• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

arrest for fake xanax pills linked to two deaths

herbavore

Bluelight Crew
Santa Cruz Sentinel

A mug shot of 22-year-old Daniel Meehan is displayed above Santa Cruz County Sheriff Jim Hart, right, on Tuesday during a news conference about Meehan's arrest. Meehan is accused of distributing counterfeit Xanax, which led to the deaths of two men. (Kevin Johnson -- Santa Cruz Sentinel)

APTOS >> After two men died from taking counterfeit Xanax pills in Santa Cruz County recent weeks, Santa Cruz County sheriff’s deputies Tuesday announced the arrest of a 22-year-old Aptos man who admitted to supplying the drug to one of the victims.

When deputies searched the home of Daniel Meehan on the 700 block of Calabasas Road on Friday, they said they found one-quarter pound of cocaine, four guns, 80 marijuana plants and a butane hash oil lab. Meehan told detectives that he tried to destroy the pills when he found out they were lethal, said sheriff’s Lt. Kelly Kent.

“He burned the medication and then tried to dump them onto White Road” not far from the house, said Kent. “Deputies scoured the area and were able to locate 10 of the lethal pills.”

Meehan was arrested on suspicion of manufacturing and sales of drugs, possession of an illegal assault weapon, marijuana sales and illegal marijuana cultivation, Kent said. Meehan was booked into Santa Cruz County Jail on Friday and posted $50,000 bail, said Santa Cruz County District Attorney Jeff Rosell. Charges have not been filed, Rosell said, and he is due in court Nov. 19.

Rosell said he was unsure whether Meehan would be charged in either of the two recent deaths related to the counterfeit Xanax.

Authorities said the drug looks nearly identical to genuine Xanax, which treats anxiety and panic disorders. It actually contained fentanyl, a potent opioid medication that is cheaper to produce, authorities said.

“You have a drug that’s supposed to look like Xanax, which is kind of common out there in the community, and really it’s more dangerous,” Rosell said.

Santa Cruz County Coroner Stephany Fiore said the phony street Xanax has a duller texture and rougher edges than genuine Xanax.

Investigators said it remains unclear who manufactured the lethal fake Xanax, which had been distributed at at least one party and used recreationally in South County in recent weeks.

At a party in Watsonville Oct. 24, a 19-year-old man and another man ingested what they thought was Xanax, Kent said. They became severely ill and were taken to Watsonville Community Hospital, Kent said. The 19-year-old died and the other man recovered.

On Oct. 27, a 29-year-old Aptos man consumed what he thought was Xanax and was found dead in his home the next day, sheriff’s Sgt. Chris Clark has said. A toxicology test showed that the man took a lethal dose of fentanyl, Kent said.

Sounds like a typical party house in the Santa Cruz mountains--a few plants, a BHO lab, some guns, and little bit o blow.

I wish I had some fake Xanax containing fent bars :(

They seem to be of varying dosage, with the lethal ones being the strongest. How else could some people die on supposedly 1, but others are using them recreationally multiple times?

Yea, not having any fucking clue how much was in the pills would be a downside for sure, haha. Still, can't I dream?! :)

Right?! I mean, it would be pretty fucked up because you'd never know how much was in each bar, you wouldn't even know if the bar you're getting has any fent at all. But if I new I was buying bars with fent in them, even though I wouldn't know how much was actually in each bar, I'd still be pretty happy. Certainly not safe, but hey what can a junkbox do. I'd probably get creative and make some solution out of a lot of them, very carefully test will teeny tiny doses diluting it like crazy until I have a good idea what works, and then go from their with that.

LOL you can tell I was a junkie in a former life, that got me all excited and everything just thinking about it :D :p

I think the fent in the bars came from a poorly cleaned mixer or pill press. Fake opiate pills pressed with Fentanyl sell for even more than pressed Xanax so I wouldn’t be surprised if someone with a high quality pressing set up was willing to try making some of them. That means that the amount of fent in the bars is completely random, one could have nothing and one could have a lethal dose.

I'd imagine it's pretty tricky to dose fent in a pill press lol. It's supposedly very hard to do accurately with alprazolam even. To the point of varying doses from 1-10mg :\

Yea this is what I think was possibly someone pressing something else and then just started pressing bars and didn't sterilize or even wipe down the active and excipients containers.

Also there are ppl out there trying to sell oxy 30s and other pain pills that you would need access to poppies to make, so they practically are always some kind of fent or analog. There was one that was making the rounds called octylfent iirc?? Deep web vendor was selling shitty dope cut with it, and the reports said it was like 2x fent..so yea that's scary. Ppl who can probably just barely work an auto press pumping out millions of pills of low grade Alp and fent..

I happened to see a list of purity % of some dnm vendors, highest was like 87 lowest was like 80 and a few had none and one has px1 which is some kind d of rc noid.