• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Any vegetarians out there?

Stephanie-stop being so damned conceited, let the man define himself as he sees fit.
My girlfriend has never eaten meat in her life and has been vegan for 20+ years. She was captain of her college soccer team and bikes over 30 miles 5-6 days a week to work. She's also incredibly smart (just got into a PhD program in systems biology at Berkley) and quite possibly the nicest person on the planet (her boyfriend is a complete ass though ;))
Spinach is a fantastic source of iron, as are most leafy green veggies. If you think otherwise, sorry, you're wrong.
carl lewis on being vegan
there is also dave scott, 6 time winner of the ironman, perhaps the most serious test of athleticism on the planet, a vegan. so why is veganism bad for athletes?

I believe in being freegan before vegan. By that I mean, if something is being thrown out and some animal had to die or have it's nipples yanked on to create that meal, I would rather see the calories used for something useful as opposed to fermenting in a landfill. Otherwise I don't eat no animal stuffs. And I'm getting a PhD as well, in biochemistry. I think being meat free makes me a little smarter, most likely placebo. And I can bike 100+ miles a day on a bike full of camping gear with no issues for days on end if I want.
An interesting note, Owsley, the famous LSD chemist, has the opposite beliefs as us. He believes in a vegetable free diet. He's still kicking at 60+ and is a mighty smart dude. To each his own and we should all learn a little more respect for each others choices (although most opinions are completely rediculous ;))

Last edited:
sorry if you think I was being conceited.
8(

Like I said I get tired of it not being clear and this is why I think I am really convinced that these definitions or "labels" as some people see them can really help make things clear for people. They are only labels as far as I can seeif you view them as a negative rather than as an opportunity to clearly explain ourselves to others. I hope you can see the positive that the shared understanding of exactly what people are talking about can bring then that is what I am trying to point out.
You can totally choose what you like to eat, no problem, just don't expect me to agree that one is better than another or that it is ok to call yourself something and live by something else. I call that hypocritical.
By the way freegan is good, I had a friend who was. They were vegetarian though so they used to only take free vegetable stuff. Definitely agree with the not wasting things that have died and therefore am always confused by people who eat meat but not offal, I myself would choose not killing them in the first place.

i've been vegan for 4 months now, vegetarian for about 30. feels awesome. just eat as much fruit and vegetables as possible, and supplement it with some soy and wheat gluten (otherwise known as seitan)