• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Are 2C-B-FLY and βk/βOH-2C-B worth trying?

arrall

Administrator
Staff member
I have had dozens of experiences with 2C-B at dosages ranging from 2mg to 25mg (mostly in the 12-20mg range) and plan on experimenting with higher dosages in the near future.
A trusted vendor currently has listings available for βOH-2C-B and 2C-B-FLY. I was considering purchasing these substances but have read mixed reports about them.
From what I've gathered, both substances last significantly longer than 2C-B and can affect people very differently even at similar dosages. BOH seems to be more stimulating and clear-headed while FLY seems to be more visual and psychedelic.
My question is, as the title states, if it would be worth procuring either or both of these two compounds, or if I'm best off sticking with 2C-B.

Imo BOHB is pretty meh, literally any psychedelic gives a better and more interesting experience. But, it's still a psychedelic so it's not a complete waste of time.
I didn't like 2C-B-FLY all that much either, but some people love it and rate it highly.

I just find 2C-B to be more fun and more interesting than both, by miles.

Havent tried the BOHB. I have a few 2cbfly tests. I would say is on the vanilla side. Maybe my doses were a bit too low. Probably would be super fun at medium/high doses. I like long lasting, so for me is a feature.

Finally maybe it has a bit too long time to kickstart, so mg by mg I would say 2cb is better but 2cbfly is pretty legit if is the only thing you have access to

I've done both derivative drugs at least a dozen times now, and I've taken 2C-B ~80+ times, both the HCL and HBr. I've eaten it, insufflated it, and even freebase + vaporized it; oral ingestion is by far the best RoA for 2C-B in my opinion – snorting it hurts like fucking crazy, even the hydrobromide salt… and vaporizing it induces way more anxiety in me than simply orally consuming it.

βOH-2C-B is okay; I mostly agree with @Buzz Lightbeer that it's kinda lackluster compared to other compounds, but it's not without its own charms. It's a creeper; comes on more slowly than 2C-B or 2C-B-FLY, even. sometimes, I forget I've taken βOH-2C-B (or “BOHB” if you prefer, rhymes with “robe”), and ~4h. later I'm in the middle of something wondering why my thoughts are all fucked up… oh yeah, the beta-hydroxy-bromo-mescaline… And then that shit lasts forever, but I've never not enjoyed it. Despite all of this, it's the least impressive of the three compounds in question here, and the least potent mg for mg.

2C-B-FLY is absolutely worth researching and exploring. Its effects are also long-lasting and the come-up is slow. Compared to 2C-B, 2C-B-FLY is a lot less mellow. It carries more body-load for sure, and I find it's best to have physical activity to channel that into. Fortunately, it has a similar sexual-enhancing profile to the parent compound, 2C-B. Honestly, all of these compounds make for wonderful aphrodisiacs, though they're not as aggressive about it as, say, 5-MeO-DiPT, in my opinion.

What's interesting about 2C-B-FLY is that the two methoxy groups extending from the 2- and 5-position of 2C-B's benzene ring are fused into furan rings, so it produces a 2,5-difuran compound instead of a 2,5-dimethoxy. Physically speaking, 2C-B's dimethoxy setup is not as conformationally rigid as 2C-B-FLY's difuran ring setup. Think of it like the 2,5-dimethoxy molecules sort of flail about like a tube sock man, the brain flushes it out sooner because of this physical property. Hence the shorter duration of 2C-B compared to 2C-B-FLY, which tends to get sort of “wedged” into place with the receptor. This is also the reason 2C-B-FLY is more potent than its parent compound, 2C-B:

For reference, here's 2C-B. Aka 2,5-dimethoxy-4-bromophenethylamine.
Note the flailing tube sock man methoxy groups at 2 and 5.
They are physically flexible a bit so they don't bind particularly rigidly at the receptor sites:

2C-B

And this next one is 2C-B-FLY.
See how those oxygen molecules are held firmly in place by the ring structure?
It causes the molecule to linger at its locations of activity,
and it causes it to be more potent as well:
2C-B-FLY

So whereas I might take: 60 mg of βOH-2C-B,
and I might take: 20 mg of 2C-B,
I only need about 12 mg of 2C-B-FLY.
Lotta bang for your buck there.

Last edited:
2C-B-fly is an excellent drug, it's similar in some ways to 2C-B, but t's more rolly and lasts a lot longer, and is less psychedelic. it's a pretty great substance, comfortable, and totally worthwhile.

