Anyone into classical music?

I love nearly all classical music, with the exception of atonal music, which I want to be able to appreciate but just can't understand despite plenty of listening attempts.

...EDIT: was gonna say asian chick at 3:30 looks depressed a hell.
But...she plays, I guess.

Lea36 said:
I love nearly all classical music, with the exception of atonal music, which I want to be able to appreciate but just can't understand despite plenty of listening attempts.

After years of music theory classes and hanging out with musicians/composers/etc, I've heard similar statements pretty frequently...that people unfortunately just don't "understand" atonal or avant-garde classical music. There seems to be an idea that atonal music is often based off of rather high-brow theorizing, and that it must be intellectualized or understood to be appreciated. I've generally found the opposite to be true...the less I try to understand atonal composition, the more it relates to me on a personal level. John Cage used to discuss the ideas behind his works, and it is often mentioned that his agenda was "to let the sounds be themselves"...it's very unintellectual almost in a way, much more personal than academic. I don't think there's anything to "understand" about atonal classical music (in a way that would be different to how people relate to more conventional/harmonious styles of writing)...I've usually found it's simply a personal preference. Either one relates to aspects of dissonance, chaos, chance, disorder, etc on a personal level or they don't.

And also, I really think it's cool to see a couple John Tavener videos on here! He probably has my favorite choral works of any composer. Whenever I've engaged in trips that have become extremely dark in nature (generally to the point of contemplating suicidal thoughts), I often find myself immediately putting on Tavener pieces to bring me back to a more beauty-oriented mental state. It was a shame to hear about his passing recently....his music really has saved me from some pretty dark times, and brought a great sense of spiritual intimacy regarding the nature of harmony/order/minimalism/etc (at times, the opposing aspects of atonality...giving me a much more holistic understanding of composition). I find myself especially drawn to "Funeral Ikos" when I've gone too far head-first into chaos and need something to pull me back.

Adagio for Strings is one of my favourite classical songs. The Tiesto version is a wicked tech music tune - I get excited when it comes on at dance parties and clubs.

Tiesto sell out

I need a time machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The works of Penderecki are beautifully rendered in both of the best films of Stanley Kubrick: 2001, A Space Odyssey and The Shining. Atonal music at its best :) (Wendy Carlos not to be missed too).

I like to listen to Frank Sinatra when i'm driving a car and rap when i'm a passenger/at home. Kindof a weird mixture of music i like.

I love classical Andalusian style guitar adaptation of baroque music.
If you haven't listened to Andres Segovia or John Williams something is wrong.

Some John Williams:

I can play it so-so on guitar. My Dad however is very good at classical guitar & can do it perfectly. That's the only reason I learnt it really... I just play electric & acoustic really.

Isao Tomita

Separate post so I can fit another 2 videos in :D

I posted this in EADD yesterday as it happens... my favourite all time composer would have to be Claude Debussy. I heard a lot of Debussy around the house whilst I was very young. However, not always in it's original form... my Dad had cassettes of Isao Tomita's synthesizer variations of both Debussy & Holst:

Very haunting but beautiful too.

I love classical music.Even though I play Black metal/Death metal I often incorporate classical violin techniques into my guitar playing.Not that I'm the first to do that by any means but I love the neo-classical,horror movie sound track feel it imparts to my music.I juat play it at a thousand miles an hour.

Shulgin was I know there is mention of listening to it in Tihkal & Pihkal.

That being said I enjoy it but very casually don't know much at all probably could only name you Philip Glass stuff like titles of his works otherwise I like to explore randomly and listen to the local classical station.