• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Availability of RU486 Abortion Pill in Aust

Pete,

going to answer your hypothetical question! I'd rather have an abortion via a pill and that's not because of the surgery as such - its because in my above post - I can walk into a doctor - no one in that waiting room knows what I am there for - I can take my script to a chemist - no one knows what I am there for - I can go home and take it and only people I chose to tell know what has happened to me! Having had an abortion - I was terrified someone I knew would see me walking into the clinic and all the Pro Lifers out the front gave me a hard time because they knew what I was there for. The availability of a pill would not sway me one way or another - I've had surgical terminations therefore I'm not totally against them - however if you had of asked me before I fell pregnant with an unwanted child - the thought of an abortion horrified me - I was never going to go down that path - how things change when you are placed in the situation! I chat on a parenting and bith forum and there are quite a few young (17 and 18) year old single mums on that forum! I'm not going to start an arguement on the rights and wrongs of this, however I do think some people are not ready to have a child at that age, and the thought of surgical terminations terrifies some people therefore I have to wonder if a pill was available to these girls, whether or not they would have chosen another path to follow if you get my drift!
On a side note, I don't think the use of the Morning After Pill has increased since making it available over the counter? I actually had to purchase the MAP the other day and I went into the chemist with my 3 year old, my 6 month old, wedding rings on and I got a lecture from the pharmasist about having unprotected sex (OMG it was with my husband) Seriously, I felt like I was about 8 years old being told off (and whilst all of this happening my three year old proceeded to trash the chemist pulling things off the shelves and all I was thinking was - mate I'm doing the world a favour not adding another one to my tribe ;) )

pete_gasparino said:
To the woman on bluelight, those who may have had an abortion or could see themselves having one:

Speaking in hypothetical terms, would you rather have an abortion surgically or with the RU486 pill, and more importantly would the method of abortion dictate the likelihood of you undergoing the procedure?

A surgical abortion or a pill.

We are talking about choosing whether or not to become a parent at that point in our lives.

It is not a matter that is taken lightly, no matter what method is available. I truely do not think that it will make much difference to the amount of terminations. Girls don't have babies cos they are scared of operations.

Is RU486 potentially dangerous towards users?
i've done a little bit of reading up on the net, not exhaustive by any means, but the general gist of what i've seen is that generally it is safe.
there are sometimes complications, but you get that with everything.
personally i'd much rather have 100 women take the pill and have three who have complications and end up having to have the surgical procedure anyway than all 100 have to go through it because the pill isn't available. (of course that ratio is completely made up, i dont know the stats)

also something i've thought of from my little bit of research, though i'm not sure if i read it or imagined it, is that it's not a take home lie in bed type thing, it's done under doctor's supervision, you take the pill and stay there so they can monitor you and keep an eye on possible complications.

i should probably do some more reading rather than post speculation, but oh well, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

do you think that the availability of a drug like RU486 will increase the rate of abortion?

i think it might indeed make a difference in the number of abortions.

but where people are arguing that some women might use it like a form of birth control, i think of it more as there's a certain amount of women who don't have a termination because they're unable to get to a clinic, or they are scared of the procedure etc, so they just end up having the child.
i think it's those women who would bring up the abortion rate, and i don't really see why that's a problem.

if the child is going to be unwanted, unloved, if the parent is going to be unwilling, unfit, not financially stable enough, then i think in some instances abortion is definately the right answer.

would you rather have an abortion surgically or with the RU486 pill, and more importantly would the method of abortion dictate the likelihood of you undergoing the procedure?
i recently had a messup with my birth control pill and in that time, despite my entire life being of the mind that i wouldn't choose abortion for me, i did a complete backflip. despite being in a secure relationship, i'm not at the emotional or financial position to be able to support a child, and yes i would have an abortion, whether RU486 was available or not. though if it was i would definately choose it, i feel that for me just the fact that i was terminating a pregnancy would be ordeal enough, any way to minimalise the physical affects would be much appreciated.

but where people are arguing that some women might use it like a form of birth control, i think of it more as there's a certain amount of women who don't have a termination because they're unable to get to a clinic, or they are scared of the procedure etc, so they just end up having the child.
i think it's those women who would bring up the abortion rate, and i don't really see why that's a problem.

or the other scenario which meant I recently had to take a young friend for a 3 hour drive to Sydney for her to get an abortion, her mum's best friend is a nurse at the only place that performs terminations in her area. If only we'd been able to get RU486 for her, because if I couldn't have helped her out, I don't know what she would have done- there was even talk of her having a huge drug/alcohol binge for a week to try and force a miscarriage because she absolutely refused to go to the place her mum's friend worked at. Thankfullly we talked her out of that idea, and got her to Sydney.