The others, I haven't been impressed with. bk-2C-B is garbage IMO, very inconsistent and not very good when it's "good". BOHB is apparently what bk-2C-B metabolizes into, so it's more consistent and more potent, but I still didn't care for it. I have heard some positive reviews though. I have some, but have only tried it once so far because I didn't find it really worth the time. 2C-B-fly is way better. That one is absolutely worth pursuing.

Thank you to everyone for the responses. Sounds like Bk-2CB is almost universally bad but 2C-B-FLY can be a mediocre or excellent experience depending on the person. I'm going to acquire some of the latter and write some trip reports once I've tried it.

I tried 2c-b-fly before I tried 2c-b. I think they are very similar, just fly lasts a lot longer. If you enjoy 2c-b, definitely give it a go.

2C-B-fly is much less visual than 2C-B and less "sharp". I find it more euphoric though and more easygoing. That said, it may be that at higher dosages, 2C-B-fly becomes visual. I have tried it up to 20mg and found it almost entirely lacking in the visuals department.

Thank you to everyone for the responses. Sounds like Bk-2CB is almost universally bad but 2C-B-FLY can be a mediocre or excellent experience depending on the person. I'm going to acquire some of the latter and write some trip reports once I've tried it.
Worth noting here: βOH-2C-B and βK-2C-B are two slightly different compounds. Both are 2C-B with an oxygen moiety on the beta position, but the former has a hydroxyl bond, whilst the latter is a ketone and thus features a double-bonded oxygen as all ketones do. I've read that βOH-2C-B is a metabolite of βK-2C-B.

In a very similar manner, ephedrine and methcathinone share the same relationship in that ephedrine bears a beta-hydroxy bond and methcathinone has a double-bond oxygen on its beta position.

2C-B-fly is much less visual than 2C-B and less "sharp". I find it more euphoric though and more easygoing. That said, it may be that at higher dosages, 2C-B-fly becomes visual. I have tried it up to 20mg and found it almost entirely lacking in the visuals department.
Ann Shulgin considered it her favourite compound but noted that different individuals seem to have varying levels of enjoyment with it. Guess the only way to know if I like it is to acquire some and try it.

Sounds like Bk-2CB is almost universally bad
It isn’t a “bad” drug at all, though. Just maybe not as interesting as its nearby cousins, and anyway you may have a different experience all the same. I wouldn’t encourage you to avoid βOH-2C-B and/or βK-2C-B.

But if you have to choose, 2C-B-FLY is a better option than either of them, and I like the original 2C-B best. For me, 2C-B-FLY becomes uncomfortable at higher doses w/the excessive body load, and contrary to the experiences of @Xorkoth I find 2C-B-FLY to be visually arresting with CEVs reminiscent of 2C-B and OEVs that remind me of Mescaline. I would overall give 2C-B-FLY at least 7/10, maybe 8 if you don’t mind the longer duration and onset.

2C-B-fly is much less visual than 2C-B and less "sharp". I find it more euphoric though and more easygoing.
Really? … It’s the opposite for me. In my experience, 2C-B is one of the mellowest psychedelics I’ve ever taken, along with Colour (4-HO-MET) and ETH-LAD. I always orally consume it now after a bad insufflation experience, and the 2C-B comes on slowly over the course of two to three hours while I hardly even notice it. Then I turn around and I’m like holy balls I’m tripping face right now and I feel euphoric AF. After another ~3 hrs, it fades out and leaves me with no hangover, and plus I retain an appetite the entire time I’m on the drug. It’s amazeballs how chill 2C-B is.

Meanwhile 2C-B-FLY takes just as long to come on if not longer, and it stays around seemingly forever compared to 2C-B. The FLY version is also stronger in terms of body load, discomfort, nausea (just a bit), and it definitely can lead to a panicky head state for new trippers I imagine. There are entactogenic elements that it shares w/ its parent compound, but it’s otherwise a much heavier and more potent phenethylamine, both qualitatively and in terms of mg for mg… for me, at least.

I wonder why this discrepancy in experience? Odd.

Ann Shulgin considered it her favourite compound but noted that different individuals seem to have varying levels of enjoyment with it. Guess the only way to know if I like it is to acquire some and try it.
Yeah 2C-B-FLY seems to be a bit of a fickle goddess drug, blessing some and punishing or failing to impress others. This property reminds me of TMA-2 in that manner. And this could perhaps explain why @Xorkoth and I have had such different experiences. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I tripped surprisingly hard on 15mg (?) 2C-B-FLY once, the bodyload was pretty uncomfortable but I also never really fully "got" in the experience.

