• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

ATTN: NY Area PD'ers -- HorizonsNYC: Psychedelic Conference! This Weekend [UPDATED]

champ

Bluelighter
banner.png

Here is some more information. Also please see my post at the end of this thread. --SKL

HORIZONS:
Perspectives on Psychedelics

September 19 - 21, 2008
Judson Memorial Church
55 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012

RECEPTION

Friday, September 19 8pm - midnight. Performance at 10pm.
Free with a Horizons conference ticket, $10 otherwise (cash only).

An evening of celebration, art, performance and friends featuring some of New York City's finest creative talent. Featuring: (in alphabetical order) large-scale inflatable installations by AKAirways, the GamelaTron, the world's first and only full robotic Gamelan orchestra and live silkscreening by Peripheral Media Projects.

SPEAKERS:

Saturday 9/20, 10am-12:30pm, 2:15-7:45pm
Sunday 9/21, 1:30-6:30pm

* Allan Hunt Badiner - Co-editor of Zig Zag Zen: Buddhism and Psychedelics
* Rick Doblin, Ph.D. - Founder/president of MAPS
* Robert Forte - Divinity scholar, editor of Entheogens and the Future of Religion
* Alex Grey - Artist and co-founder of Chapel of Sacred Mirrors
* Allyson Grey - Artist and co-founder of Chapel of Sacred Mirrors
* Roland Griffiths, Ph.D. - Psilocybin researcher, Professor of Behavioral Biology and Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
* John Halpern, M.D. - MDMA, psilocybin and peyote researcher, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Director of the Laboratory for Integrative Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
* Sean Helfritsch & Isaiah Saxon - Video artists, creators of Bjork's Wanderlust 3D music video
* Dan Merkur - Psychoanalyst, author of The Ecstatic Imagination
* Dimitri Mobengo Mugianis - Ibogaine therapist
* David Nichols, Ph.D. - Founder of Heffter Research Institute, Distinguished Chair in Pharmacology at Purdue University
* Daniel Pinchbeck - Author of Breaking Open the Head and 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl
* Sasha and Ann Shulgin - Pharmacological pioneers, authors of Tikhal and Pikhal

Is anyone going to this? Not sure if this is the best forum to post it on, but PD gets so much more traffic than the "events" forum or whatever it's called.

Anywhoo:

http://horizonsnyc.org/

Taking place in NYC September 19th-21st, speakers like Rick Doblin, John Halperin, THE SHULGINS, David Nichols and more!

I went to the last one and it was very inspiring and awesome in many ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going but that is quite the lineup. I would especially like to see Alex Grey, Pinchbeck and the Shulgins.

If you go, please do us a favour and make a videotape! :)

I'm going. Meet and greet, anyone?

I know a few other PD regulars who I hope will show :D

I was kind of angling for a meet and greet ;)

We could go for a drink or something.

i have already bought my ticket!

EDIT: and i plan to audio record it.

Last edited:
this evening I will order my tickets.

this contingent upon if some friends I have up there can house me ;) , or if some people want to throw down on a hotel or something?

I just got nowhere to stay for the three days. but I/we can figure that out.

Last edited:
i would love to go but i have no new york connects to stay at and no way of geting up there. how much would plane tickets be?

IGNVS said:
i would love to go but i have no new york connects to stay at and no way of geting up there. how much would plane tickets be?
take a bus, you got two weeks, a two weeks in advanced ticket from coast to coast is less then a 100 bucks. thats what Im doing. Grey Hound baby, the ONLY way to travel. and if you want we can get a hotel in north jersey (I imagine it would cheaper then NYC... maybe not) and transit to NYC for the three days. Or if it doesn't call for rain we can just live on the streets of NYC for three days, Iv done it, not big deal. In fact another BLighter last i heard is currently staying on the streets of NYC the same fashion.

BTW where you from? PM me if you want.

effingcustie said:
Hadn't heard of this but that's quite a lineup, I'll probably be there
I'm sorry but we will need more of a commitment then that.

hamhurricane said:
and i plan to audio record it.

I got this image of someone in the auditorium or whatever with one of those eight foot tall mics like at shows. Made me giggle, but I would love to hear those lectures.

LordKrishna said:
I can record 8 hours on my MP3 player.

But it won't be a hettie soundboard matrix. JK I will listen to anything I can get when it comes to these lectures. I have listened to some horrible sounding Psychedelic Salons but it is always worth it.

I recall that there was someone videotaping this event last year. I'm not 100% sure though.

That would be badass. And I'd be totally down for making the trip considering that lineup.

...But I already have Dark Star Orchestra tickets that weekend. Which will still be badass! :D

*does a little dance*

To all the BLers that are going, though: best of wishes! Everybody have a safe trip, and have a blast in NYC! :)

Wish I could go!
Spent the last of my money on tickets to see STS9 and Lotus.
Have a blast and a safe trip everyone!

alright, something has come to my attention. Are some of you from NYC? if so you got room on your floor couch? are some of you getting hotel rooms? if so wanna split cost when so other BLighters? Im good regardless but some people could probably benefit from bunking up together. I don't think it would be bad to post what you have planned because I imagine this is purely an educational event and not "omg dude, lets go rage it" type thing.