B.C. doctors given Health Canada approval to prescribe heroin

That's fantastic.

Slowly, the fascist walls of this war on drugs have begun to crumble.

Harper and his hidden agenda Conservatives know their ulterior motive anti-drug policies have begun to lose their sway. In the face of new or recent, science-driven, factual ideology, adults of all ages who once stubbornly walked and talked the path of the Conservative, have begun to embrace the truth. And I rejoice for being alive to witness the recent events of late which have contributed to slowly but surely undermining this 40+ year-old war on drug users which has caused untold amounts of irreparable damage since its inception, ironically by a crooked president.

I optimistically await the day, when no one has their freedom snatched away because they felt the need to self-medicate or experiment with a psychotropic substance. A day when we shall look upon the so-called "war on drugs" in bemusement and sadness at the hands of capitalist hypocrites who where in a position to stop or avoid this altogether, but rather chose to look the other way because of the 'financial benefits' awaiting them.

Lastly, one day, I hope that those in power who would choose to break their promises during elections, particularly in relation to drug policy reform, are impeached and banned for the rest of their lives from politics in general.

Edit - I seriously need to relocate to Vancouver. I grow tired of Toronto. Partly because the Leafs continue to suck.

I feel like making pharmaceutical heroin available for select individuals is vital to reducing the harm that heroin addiction generally causes to the user and the public. However, I think that there are so many reasons people use heroin and each addict is unique. There are some addicts who use because of deep emotional pain in their lives. And then there are addicts who's primary reason for using is a biological "imbalance" that causes them to need opioids to function and live a healthy, happy life.

I think its important to assume in initial treatment that most addicts could successfully beat addiction by undergoing extensive therapy to address underlying mental health issues. However, clearly, there are many addicts for whom addiction will be a life-long struggle. These people may in fact need opioids of one form or another for the rest of their life to fully function. And for these people, prescription heroin should be available.

But not every addict needs this and for those who opioids are simply another drug through which to numb emotional pain, it would be a shame to see them surrender to a life of dependance and not get the emotional therapy the need. All addicts are unique in their addiction causes and triggers. The availability of different forms of treatment to treat different addicts should be the goal and that's the significance of heroin maintenance programs: to treat only the addicts who will clearly need opioids for the rest of their life.

pmoseman;12094234 said:
A person who does not NEED opiods to live the rest of their life, do they?

Depends how you define what it means to live your life.

Living in constant pain and suffering is no way to live.

A large portion of suicides throughout the world are attributed to chronic pain and suffering for which the deceased was unable to find relief.

It's very sad that countless people are suffering from chronic pain needlessly.

Many of them have not been provided with an adequate level of relief because of the controversial nature of the drugs required (narcotics/opioids) to treat such severe pain.

Doctors fear losing their license to practice, and also prosecution from law enforcement for over-prescribing opioids.

When I was very ill at one point, my own doctor told me that he knew I was in a lot of pain, but that he's worried about being arrested by the cops for over-prescribing. That's when I decided to self-medicate myself with prescription opioids bought off the black market, as well as Heroin once I found a reliable, trustworthy dealer and realized it was cheaper (but still much more expensive than the cost of a prescription).

Ignorance about this nasty drug "heroin" is a large reason otherwise rational people would support giving heroin to heroin t heroin addicts. I know some people will say "why encourage people to become addicts by giving it to them". Well, all I can say is that people don't intend to become heroin addicts. But once its hooks are in, it's very difficult to change. I will leave it at that.

I really, really more people understood opiod addiction, but the only way that would ever happen would be widescale opiod addiction. It's nothing like any other addiction that I've come across, personally, and I am not saying that because it's the only drug I've been addicted to. I really do wish more poeple either understood, or at least had compassion for addicts whose obly real harm comes from the fact that the drug is illegal. It depresses me so much.

opi8;12020588 said:
I "tropisticate" your complete ignorance and bias.

Oh you know what. That 70% recidivism rate could be due to a lot of people being out on parole. Why don't you check that out for me.