this happening but it sounds like it could certainly be a powerful tool in ending and addiction, I worry what damage it might cost social relationships but that is really not of consequence to you if it is something that brings you no pleasure. A very curious condition indeed and I would like to hear more about it as you have mentioned the internet does not seem to have a lot of info on the subject either. So they mights need to be personal first hand accounting. Something gives me the impression that thing will go back to normal because the body always tries to return to a natural state of homeostasis but this could be the one thing that just "happened" certainly would not be the first time something odd has happened with medication.

Good point about the possibility that this could be temporary. It's hard to believe this drug or any drug wouldn't build tolerance. Although what I've read about baclofen is that it's resistant to tolerance atleast it's muscle relaxing antispasmodic properties. I really hope these anti craving properties stick around because as its stands I'm cured and have no need for any AA meetings or anything. There's no battle going on for me anymore. Although it's really killing me that I can't have an orgasm. I will be sure to update my progress as time goes by with this drug.

Sounds a bit like PAWS name user. Exercise , good healthy food ect and time. Developing a mindset that these feelings are part of protracted withdrawal and will end is important imho.
good luck.