• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Avoiding misanthropy

I can't offer advice to others, but what I do is assume a constructive approach - even if people are fallible or even outright evil, I love what people could be. I believe anyone can be good, if only they saw the "truth". This is more of a religious belief than one based on reason or facts, but I believe it can't hurt :)

This.

The Masonic / Hermetic symbolism of the smooth polished geometrically perfect marble block emerging from the rough-hewn quarried stone has always proven a very uplifting antidote to misanthropy for me.

We're naturally cut out to take the easy, lazy, selfish ways out. And many people do, all the time. But we have the potential to be better than that, and great karmic rewards are likely for anyone who strives against all odds to refine his base animal nature into something higher. What's more, this effect can spread to everyone who encounters this person.

Sentient existence is easy to frame as a test -- are YOU up to the challenge of using an ability (self awareness) that evolved in the context of sheer self-advancement, as a tool for realizing how much of a cosmic joke self-advancement is?

How? Its something I've pondered for a while....I do have a feeling of disgust towards humanity- yet, on an indivual level, I generally like people. I know that the people I see (and myself) are the same as the destroyers, but I can't ever feel hate towards an individual. But, in regards to the human race, I feel a great sense of disappointment. How to reconcile these feelings with the knowledge that most humans are seperately good people is troubling.....when, on a whole, our actions are despicable at times; more often then not....

Thoughts?

it may seem the fate of humanity, an entity that we can only think about and not be around entirely, has been predetermined with no hope in saving itself from inevitable destruction yet on an individual level we see selfless acts fueled by selfish desires and these individuals, including you and i, make up 'humanity'...is the 'good' we do really 'good'?...haha good is a pretty funny word but for the most part just do what makes you smile.

I dunno about reconcile - I think to accept is probably first off - the difference between the human & humanity is one of ah distance I believe.

businesses and organizations have become a whole new entity.

i agree very much with plato/socrates in their view of humans being essentially good/virtuous but doing bad/vicious things out of ignorance as doing wrong results in bad things happening to those who do it and no one would willingly wish harm upon themselves.
To put it in Biblical and evolutionary terms, this greatest plague of society is the sin of Cain - intraspecies predation. Bettering yourself at the expense of others.
And these are some possible ways in which good (or at least neutral) people may get to commit or be accomplices to evil deeds, just off the top of my head:

Distance and lack of empathy - they do not feel the pain they are causing - just the benefit they will earn. If one would feel, or at least imagine, the suffering of their victim, they would have second thoughts. Btw, I think this is one of the reasons why women are more afraid of violence than men.

Short-sightedness - what goes around, comes around eventually, for the vast majority of wrongdoers, but they are blinded by the immediate prospect of profit. Play now, pay later - they tout the slogan but probably don't really understand its implications.

Organizations:
Diffusion of responsibility - Being part of a group, especially impersonal, may make it easier for people to shed moral responsibility and project it on the fictional construct of the personified Organization. There is no such thing, it's just a group of people, the organization does not tell them what to do, each bears personal responsibility for what they make themselves part of.

Groupthink - Individuals melting into a collective mass are also prone to reciprocally reassure one another about being right, however insane their ideas might be. Other persons' opinions, the more the better, are held in too high an esteem by people, and are too readily used as justification for their own foolishness. Basically, a gang of fools may goad and reassure one another that they are wise men. I'm sure that for example many Nazis were normal people.

Another mechanism that I do not fully understand derives from the motivation structure of people. It is said that the greatest evil is good people doing nothing. So called 'evil' people are in fact neutral in intent - most do not want to hurt anyone, they just want power / wealth. Predation is just the means to that end. Thus, they have a personal and immediate incentive to do things that might harm others. The 'good' people, the sheep who fall victim to the wolves, have no incentive to do anything until they are personally victimised - another consequence of short-sightedness. But by that time it is late - the wolves have the advantage of offense over defense and of divide et impera. And people who want to acquire power in order to defend themselves but are not willing to harm others are at a disadvantage simply because 'evil' people are willing to use techniques that they are not.

