• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Anyone else manage to survive the rave scene?

WarChild

Bluelighter
Hi All,

This is a silly post really, but:

Did anyone else survive the Melbourne rave scene of the mid to late nineties?

And if you did:

Can you let go of it???

Cause i sure as hell can't, and it is a PROBLEM. Anyone else have the problem of thinking too much about all the memories and craziness? And obviously the drugs too? I was supposed to grow up and out of it at some stage i think. I need to know if any others can relate to this feeling. All it takes is a smell, a song, a sentence, and i am right back there, and i feel very very empty all of a sudden.

Cheers

Not limited to one location but for sure, really miss the happy go lucky attitudes/ warehouses pumping with people not there to just get off chops but to dance hard and feel as one amongst the crowd. 3yrs i didn't touch alcohol nor drugs instead waging dance wars for 5/6hrs on end with 3 quick water stops from the toilet tap. Where piano/hardishbreaks/beats&happy lyrics/melodies brought a big smile to your face and u found yourself singing/humming along whilst the feeet glide and pound to the beat.... ahhhh my utopia...
If it ain't in a non club/warehouse then it ain't a rave but an event, good but not the same, shame the lil kiddies hurt their bodies/minds with drug saturation replacing dancing sessions with the occasional prance and majority of the time sitting on the sides gurning/touching away or just being wannabe hard cunts.
LOl
Spot the jaded one?... :!
Dancing up a storm at clubs ain't the same...way to stand out like a sore thumb.

It probably wouldn't help you to read this book:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/life/features/24275/ :)

There's a guy I work with, I wonder if you're him actually. He always talks about the old days, as a DJ and promoter in Melbourne, bringing out CJ Bolland blah blah blah. He's married with kids now so getting on drugs is a very, very rare thing for him but he does talk about it a lot and I think when he looks at those of us who still can go out and party there is a tinge of jealousy.

I'd imagine there are quite a few old-skoolers around who could help with your question. :)

Can I offer you a few thoughts.

1. Forget how good pills were of the 80's. Dose and purity will never be like that again.

2. The scene is starting to get sucky. Especially places like Sydney where a big event attracts yobbos that go out to fight people.

3. The pills suck now a days

4. How bad would the comedown be and how many days would it last now? :)

5. Oh, the pills suck.

The only thing that's better is the music. And now hardstyle is killing that. :p

BTW, I see 35+ year olds at raves all the time, they look about 45 or a bit older because of all the drugs. And probably permanent retina detachment from lasers.
Try going to a rave without pills, drugs, alcohol etc.. and look at the people around you. The scene would of changed a lot by now....... Acidhouse is no longer the preffered genre :p
There's ice-heads doing angry running man stomps to hardstyle thinking thats what the shuffle is, hardstyle is basically what commercial gabber used to be a decade ago, but somehow more boring with even worse samples.
Theres more drugged up underage people then Michael Jacksons ranch.
Is it REALLY a scene you wanna stay in?

I just hope hardstyle doesn't take over freeform/UK hardcore in Brisbane. Where there is still somewhat a scene, that seems to go up and down, with some friendly people still around and in it for the music alone.

Last edited:
I think you'll find a heap of 'rave veterans' around these parts - and while it can sometimes be hard to let go, you just have to listen to your body and mind - if you're hitting the party favours too hard then yes, it's time for a break, but if you're not, and you've decided to let go of the rave scene because other people (or societey) are telling you that you need to 'grow up'; if you enjoy it, and you're not messing yourself up every time you go, why stop going? :)

Personally, i think that same vibe is still going strong, the secret is just to go the smaller parties, not the super hyped 10,000 plus parties. I got into psytrance in 1995 in South Africa, and while now some party organizers have huge parties with mostly alcohol/ meth patrons, there are a load of smaller parties with the same vibe and beauty as back in the 90s.

Re desire to let go - why?????? if its something you love, keep doing it. I still meet a lot of people from Goa in the old days (50 - 70 years old), and they don't feel any desire to let go. I don't intend to - I wanna be the 70 year old still dancing and going strong, meeting amazing wonderful people from all over.

just look for the smaller parties - the vibe is still alive, and the global family is still strong =D

Sorry, this as nothing to do with the Auzzi scene about which I know zero, and I'm talking only about the psytrance scene, but i promise that original family party vibe is still going strong in SA and Thailand, and for sure in England. I'm sure Oz must have these too...

And Splatt, I have to disagree somewhat. Yes, there are people who look like death, but the parties I go to, the 50 and 60 year olds look great and can out-dance me any time (and then go and do serious yoga for a few hours) They're alert and intelligent and fascinating to talk to.

The beauty is still there - maybe just a little harder to find

Last edited:
War child

Maybe you could see if any of your favourite dj's from that era still play out. Or if there are any parties that cater to the crowd of yester year.

In brisbane there has been a few club nights that played old school choons all night. I didnt go to any of them but from what i heard they kicked ass.

Heh,

Being jaded is just one of the things that happens. The lack of euphoria and amass of wankers followed by dance music that lacks uplifting synths kills what the rave scene was about.

Schmangle,

Your words are inspiring!! I was a late starter to the Club/pil scene and have since moved overseas. I still seek those feelings of happiness when I do return to Oz (mainly Syd) and I just miss dancing!!

I went to an event (not sure if it could be called a rave) in Western Syd a few months ago where it was hard for me to spot anyone of my age (35), however a few times some kids asked "how old are you" I was only too happy to tell them, the nice thing though was the comment a couple of times that "yeah i I hope to be dancing strong when I'm 35 as well."

