• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe At Home Suboxone Rapid Detox (Plus Long term suboxone side effects)

insidious

Bluelighter
Let me start off by saying that this is my first post and I am sorry if I did not adhere to the guidelines of this site. I am just posting here because of the helpful information that I have received from this forum in the past, and I would like to share how I successfully got off a year stint taking suboxone; hopefully this helps someone.

I have been a heavy semi-functioning heroin addict, on and off, for the last 6 years, since I was 16. I have had multiple years of clean time in the past and I honestly hate the idea of being an addict, but its what I am. I am not going into the details of what exactly my addiction entailed but trust me, in the past I have done many things to support my IV addiction.

I decided to crawl into a suboxone clinic in May 2014, and I was prescribed 8mg strips, because less is more. No offense to these 24mg users, but I think that's pointless. For me at least, Id rather suffer than be more physically dependent. Soon thereafter I cut my dose to 4mg, id say about after a week of being on suboxone. I was feeling great, like I had in the past on this wonderful drug. I had no ill side effects and I decided to cut down again to 2mg after just a month. At this point I was thriving at work and enrolled in the next semester of school. I thought all was well.

After about a year of being on 2mg of suboxone, everything changed. This drug had side effects I could not overcome. I did not have the willpower to taper down and I started to realize suboxone is not what its cracked up to be. After prolonged usage, its almost like being in mild withdrawal every single day. I began losing all motivation, and I could barely get out of bed. I also lost all my emotions which really hurt my relationships. I also started losing weight because all food tasted horrible. At this point I knew I had to get off, but I had responsibilities which prevented me from doing so.

Finally after the semester ended the plans were in place to get off of this drug and rid myself of this horrible depression. My doctor supported my decision, and even went as far to say most people never get off. He recommended that I take naltrexone to induce rapid detox, and I agreed. Only because I hate the long suboxone withdrawals. He said it will be like, "Pulling off a band-aid." How wrong he was...

I went into his office on a friday to prep for the vivitrol shot. At this point I had not taken suboxone in 30 hours (WAY TOO SHORT). He took me to the office and injected me with some sort of anti-nausea medicine, which left a golf ball sized lump in my ass. He also gave me around ten pills, and told me to lay down. I barely could stay awake when he came back in with the vivitrol shot a little later. He then injected it into my other cheek, and I felt fine. He gave me some scripts and sent me on my way.

When I got home, all hell broke loose. I have had precipitated withdrawals before but this... this was another level of hell. I wanted to sleep because of the pills he gave me, but this was impossible. I shit my pants and began pacing around the island in my kitchen simultaneously punching my legs because of the severe RLS. I curled into a ball and took every pill he gave me, then threw them up two seconds later. After digging the pills out of the sink, I tried popping them again to no avail. I jumped in the shower and prayed for a gun to end all of this. This is not me.
15.gif

This lasted a few hours until I passed out, probably close to death. After 3 days now I feel amazing, speaking relatively of course. I even plan on going to work.

4.gif
My point is that suboxone is not a cure, it just prolongs the inevitable. As for jumping off suboxone at 2mg rapidly, Id say its worth it... if you really want to quit (and you don't have a gun). If you just want to lower your tolerance, then you shouldn't try rapid detox. You need to want it, and really want to change.

God Bless

"Cold is Pain
Pain is Growth
And every seed that grows, sees the rain
And the rain gon' come, it ain't nothing new
But when it's done... the sun shining through"
-Blu

ouch. at least 3 days later youre all good, but...i use the taper method myself, but it sounds like naltrexone induced rapid wd is at least an option, albeit a painful one.
i totally know what you mean when you say maintaining on sub is like being in mild wd all the time...ive said this so many times in the past its stupid.
at least youre done, but if theres a next time i might suggest a (semi)rapid taper, its a much smoother ride down

Your doctor is an idiot. Wow just wow

Yeah, but now that its over I don't regret it. Slow taper from suboxone is a slippery slope. At least with an antagonist you can't get high and you are forced to stick it through. I just recommend a hospital setting for anyone else with the audacity to try rapid detox.

Just an update, vivitrol is fucking hell. The side effects are literally identical to withdrawal so I'm not quite sure why the fuck they give this to people trying to get off opiates. It has been 24 days since I took the shot and I feel like total shit, I can barely go to work. Once I ran out of valium I realized that I must have spoken too soon, retrospect and all. I literally spend most nights in a real life deranged horror movie. I cant sleep so I just lay there thinking about the ceiling fan and how it burns my skin, in some sort of irrational irritated state. Or Ill go to sleep and have night terrors, which is almost worse.

I cant tell you how much I hate this drug, I cant imagine if I wanted to get high while on this bullshit poison.

Do NOT go this route.

