• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Anyone have experience with Requip or Mirapex for RLS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

systemicTN

Bluelighter
I recently kicked opiates about 11 days ago and I'm still having some fucking terrible Restless Leg Syndrome. I took valium for first 8 days and I got by, now (as per my primary care physician's request) I've stopped taking them and it's leaving me practically sleepless because I'm trying to stretch/move/scrub my legs all night. Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised I'm having RLS again, this happens every time I kick opiates and usually lasts anywhere from a month to a year or so.

I do find exercise and elevating my feet several hours before bed helps, but it just lessens it- that 'feeling' is still very much present. I've been reading the boards and there are still a few OTC solutions haven't tried yet; Kava, Iron, Zinc, and Magnesium Citrate supplements. All the others I'm pretty sure I've tried without any success. I'm certainly gonna check these out, but I've already got an appointment to see my doc again in two days and I was gonna ask him what he thought about Requip or Mirapex (since it's Rx'd it seems reasonable to assume it would work better than any OTC remedy) but you experienced BL's are so much more knowledgeable about this stuff than 90% of the doctors out there, I figured I'd just ask those who know.

Also, it seems to me that there are two types of RLS; those who just naturally have it, and those of us who beat ourselves up with dope until we do, so if you have used either any of these drugs or supplements to remedy RLS, please post whether your symptoms appeared after kicking dope or if it was completely unrelated.

So how about it, any of you crazy folks got any experiences with any of these?

requip/mirapex is a dopamine agonist:

ropinirole acts as an agonist at the D2 and D3 dopamine receptor subtypes, binding with higher affinity to D3 than to D2 or D4. it has negligible effect on D1-receptors. it has medium in vitro affinity to opioid receptors. ropinirole is said to have virtually no affinity to 5-HT1, 5-HT2, benzodiazepine, GABA, muscarinic, α1-, α2-, and β-adrenoreceptors.

basically this drug would have no effect on opiate withdrawals symptoms and would probably make it worse if anything.

be aware of the tolerance and tolerance/withdrawal effect of some direct dopamine agonists. requip shows the same effect as benzos do, except it's known to do it quicker and in a worse way. people who take a lot of requip find themselves having to increase the dose just to keep the same effects, and if they don't start dosing in the morning, their RLS gets worse, and then eventually they're dosing throughout the day.

in addition, commercialized dopamine agonist [frequently prescribed for parkinsons] are completely useless recreationally or as potentiators, and they are very likely to make you puke.

pinpoint said:
basically this drug would have no effect on opiate withdrawals symptoms and would probably make it worse if anything.

I should have mentioned that I have no RLS during the day now, only the first 5 or 6 days is it constant. Now I only feel it at night when I lay down to sleep. So I'm not talking full blown WD RLS here.

Quote:
ropinirole acts as an agonist at the D2 and D3 dopamine receptor subtypes, binding with higher affinity to D3 than to D2 or D4. it has negligible effect on D1-receptors. it has medium in vitro affinity to opioid receptors. ropinirole is said to have virtually no affinity to 5-HT1, 5-HT2, benzodiazepine, GABA, muscarinic, α1-, α2-, and β-adrenoreceptors.

And I thought I knew my drug chemistry 8o I'll admit the biochem is a little over my head, (and I took two semesters of college chem lol) can you break that down?

Watch out for the compulsive gambling side-effect (one of the more hilarious side-effects of any drug, in my opinion)! I wonder if it could make someone more prone to stimulant abuse...

Do not take this drug for withdrawal related RLS! It will likely make you feel worse.

Relatively intense anaerobic exercise works well for opioid related withdrawal.

There is evidence that dopamine agonists are actually addictive for those who have previously been addicted to stimulants.

Has anyone here tried either of these DA agonists, with or without a history of stimulant abuse?

I'd be interested in hearing from you.

negrogesic said:
Do not take this drug for withdrawal related RLS! It will likely make you feel worse.

You saying this from experience, intelligence or wisdom? Not that it matters really, I've read enough of your posts to know when you chime in it's on the money...just curious I suppose.

negrogesic said:
Relatively intense anaerobic exercise works well for opioid related withdrawal.

I used to run a lot, like four or five miles and that would definitely help, kind of changes the RLS into regular muscle soreness. I imagine I'd be able to go about an 1/4th of a mile before falling over now.

I read earlier on an RLS board that elevating your feet several hours before bed can help quite a bit too, apparently RLS has to do with blood circulation somehow? idk. I'm gonna try it tonight though.

Have you ever tried taking Kava, Iron, Zinc, or Magnesium Citrate supplements or see any reason why they would help? If I were to guess, I would say potassium would help more than anything, but then again...my chemistry...not so strong. :(

systemicTN said:
You saying this from experience, intelligence or wisdom? Not that it matters really, I've read enough of your posts to know when you chime in it's on the money...just curious I suppose.

as said, it is a dopamine agonist, so if you've done a little college chem you'd know that this is a no-no while in opioid withdrawal.

I've tried dopamine agonists for RLS and at the best, it stayed the same. Only thing that has taken away my RLS has been those pesky opiates. Good luck.

but you experienced BL's are so much more knowledgeable about this stuff than 90% of the doctors out there, I figured I'd just ask those who know.

i really disagree prob 20% at most

calling a bunch of people on the internet with wikipedia smarter then 9 out of 10 MD doctors is a joke.

