Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member

Baby died when mom, boyfriend gave him fentanyl to calm him: prosecutor

Anne Hayes
Penn Live
27 Aug 2022

Excerpt:
Syracuse, N.Y. — The mother of an 11-month-old boy and her boyfriend accidentally gave the boy a fatal dose of fentanyl in an attempt to calm the baby down, according to the Onondaga County, N.Y., district attorney.

The baby boy ingested the fatal dose of fentanyl inside a Syracuse apartment in May, according to court papers and prosecutors.

“I have never seen a baby die of fentanyl toxicity,” said Chief Assistant District Attorney Melinda McGunnigle who has worked as a prosecutor for 15 years. “We were shocked when we got the (medical examiner’s) report.”

The boy’s mother, Elizabeth Sauve, 31, and her boyfriend, Quyen Huynh, 38, were charged Thursday with second-degree manslaughter, Chief Assistant District Attorney Melinda McGunnigle said.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems unclear if it was intentional or not. The District Attorney is making such accusations, although I'm not sure what proof they had.

Doesn't matter much, though. Even if the baby somehow accidentally exposed himself, it's still murder of a child/reckless homicide.

6rd83l.jpg

What on earth were the parent's thinking?

What on earth were the parent's thinking?
I've seen several of these types of stories recently, like one grandmother who "punished" a child's bad behavior by forcing the 5 year old to drink an entire bottle of liquor (while the mother watched). The child died from alcohol poisoning, had a BAC of about 0.6.

So fucked up... some people are simply not qualified to raise children.

Qualified? No one is qualified.

I was raised by an abusive grandmother, but I loved her and cried when she died. When it was my turn I raised my children quite differently, lovingly and close. While my childhood wasn't the best I still managed to turn out fine, in fact it made me strong and able to face adversity. I don't know what to say other than that.

Its interesting to see that they have never seen an infants death due to Fent.. what about those claims that Police were OD ing from accidentally coming in skin contact with minute amounts.. sure you weren't doing an investigative bump?