• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Any tips in regard to consuming fly agaric?

Burnt Offerings

Moderator: Drug Culture & CEP
Staff member
Amanita muscaria mushrooms grow wild around where I live, and was wondering if anyone here had any experience or advice in regards to the best way to prepare/consume these. I've been looking a bit at what erowid has but I thought I'd ask here too...from what I gather they're more of a dissociative/deliriant-type drug, which doesn't sound all that fun, but maybe it's worth a shot.

They're actually closer to a z-drug like ambien. You need to dry them out (not boil them) to convert the ibotenic acid to muscimol (which is better for your liver). I believe using heat is preferred but drying in the sun should do in a pinch.

Thanks. I'm drying the cap out but unfortunately sunshine is in short supply where I live...might try baking it at a low temp when I get a chance...?

Should I eat the whole cap or is it just the skin that has the psychoactive properties?

The way I prepare fly agaric, is to upend the caps (red side down) on foil lined baking trays, and heat overnight until crispy dry at the very lowest heat setting the oven is capable of maintaining.

Baste every so often with the juices that sweat out under the heat. I tend to scrape the gills off and discard as they contain a whole load of water, and will make drying without turning into a blob of nasty mush much easier to accomplish.

I take mine as tea, usually, sweetened with a bit of sugar (no milk, that would be revolting in fly agaric tea IMO) and get good results. An amazingly versatile mushroom, good as an endurance boosting tonic in lower doses, pain reliever, sleep aid, psychedelic, and it makes a wonderful spice for cooking meat dishes, I think of it as nature's own MSG in that respect =D

The curing treatment is essential though, fresh, raw mushroom will make you pretty ill, although the chances of fatality are next to zero.

Try it ground (sub-psychoactive doses I mean) into a powder, and use as a seasoning for steak, or added to chilli con carne, a bit of fly agaric turns a good steak into a truly wonderful one.

I have a little patch of Amanitas that grow right outside my home every year. It's weird, like this one little patch of about 5 mushrooms will come up in the same spot every year at the same time, right in the city, on the grassy area between a sidewalk and the curb, right by a tree. Beautiful things. I never pick 'em, just admire their beauty. I have picked them in the past, not the ones I just mentioned but from out in the woods. I never actually got anything out of them. I guess I dried them too little or something. A bunch of little bugs would usually crawl out from between the gills when I laid them out, a huge number of them. I ate two fresh once and didn't feel a thing. Maybe they weren't even real Fly Agarics. They were bright yellow rather than red but I think they do come out yellow sometimes. They had the white warts all over them. Actually I'm lucky I didn't poison myself. Never know what they could have been. I didn't get sick though, just felt nothing at all.

To fathom hell or soar barbaric, take a pinch of fly agaric?