I'm not saying MD's are stupid, they just don't have the 'hands on' experience of illicit drugs like some of the posters here do.

And obviously, some posters do CTRL+C wikipedia and those are clearly not who I'm referring to as 'highly regarded' members and mods.

As far as drug dependency, addiction, even what drugs are out there, etc... I've seen a so many doctors who have absolutely no idea where to begin. What i mean is, how do you explain 'the pull' that heroin has on a junkie to someone who's never done heroin? You can say it's 'really really strong' but that doesn't even begin to fathom the idea of heroin addiction. There are just some things that can't be taught in books.
Maybe 90% is high, but the point I was trying to make is that there are a handful of posters on this site with thousands of posts who are so personally invested in the knowledge of illegal drugs and the lifestyle (most of them learning from personal experience rather than a textbook) that their knowledge is so much more applicable. They may have no idea how to do an appendectomy, but they can tell you what OTC's to get when you're going through WD's. Go ask an MD, he'll tell you to take 1 trazadone or clonodine every 12 hours for 2 days or maybe go to inpatient rehab. Ask an intelligent BL and they'll say liquid loperamide, aleve, fruit juice, valium and chicken noodle soup. I've seen so many doctors faces light up when I've told them that loperamide is a godsend to dopesick junkies. I'm just saying it's nice to have someone who's been there, rather than someone who's read about it sometimes. Sorry to get off topic, just wanted to clarify. =D

beta1 said:
I've tried dopamine agonists for RLS and at the best, it stayed the same. Only thing that has taken away my RLS has been those pesky opiates. Good luck.

I've seen that opiates are actually prescribed in some cases of RLS...I'm sure probably the ones on the weak end of the opiate scale but that kind of struck me as odd - I never thought of opiates ever being RX'd for anything like that. Reminds me of heroin cough syrup in the 20's... I'm not getting any ideas, I'm just saying. :)

I recently kicked opiates about 11 days ago and I'm still having some fucking terrible Restless Leg Syndrome. I took valium for first 8 days and I got by, now (as per my primary care physician's request) I've stopped taking them and it's leaving me practically sleepless because I'm trying to stretch/move/scrub my legs all night. Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised I'm having RLS again, this happens every time I kick opiates and usually lasts anywhere from a month to a year or so.

I do find exercise and elevating my feet several hours before bed helps, but it just lessens it- that 'feeling' is still very much present. I've been reading the boards and there are still a few OTC solutions haven't tried yet; Kava, Iron, Zinc, and Magnesium Citrate supplements. All the others I'm pretty sure I've tried without any success. I'm certainly gonna check these out, but I've already got an appointment to see my doc again in two days and I was gonna ask him what he thought about Requip or Mirapex (since it's Rx'd it seems reasonable to assume it would work better than any OTC remedy) but you experienced BL's are so much more knowledgeable about this stuff than 90% of the doctors out there, I figured I'd just ask those who know.

Also, it seems to me that there are two types of RLS; those who just naturally have it, and those of us who beat ourselves up with dope until we do, so if you have used either any of these drugs or supplements to remedy RLS, please post whether your symptoms appeared after kicking dope or if it was completely unrelated.

this makes me want to kill myself a year of suffering what can i do :( 8o

There is evidence that dopamine agonists are actually addictive for those who have previously been addicted to stimulants.

Has anyone here tried either of these DA agonists, with or without a history of stimulant abuse?

I'd be interested in hearing from you.
well i aint had stim addiction or even like any stims cause i ADHD

any advice pls i had worst pains last night of my life and believe me i had alot of pain i blame using G in the day but i taper down my benzos dose and its been at same dose for months now and still suffering

well i don't have a big opiate addiction i used H adn opiates heaps but i not addicted or anything i just use like 100mg of codeine or whatever i day to stop leg pains. But now its got so bad i using 400mg tramadol and 100mg codeine and i upped my benzo dose 8 times today and took heaps of gabapentin to help and aspirin as well. Plus calcium and Mg tablet and all these herbal products and creams on my legs.
any more adive

I take requip for rls. I got it once I quit taking aderall after I got out of highschool (along with narcolepsy, but who gives a damn) Since I started taking the requip, my rls is non existant, until I end up running out of pills. It happens just about every month. If I was rx'd medical mj, then I'd be fine, even just having some pot right now would help. All the time my legs ache like fuck, and I'm not even doing anything. SO my best advice is excercise, I excercise at least a lil everyday, and it makes the aches go away, but I still take the requip at night so my fiance doesnt have to deal with me kicking her lol

I saw a few trusted BLers say throughout this thread that taking the dopamine agonists during opiate withdrawal is a bad idea... can someone please explain why this is?

Thanks

Doesn't look like the last guy had any luck resurrecting this thread. Thought I'd try.

^^I have the same question^^ No one really explains why it's really not a good idea in this thread to take a dopamine agonist (Requip in my case) in opiate withdrawal. Those of us without the two semesters of chem would like to know.

U CAN TAKE REQUIP for your RLS from WD's....... It will work

Status
Not open for further replies.