Regards,
S.

All I want is a 'happy' rave! A place where everybody is dancing and happy and on ecstasy....

....that sounded a lot gayer than I wanted it to

Hehe, my solution is, join the Psy Trance community in melbs. We got people from 15 - 50 going nuts togather. Teehee!

choppedmess said:
War child

Maybe you could see if any of your favourite dj's from that era still play out. Or if there are any parties that cater to the crowd of yester year.

In brisbane there has been a few club nights that played old school choons all night. I didnt go to any of them but from what i heard they kicked ass.

I know a guy who has something in the works for Melbourne... keep an eye on the local music press (Beat, Impress). I kinda just missed the 90s rave scene (was involved from 98 on) but I got the tail end of the good pills and the club scene when it was populated by people wanting to go out and have a great time DANCING, before dance music was played on commercial radio. Shit, I still remember Mansion in Melbourne. That and Dome. And shit, Tattoo was a headfuck. They were good times I guess. It all went to shit when DJing became the new rock star, but now I'm sounding like those old guys on Human Traffic %)
As far as surviving the scene, I know a lot of 30yr old people who are married with kids now and they pretty much just look back and remember the good times, since they are pretty much a chunk of youth that is well and truly left behind in the past and in memories. Sometimes it's best that way.

Schoville....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale..We Gonna Havta Fuk U Up Man

"It's basic
dog psychology,
brah.
If you scare them,
get them pissing down their leg,
they submit...
you control them.
If you project weakness, you draw aggression...
that's how people get hurt."

"Back off Warchild, seriously."

"THAT, WOULD BE A WASTE OF TIME!"

She's like the wind.

PEACE 5000 Clay
UnS
:)

Just use all that energy you used to on picking on the n00bs in Bluelight. It's much more fun, just ask Pleo.
:D

WarChild said:
Hi All,

This is a silly post really, but:

Did anyone else survive the Melbourne rave scene of the mid to late nineties?

And if you did:

Can you let go of it???

Cause i sure as hell can't, and it is a PROBLEM. Anyone else have the problem of thinking too much about all the memories and craziness? And obviously the drugs too? I was supposed to grow up and out of it at some stage i think. I need to know if any others can relate to this feeling. All it takes is a smell, a song, a sentence, and i am right back there, and i feel very very empty all of a sudden.

Cheers

dont feel empty OR alone. theres a handful of jaded exravers that feel the exact same way.

the melbourne rave scene when it first originated was an untouched beauty, one filled with secrecy, love and wonder; where we would retreat on weekends; then went about our jobs, lives etc. for the other 5 days of the week; and pretended it never happened, but would privately smile to ourselves at the amazing connections we had with other like minded people. there was no hatrid or violence. it was an untouched piece of purity available to those in search. beauty at its finest.

i was going to rattle on about how you move on in life and completely let go of old memories while creating new ones; but realised it was bullshit and thought "if they are still yearning for that, is it REALLY all that bad?" and my answer was no.

"be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind dont matter; and those who matter dont mind" - dr seuss

...kytnism...:|

WarChild said:
Anyone else have the problem of thinking too much about all the memories and craziness? And obviously the drugs too? I was supposed to grow up and out of it at some stage i think. I need to know if any others can relate to this feeling. All it takes is a smell, a song, a sentence, and i am right back there, and i feel very very empty all of a sudden.
Hell yes WarChild, I get those thoughts and feelings all the time! You're right, all it takes is a song, seeing someone from that era, or driving past an old venue etc.
But it doesn't make me sad/feel empty anymore. Instead, I feel happy and grateful that I got to experience something so special! Yeah sure it sucks that it will never be the same again but like I said, it's awesome that we were around in that space/moment in time. Life changes all the time, it's about making the most of what's happening right now, rather than mourning the past.
Also, the big "rave" parties are mostly shit these days, the crowds at them are even worse, and in general the drugs are so weak/full of nasty stuff, it ain't worth bothering :)
I will say this though, if you're after oldskool parties, there's an awesome bunch of people up in Sydney who put oldskool parties on regularly. The crowd mainly consists of oldies (28-50 year olds) relivin' the past and a few young'ns who are searching for that fabled lovey oldskool vibe that they've heard so much about =D
Check it out: http://www.stillbuggin.com

n3ophy7e said:
Hell yes WarChild, I get those thoughts and feelings all the time! You're right, all it takes is a song, seeing someone from that era, or driving past an old venue etc.
But it doesn't make me sad/feel empty anymore. Instead, I feel happy and grateful that I got to experience something so special! Yeah sure it sucks that it will never be the same again but like I said, it's awesome that we were around in that space/moment in time. Life changes all the time, it's about making the most of what's happening right now, rather than mourning the past.
Also, the big "rave" parties are mostly shit these days, the crowds at them are even worse, and in general the drugs are so weak/full of nasty stuff, it ain't worth bothering :)
I will say this though, if you're after oldskool parties, there's an awesome bunch of people up in Sydney who put oldskool parties on regularly. The crowd mainly consists of oldies (28-50 year olds) relivin' the past and a few young'ns who are searching for that fabled lovey oldskool vibe that they've heard so much about =D
Check it out: http://www.stillbuggin.com

shit dude, I was just about to post that link lol

good forum over there too, some real oldschool nutters :)