In the end though, in normal conditions predation is self-limiting. 'Evil' people are always a minority; they cannot impose themselves by force, but must partially depend on not provoking a response from their victims; if they do TOO much harm or if they do not hide their actions and manipulate their victims, the sheep will smother them by sheer numbers. Somewhat like in nature, they are a fringe phenomenon that preys on the weaker.
But as human society becomes more centralized, it is moving away from this model. The few, the wolves, are gaining more power over the sheep. I believe that if sheep want to stay free they will at some point have to grow fangs.

Last edited:
To put it in Biblical and evolutionary terms, this greatest plague of society is the sin of Cain - intraspecies predation. Bettering yourself at the expense of others.
And these are some possible ways in which good (or at least neutral) people may get to commit or be accomplices to evil deeds, just off the top of my head:

Distance and lack of empathy - they do not feel the pain they are causing - just the benefit they will earn. If one would feel, or at least imagine, the suffering of their victim, they would have second thoughts. Btw, I think this is one of the reasons why women are more afraid of violence than men.

Short-sightedness - what goes around, comes around eventually, for the vast majority of wrongdoers, but they are blinded by the immediate prospect of profit. Play now, pay later - they tout the slogan but probably don't really understand its implications.

Organizations:
Diffusion of responsibility - Being part of a group, especially impersonal, may make it easier for people to shed moral responsibility and project it on the fictional construct of the personified Organization. There is no such thing, it's just a group of people, the organization does not tell them what to do, each bears personal responsibility for what they make themselves part of.

Groupthink - Individuals melting into a collective mass are also prone to reciprocally reassure one another about being right, however insane their ideas might be. Other persons' opinions, the more the better, are held in too high an esteem by people, and are too readily used as justification for their own foolishness. Basically, a gang of fools may goad and reassure one another that they are wise men. I'm sure that for example many Nazis were normal people.

Another mechanism that I do not fully understand derives from the motivation structure of people. It is said that the greatest evil is good people doing nothing. So called 'evil' people are in fact neutral in intent - most do not want to hurt anyone, they just want power / wealth. Predation is just the means to that end. Thus, they have a personal and immediate incentive to do things that might harm others. The 'good' people, the sheep who fall victim to the wolves, have no incentive to do anything until they are personally victimised - another consequence of short-sightedness. But by that time it is late - the wolves have the advantage of offense over defense and of divide et impera. And people who want to acquire power in order to defend themselves but are not willing to harm others are at a disadvantage simply because 'evil' people are willing to use techniques that they are not.

In the end though, in normal conditions predation is self-limiting. 'Evil' people are always a minority; they cannot impose themselves by force, but must partially depend on not provoking a response from their victims; if they do TOO much harm or if they do not hide their actions and manipulate their victims, the sheep will smother them by sheer numbers. Somewhat like in nature, they are a fringe phenomenon that preys on the weaker.
But as human society becomes more centralized, it is moving away from this model. The few, the wolves, are gaining more power over the sheep. I believe that if sheep want to stay free they will at some point have to grow fangs.
Most of what you are saying, I put it down to this paragraph of yours-here>

>Groupthink - Individuals melting into a collective mass are also prone to reciprocally reassure one another about being right, however insane their ideas might be. Other persons' opinions, the more the better, are held in too high an esteem by people, and are too readily used as justification for their own foolishness. Basically, a gang of fools may goad and reassure one another that they are wise men. I'm sure that for example many Nazis were normal people.

GROUP mind is the worse of all evil! One individual as a leader, and his sheep (the group he has created) have disavowed responsibility and individuality and their morals. Encouraged and supported by the group mind, they cause a lot of pain, yet blinded to the evil they create! The lack of rationale in their thinking is something an outsider can see, but not the group mind!

How? Its something I've pondered for a while....I do have a feeling of disgust towards humanity- yet, on an indivual level, I generally like people. I know that the people I see (and myself) are the same as the destroyers, but I can't ever feel hate towards an individual. But, in regards to the human race, I feel a great sense of disappointment. How to reconcile these feelings with the knowledge that most humans are seperately good people is troubling.....when, on a whole, our actions are despicable at times; more often then not....

Thoughts?

Humanity is a beautiful tragedy,I can atleast respect beauty.

Bumping to avoid prune.

[Just noticed a question for me remained unanswered. MNIND, promise I'll reply in a bit, now that I have this thread in front of me! <3]

missing one thing: most human beings are not good or exceptionally moral people, it completely depends on the situation. I would go so far as too say half the time we are good half the time wrong in someway.