You can CT off 2mg suboxone; in Australia - 2mg is actually the smallest prescribed dose - after that they get you to jump off. Obviously, you can stash some and taper further, which I would recommend; but when I got off long-term suboxone use, I had recently gone from 6mg, down to 2mg in about 4 weeks then jumped to nothing at all, not even valium. It was pleasant and the first week I wasn't really good to go to work, but basically it was manageable. I'd recommend tapering, if you have the option, but if not, there's no real damage jumping from 2mg - but it's not pleasant either.

After a year on suboxone CT is another ballgame. I have jumped off at 4mg and I was fine; I just needed the maintenence until I was mentally capable of staying away.

Once I ran out of valium...

Valium detox is no fun either. I was on 20mg/day for around a year, quit CT (didnt know any better at the time), and it took a good 6 weeks for me to feek ok again. It'll get better!

He gave me 20 Valium to help with the withdrawals. I took them as prescribed, which is a win in itself. I have been addicted to benzos as well in the past, 10mg a day xanax habit.

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack thread but has anyone ever done a short sub taper? I'm planning to start one Friday.

Don't mean to hijack thread but has anyone ever done a short sub taper? I'm planning to start one Friday.

What is your current usage and what kind of short taper did you have in mind? In general, suboxone lends itself self fairly well, as much as an opiod can really, to short tapers.

Was planning to do almost a week taper 4 mg Friday to 3mg 2-1-.5 etc tolerance was getting to be around 180-300 mg oxy but I've been working myself down to 120 or less a day past week to help out

Was planning to do almost a week taper 4 mg Friday to 3mg 2-1-.5 etc tolerance was getting to be around 180-300 mg oxy but I've been working myself down to 120 or less a day past week to help out

Oh yeah - rapid suboxone taper works very well in this situation, IME. I've come off long heroin binges, then done a quick 4-5 days on subs and almost cheated the WDs altogether (minimal WDs).

Thing is - the *real* value of suboxone/methadone is long-term maintenance. You can do a rapid taper/detox with suboxone, to get through the harsh short-acting WDs you'll get from something like oxy. But it will do nothing to stop your fiending. By all means, try it. But if you find yourself back on the gear straight after detoxing, then maybe consider maintenance. The real value is sticking to suboxone for a year or so and totally break the fiending mind-set, of course, by then you will have signed up for drawn-out suboxone (or methadone) WDs; that can last a month or more even. But - if that is what it takes, then it's worth it. My advise is to generally try first, without long-term maintenance, but if you keep trying and failing, eventually that can really get you down and constantly going through WDs while trying to get clean is not fun; you'll end up spending half your life high and the other half in agony. Not fun. So, if you can't break the cycle, go for long-term suboxone, it's surprisingly effective in breaking a habit. although, there is no miracle cure.

Definitely just try the rapid taper, this is what they use in most detox centers and it works wonders. You just need some safety nets in place to help with the hardest few months afterwards. Suboxone has its demons like any other opiod, and I dont recommend maintenance, unless its a last resort. The quicker you start and stop the better, if that doesnt work, go ahead with maintenance.

Just an FYI, most times they give you some sort of other drugs to help because you will have the sweats and insomnia at the very least. If you can, try to get clonodine and a mild sleep aid like trazadone. Other than that you should be fine and feel free to post your results.

^Yes, definitely. Today is my second day without Subs and I feel totally fine on 5g Kratom and 0,25mg Flubromazolam.

I have a general question regarding this rapid Detox thing: I always thought Buprenorphine could not be "countered" with Naloxone/Naltrexone due to its high affinity.
At least with Bupre ODs this seems to be the case. So how does this rapid method work?

Also I disagree with jumping off at 2mg without further tapering. It would be hell for me, I even had a very harsh WD from ~0,5mg/day so tapering down to sub-mg-doses should always be considered.

However great job OP, you got some balls. I'd never dare to do this.

Also I disagree with jumping off at 2mg without further tapering. It would be hell for me, I even had a very harsh WD from ~0,5mg/day so tapering down to sub-mg-doses should always be considered.

In Ausralia; that is the policy, you cannot get prescribed less than 2mg, they force you to jump from 2mg to nothing. Of course, a lot of people stash away some to allow an easier transition, but plenty jump from 2mg. And yeah, it isn't pleasant, I wouldn't call it 'Hell' - it doesn't give you seizures or anything, but yeah, it's not fun and you feel pretty bad for about a month (I woke up in cold sweat - literally a puddle on my bed, drenching me) for nearly 5 weeks after I jumped from 2mg.. But, I still went to work during this time, sometimes you just gotta 'man up' and accept you did it to yourself, feel the pain and hope that it helps you not make the same poor decisions in the future.