If you haven't already heard...

Senators vote in favour of TGA control of abortion drug

Senators have voted in favour of a bill removing control over the abortion drug RU486 from the federal health minister.

Senators were given a rare conscience vote on the bill, with 45 voting in favour of the change and 28 voting against.

The bill now heads to the House of Representatives and if passed will end the Health Minister's power to ban RU486 and allow the Therapeutic Goods Administration to make a decision on the drug.

It is the first conscience vote since 2002.

Prime Minister John Howard has already indicated he will not be supporting the bill.

From ABC

For a change it seems the pollys have decided the people can make choices.
To my understanding the federal health minister would have just banned the drug, more on the basis of his religion than the safety of the drug. By allowing the Therapeutic Goods Administration to make the decision one would hope that safety is the only consideration that comes into the equation, and I’d like to think that the senators have given a rare conscience vote for this reason. Thus giving the general public the freedom of choice.
In my opinion the drug should be allowed, assuming it is found to be safe. The surgical option is legal and this voids any arguments about the morality of having the legal option to terminate a pregnancy. For those people saying the drug makes abortion easy and something just done over the lunch break… a few things I could say in reply but none of which I’m going to write. But to those with concerns it simply becomes a case of keeping records and if the drug is prescribed to a patient more that a set number of times the counselors should be called.

ian_strong said:
a few of u wont like my opinion but its an open forum....

i believe that abortion should only be considered if teh child to be is a rape child.... i dont think abortion should be available to just any one... teh only other way i think is if teh parents can genuinely not take care of teh child, ie, (sorry if there is any here but) heroin junkies or something along those lines..

just my personal opinion and i dont try force it on anyone else.

you have a penis dude
anyone with a penis doesn't have the right to comment on abortion

^^^That's total and utter bullshit.

You saying if you're g/f wanted to have an abortion then you'd be FINE knowing you wouldn't have any say in the matter at all. Even though this could be your child???

^^ it isn't my vagina that is going to be torn, my body to be stretched out of proportion.

besides, due to the fact that i'm never having children, i'd be completely fine with it.

just because your body is out of proportion and your vagina is torn fatz, doesn't mean that anyone unlucky enough to be carrying your spawn has to suffer the same fate.

they've already been through enough.

*edit* off topic

Last edited by a moderator:
In your face Howard and cronies. Seems not all politicians are complete fuckwits.

Nope, hangon, I take that back.

Is RU486 potentially dangerous towards users?

I'm no medical expert nor do I claim to be, but it seems like something that would kill off a fetus could have potentially dangerous effects on a woman. I mean, 'seems', it's very general, like I said I don't know anything about it, so perhaps it's entirely safe, and I hope so.

RU486 works by occupying the progesterone receptors on the uterine wall, causing a build up of progesterone, which in turn causes the wall to release. It's much the same mechanism behind what occurs during menstration. Releasing of the placenta apparently feels like a tearing sensation, and considering the amount that would be eliminated, I'd imagine it wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

RU 486: the abortion pill explained

I'll say little on the ethical side of this matter other than to also remind that the abortion issue is long past us (thank goodness). With the recent vote to place approval in the hands of the TGA, I believe the correct decision will be made, based on scientific findings rather than what 1 or 2 *wise* men think is best for everyone.

Aborton pill passes

LAWS stripping Health Minister Tony Abbott of his control over abortion pill RU486 have passed Parliament, clearing the way for the drug to be made available to Australian women.

In a rare conscience vote, MPs backed a Bill which overturns an effective ban on the drug.
Under the private members' Bill, Mr Abbott's power of approval over RU486 will be handed to the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

The vote came after two and a half days of emotional debate in which dozens of MPs outlined their reasons for or against the contentious Bill.

Advertisement:
The majority of MPs also voted against two amendments to the Bill, proposed by Liberal backbenchers Jackie Kelly and Andrew Laming, which would have given Parliament a say in the approval process.

I dont understand the controversy about this. If more guys did what i do, there wouldnt be a problem to begin with.

Just mail the girl in question a couple of coat-hangers with a little note attached saying "You know what to do".

Problem solved.

YAY!!!

Suck shit Tony Abbott. Keep your own belief system to yourself!