Then I turn around and I’m like holy balls I’m tripping face right now and I feel euphoric AF.
=D exactly

2C-B has that wow factor that I don't see in 2C-B-FLY. Wow factor is always a consideration.

Meanwhile 2C-B-FLY takes just as long to come on if not longer, and it stays around seemingly forever compared to 2C-B. The FLY version is also stronger in terms of body load, discomfort, nausea (just a bit), and it definitely can lead to a panicky head state for new trippers I imagine. There are entactogenic elements that it shares w/ its parent compound, but it’s otherwise a much heavier and more potent phenethylamine, both qualitatively and in terms of mg for mg… for me, at least.

I wonder why this discrepancy in experience? Odd.

For me, 2C-B comes on quick and hits me hard, sometimes I even get a bit of anxiety from it. I find it very visual, moreso than most substances. Whereas 2C-B-fly comes on slow and is more subtle. I do find there is a body component that is not present with 2C-B, which a couple of times has been kind of uncomfortable, but other times it's been lovely. I have never felt as off-guard from 2C-B-fly as I have from 2C-B though. I find 2C-B more psychedelic for sure.

But yeah there seems to be quite a variation in effects between individuals for 2C-B-fly. And 2C-B for that matter.

2cbfly definitely is. Can't speak on the other one.

I tripped surprisingly hard on 15mg (?) 2C-B-FLY once, the bodyload was pretty uncomfortable but I also never really fully "got" in the experience.
I've found luck in suppressing the body load without sacrificing the trip by smoking cannabis with it and doing just key bumps of ketamine.

I also have very good sources, and I do think quality makes a big difference. Seems like a no brainer, but I was arguing in another thread where some people seem not to believe in consistent, qualitative differences between batches of acid. Or like when I first tried MXE, my first source for it was not so solid back then, and it was either low quality stuff or a different disso altogether. It wrecked my world, but I couldn't understand why people kept raving on and on about it. I mean, ridiculously, to the point that I sought a new source and upon trying that batch I was like Good God, man; this some spicy shit here and I suddenly understood what I had been missing. That MXE was so fucking good.

2C-B has that wow factor that I don't see in 2C-B-FLY. Wow factor is always a consideration.
Agreed. I still have plenty of both drugs, actually, and was thinking of perhaps trying a combination of the two, but my hesitation comes from the fact that it's possible 2C-B-FLY acts as an MAOI, specifically like a RIMA, so it's prudent to titrate up the safety latter for this endeavor. And thoughts?
Did you like TMA-2?
Yeah I did, except, as noted, the fickle nature of it made it seem inconsistent. However, once I actually stuck a straw in the wrong bag (I was much younger back when I did this), and hoovered up God knows how much TMA-2 accidentally. I was with good friends who tripsat me through it the whole backyard where I was staying melted into synchronized dancing insectoid creatures. They were like grasshopper elves when I looked at blades of grass, all of them in perfect lockstep with each other and when my sight followed them along a pattern and up a tree, they morphed into wood gnomes with knobby limbs and they continued to dance, everything bursting into insectoid dance for hours. It was very intense, but also quite lovely.

The chemistry to that motherfucker from Calamus oil is a lot more challenging than one might anticipate, especially considering how there are two enantiomers of the asarone you want from Calamus oil, but you only want one of them specifically. Also, the yields from reducing the phenylacetone are terrible. Lessons learned the hard way…

On the other hand, DMMDA-2 (and its n-methyl derivative which had very little worthwhile activity, btw) were comparatively easier to get to, but the yields still weren't as good as taking Safrole all the way to MDA and especially to MDMA, the synthetic methods there being high-yielding and rendering a very pure product.

Agreed. I still have plenty of both drugs, actually, and was thinking of perhaps trying a combination of the two, but my hesitation comes from the fact that it's possible 2C-B-FLY acts as an MAOI, specifically like a RIMA, so it's prudent to titrate up the safety latter for this endeavor. And thoughts?
There's plenty of trip reports on Erowid of people combining 2C-B-FLY with 2C-B, MDMA, Amphetamine, etc. If there is any MAOI activity I don't think it's enough to worry about.

On the other hand, DMMDA-2 (and its n-methyl derivative which had very little worthwhile activity, btw) were comparatively easier to get to, but the yields still weren't as good as taking Safrole all the way to MDA and especially to MDMA, the synthetic methods there being high-yielding and rendering a very pure product.
Wow, how did you like the DMMDA-2/DMMDMA-2?

Interesting, PIHKAL has very few notes. Just one "report", at 50mg: "I like it, it is very much like MDA"