• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Anyone into Roguelike / Turn-Based Games?

birdup.snaildown

Greenlighter
I came across Roguelike games because I got sick of mainstream AAA titles and (at the same time) equally sick of games that posed little challenge to a veteran. They scratched both itches.

At the moment I'm playing Hades because it got rave reviews, but it doesn't live up to Enter the Gungeon (which it resembles the most) or Into the Breach or The Binding of Isaac.

I've moved into turn-based Roguelikes. Before Hades, I played:

Tharsis: a hellish turn-based dice game that revolves around an infinite number of failed attempts to reach Mars.

Nowhere Prophet: a deck builder that I loved but it frustrated me because it was too plot-driven.

Slay the Spire: addictive and polished but ultimately uninspired.

Like Hades, Slay the Spire doesn't take chances. They are run-of-the-mill roguelikes. Hades is basically Wizard of Legend. Slay the Spire is every deck builder crossed with every roguelike.

Overland was an amazing turn-based roguelite, if anyone cares.

Any recommendations in this world that I haven't mentioned?

I should point out that I don't like plots in video games. I like indie games. The more minimalistic and experimental the better. (Baba is You was a masterpiece.)

I like Hades, but it's old hat. I like it because it's super polished, but that makes me feel like I'm being manipulated. I like video games best when they engage me organically. I've never been fond of games that don't require effort and, instead, rely on show.

Anyone played any of the games I've mentioned... or want to rant about their own experiences with these genres?

Games like Hades and The Binding of Isaac definitely benefit from a healthy dose of stimulants.

Few games don't really.

As for being naked, as long as you're not playing online with some random kid (in which case it's a bit creepy) I say go for it.

Oh you mean a dungeon crawler.

"Roguelike", that game is 41 years old. I thought you meant a game where you have to sneak around :D MF what idiot thought of calling that "roguelike"? We don't call every RPG "DnD-like" or every mmorpg "Neverwinter Nights-like", fucking morons srsly

Well DnD is the best.
Diablo 1 is kind of roguelike but ofc real-time

Diablo is way too easy and there is no permadeath.
It doesn't tick many of the Roguelike boxes.

I realize it's a weird genre, but it's not just games like Rogue.
Many games that are Roguelike are not like Rogue at all.
It is a distinct genre, but there is also a lot of diversity within.

Hades and Into The Breach and The Binding of Isaac are dungeon crawlers.
I'm more looking for weird experimental roguelike games like Overland and Tharsis.

i played moria on the vax at college :)

took me over a year but i finally beat the balrog.

alasdair