Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Anyone worked in USA?

jobe28

Bluelighter
Hey. I really wanna go visit the USA for a while (ultimately id like to immigrate there). I dont have any money though really, so I was thinking I might be able to get a job over there. Ive heard anyone without qualifications or anything can get an agricultural job over there. Id really like to get a job in colorado (I want to try using cbd to treat my schizophrenia)

I'm pretty sure they've scrapped the J-Visa scheme there which has made it harder for oz/kiwis to work in the US.
Many countries in the EU have a special visa for seasonal work so it may be the same in the states.
I would say being an unskilled agricultural worker in the states would be pretty abysmal. you will be working with mostly mexis and other latin american folks and the pay will be shit and the hours long.

Other options are a skilled migrant visa or going in the green card lottery ( a friend of mine got one this way).
Colorado is a big snow sports state so I would look into pathways for working in a ski resort, like I said the many kiwis and ozzies who do snow seasons previously managed to work through the J-Visa scheme. I'm a resident so I never had to worry about visas and such.
This would be a far better environment than pulling turnips in some toxic field.

Basically anyone could an ag job in colorado, yes. You wouldn't be limited to colorado tho for CBD, as it isn't a controlled drug anywhere in the country that I am aware of!

Basically anyone could an ag job in colorado, yes. You wouldn't be limited to colorado tho for CBD, as it isn't a controlled drug anywhere in the country that I am aware of!
Well you can buy CBD itself here in Australia I think. But my plan was to buy cannabis thats high in CBD. Its the only affordable way to get the amount of CBD I need.

Ah, I see. Hopefully when the weed here is sold over the counter on Jan. 1st it will be rather low price, definitely far lower than you pay for your weed in Aus.

As for agricultural positions, your best bet for higher pay would be to be hired by one of the outfits that come in and do the harvests. We get a lot of South Africans who do this. I live on a farm now in Colorado so the source of this is actually me.

Best of luck!

Easiest way to get a temp job there is through student exchange however you obviously need to be or have recently studied a course in Australia first. And you can only work for 3-6 months max.

Mate minimum wage in us is like 7 dollars a hour. Gives working poor a new meaning. Unless u have a trade or profession/ qualification USA is a terrible place to live compared to Australia. I have family there and their economy is down the toilet. A lot tougher than here to get by

Hey. I really wanna go visit the USA for a while (ultimately id like to immigrate there). I dont have any money though really, so I was thinking I might be able to get a job over there. Ive heard anyone without qualifications or anything can get an agricultural job over there. Id really like to get a job in colorado (I want to try using cbd to treat my schizophrenia)

Maybe the UK might be a better bet than America?

I live in London now (originally from Aus), and I think moving to the UK was the best decision I ever made, it's completely transformed my life.There is so much opportunity here, London is such an interesting place to live.

I'm sure you could get what you need here (the CBD thing), but crucially it's also perhaps a bit of a safer bet if you have schizophrenia. The lack of availability of healthcare in the US might become something of a challenge, in fact I'd personally find it frightening. England is a pretty friendly place, it's really interesting. You can work and earn money here and treat London as a base to travel to Europe as it's so close and so cheap to get here. There is work around for those willing to work hard (you don't need an RSA to work behind a bar here, for example, and Aussies are well liked).

America can be a bit of a struggle if you are on minimum wage, you might find it a bit grim as you would probably be working a lot with people who speak Spanish primarily. Whereas if you were doing minimum wage work in London you'd be primarily with people who speak English, you would have access to a universal healthcare system. Overall, I think better

You need to have a special Visa and be qualified for that which is very difficult.
Someone in USA must vouch for you, very formally and this can take a long time.
Don´t go illegally that´s your worst nightmare if you do.
Why do you think it´s gonna be better? It´s not!!

I'm pretty sure they've scrapped the J-Visa scheme there which has made it harder for oz/kiwis to work in the US.
Many countries in the EU have a special visa for seasonal work so it may be the same in the states.
I would say being an unskilled agricultural worker in the states would be pretty abysmal. you will be working with mostly mexis and other latin american folks and the pay will be shit and the hours long.

Other options are a skilled migrant visa or going in the green card lottery ( a friend of mine got one this way).
Colorado is a big snow sports state so I would look into pathways for working in a ski resort, like I said the many kiwis and ozzies who do snow seasons previously managed to work through the J-Visa scheme. I'm a resident so I never had to worry about visas and such.
This would be a far better environment than pulling turnips in some toxic field.

This and much more!! (Or Alaska for that matter)

Last edited:
If the OP wants a change of scenery why not try going to New Zealand. It's easy as if you want to work there as an Aussie and it could be the fresh start he/she is looking for.

Heaps cheaper to get there too