• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anyone here who can recommend taking Antidepressants like Lexapro?

Byzek

Bluelighter
I have these little white pills since 2 years under my bed and from time to time I take them for very very short periods of time, mostly if I dont have 5-htp right now and I want to experiment how my mood changes.

I stop taking them usually after 3-4 days, mostly because of this foggy head which I dont like at all. And Im scared of getting addicted to them.

My number 1 antidepressant is 5-htp and sometimes I combine that with methylphenidate for energy and motivation boost.

Well 5-htp is great for anxiety, in fact it works lil bit like xtc for me and in combination with methylphenidate its really nice better that any drug I would say because no rebound or so.

Actually I get sometimes maniac and throwing out money or forgetting all problems but thats because Im taking a high dose.

But Im doing breaks of methylphenidate because I noticed that the tolerance gets up quite fast so Im doing a cycle of 2-3 Weeks on and 2-4 weeks off, but this since one year or so.

Right now Im also doing a 1-week break of 5-htp due and I noticed that I need it because I get sad and a very pessimistic person which I dont like and which I havent been since 2 or 3 years.

But im not sure.

What I actually expect of lexapro is that what I expect from methylphenidate namely and 5-htp a drive to do things and decreased anxiety.

I have more problems with drive than anxiety.

I guess an SSRI is more efficient because I have a steady state sero level and 5-htp is more up and down ?

On the other hand I realized that Antidepressants are just things which can build a bridge but when I dont change something it does not matter which kind of pills Im taking ?

I know why I have so called "depression" namely because of my state of doing NOTHING (no job, no school and so on) but I am not sure if a pill will chang that and I guess Im expecting that.

Have you tried non drug related ways for depression? The efficacy of SSRI is low and there is a large placebo effect.

Also, 5-HTP can be dangerous, you shouldn't be combining it with methylphenidate. And please never combine it with an SSRI. This can very easily lead to serotonin syndrome. 5-htp is very well known to cause SS when combined with other serotonergic medication.

Some people do need medication for depression, but natural ways are often more effective and safer. I can guarantee you that pushing yourself to get out of the house, accomplish things and exercise will do a hell of a lot more than messing around with these meds and 5-HTP. They can help in conjunction, but are not a magic cure.

Last edited: