• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News As fentanyl ravages San Francisco, there’s been a sudden shift in the debate over a get-tough method of rehab emphasizing abstinence

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

As fentanyl ravages San Francisco, there’s been a sudden shift in the debate over a get-tough method of rehab emphasizing abstinence​

Kevin Fagan
San Francisco Chronicle
1 Mar 2022

Desperate to combat a drug epidemic that’s cost more than 1,300 lives in the past two years, San Francisco officials are pushing to get more people into treatment and spending millions on expanding existing programs and creating new ones.

Now, some city leaders and nonprofits are reviving talk of a get-tough method of rehab that has been largely rejected throughout the U.S. since the 1990s — placing a primary emphasis on requiring clients to shake their addictions without medication or relapses, loosely referred to as abstinence.

Currently, the city’s health department and its nonprofit partners embrace a “harm reduction” approach, letting people shed addictions mostly at their own pace with help from medication if requested and without intensive judgment from counselors if they relapse. At times that means going into residential rehab, but it also can simply be living inside away from the temptations of street dealers.

Read the full article here (paywalled).

As fentanyl ravages San Francisco, there’s been a sudden shift in the debate over a get-tough method of rehab emphasizing abstinence​

Kevin Fagan
San Francisco Chronicle
1 Mar 2022

Read the full article here (paywalled).
I sure do hate a paywall. This would be an interesting article if the newspaper wasn't owned by parasitic capitalists (but I repeat myself, heh).

I didn't realize fentanyl was a huge thing in SF. I guess maybe I'm tripping or something, because I thought ya know west coast tar typically didn't have fentanyl cuts. Thought it was more of a powder thing.

But I guess it's happening everywhere. It's a bummer, and policies like this are guaranteed to make everything worse.

I sure do hate a paywall. This would be an interesting article if the newspaper wasn't owned by parasitic capitalists (but I repeat myself, heh).

I didn't realize fentanyl was a huge thing in SF. I guess maybe I'm tripping or something, because I thought ya know west coast tar typically didn't have fentanyl cuts. Thought it was more of a powder thing.

But I guess it's happening everywhere. It's a bummer, and policies like this are guaranteed to make everything worse.
i was able to bypass it by using the 'reader view' on firefox, just an fyi...

and yeah unfortunately fent has made it's way to the west coast in recent years :/

i was able to bypass it by using the 'reader view' on firefox, just an fyi...

and yeah unfortunately fent has made it's way to the west coast in recent years :/
I think at this point Baltimore and the east coast have surpassed fentanyl and have entered the etonitazene evolutionary stage.

Expect even more bodies, and probably even less good ideas or harm reduction implemented by local or federal government.

I think at this point Baltimore and the east coast have surpassed fentanyl and have entered the etonitazene evolutionary stage.

Expect even more bodies, and probably even less good ideas or harm reduction implemented by local or federal government.
I’ve seen the reports of nitazene drugs on the East coast… is it really that common there now? Man I thought it was only some isolated instances. That sucks to hear

I’ve seen the reports of nitazene drugs on the East coast… is it really that common there now? Man I thought it was only some isolated instances. That sucks to hear
I mean, not sure. I only had a fentanyl test for the dope I overdosed on, obviously it was positive for that. But when in the hospital they also made a point to give me a pamphlet about it because it's been so bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dope I did had it. I mean, idk, it hit me like a brick. And I have a tolerance from years of being on either heroin, kratom, or Suboxone. It hit harder than any of the fentadope I had '18-20', and I was going to the city to get a gram or two of that every day or two.

I mean, not sure. I only had a fentanyl test for the dope I overdosed on, obviously it was positive for that. But when in the hospital they also made a point to give me a pamphlet about it because it's been so bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dope I did had it. I mean, idk, it hit me like a brick. And I have a tolerance from years of being on either heroin, kratom, or Suboxone. It hit harder than any of the fentadope I had '18-20', and I was going to the city to get a gram or two of that every day or two.
scary stuff man

you know the drill, but make sure never use alone and always have naloxone on hand. without safe supply and/or affordable drug checking that's really all one can do unfortunately.

Oh it has been for many, many years now. I've seen bums nodding out from fentadope on the streets in San Fran many times since 2015.

Abstinence Only Education Is An Example Of All Or Nothing Thinking And Leads To Endless & Unreasonable Frustration.

"Moderation In All Things, Including Moderation."--Oscar Wilde.

"Wisdom, Justice, & Moderation."--The State Of Georgia's Official State Motto.