• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Any knitters/crocheters on Bluelight?

They are so beautiful, ocean, and definitely look gorgeous on (as per n3o's photos <3)

So i taught myself the single crochet stitch last night, and have so far completed about 6 rows. I've dropped a couple of stitches and such, but i'm so proud of myself! After some more practice today, i'm going to try the double crochet stitch tonight, then triple, etc. :D

Update: I am almost finished my first scarf! It's totally wonky, i've dropped stitches, added stitches and dropped them again, so it starts quite wide and is not about 15 less stitches lol. In saying that, i've taught myself to change yarn and it looks really good, and i think i've kept it really even for the last 2 or 3 panels. I'll post a pic later. I'm making it for my niece who has just left Australia for the US on a student exchange program. I"m sending it over to her as she'll need it for the US winter (she'll probably just wear it indoors due to sheer daginess ;)). Next on the list is a scarf for my mum, and then one for Joannie_mhm <3

Okay, so here are the 3 pieces i've crocheted so far:

1st scarf for my niece (3mm hook, single crochet, with yarn-change) :

306700_10150272988637511_679907510_8377180_4980772_n.jpg

close up:

310484_10150272991707511_679907510_8377228_3240107_n.jpg

2nd piece for my mum (big wool, 5mm hook, single crochet, 30 chains across and VERY warm) :

293325_10150272988702511_679907510_8377182_872546_n.jpg

3rd scarf for Trancegirle's birthday (beautiful teal acrylice & mohair wool, 5mm hook, double crochet):

303915_10150272988397511_679907510_8377176_6425011_n.jpg

close up:

296655_10150272988507511_679907510_8377178_5339766_n.jpg

I can't begin to tell you all what starting to crochet has done for my life.

Last edited:
^First of all- AWESOME work! Your single crochet stitches are great!!! The scarves are beautiful! AMAZING job! You're making me wanna crochet right now :D
Second- as for your NSFW- This is a really wonderful release. Crocheting can be such a good way to create a positive out of a difficult situation. I really am glad I picked it up too. For me it helps with anxiety and keeps my mind empty of anything outside of what I'm doing when I need it to......I'm really proud of you for speaking out about that and though I don't want to push you, I feel people could really benefit from your experiences and advice in TDS. I understand if you don't want to post there but I think there are many many others just like you who could use a healthy release and someone who relates. <3
Xoxo

I am a complete yarn junkie. I taught myself to knit, and loom knit. My first love is to crochet. I love to crochet.. i crochet totally weird and random shit. Like a penis sweater.. I call it a Peter heater lol. I love to make mohawk hats and baby hats with kitty ears.. stuff like that.

Ocean: thank you hon, i am actually really proud of my achievement in re-learning.

^ That's the kind of thing i can't wait to be good enough to crochet :D I still have all of the baby blankets and baby clothes my grandmother crocheted for me, which when it's time, my baby will wear. They are still in such good condition and are so beautiful!

My nonna used to crochet lace and i have a 4m x 2m yarn cotton tablecloth that she crocheted. She was a very very gifted woman <3

Last night i started a triple-crochet scarf in the same teal yarn as trancegirle's. I have SO much left, i have to do other things with it :D

I had to teach myself how to crochet and I just couldn't learn from pictures and videos.. for some reason it just didn't process for me. Reading helped me a lot. Lionbrandyarncompany has really good written instructions. They do have pictures and stuff on their how tos for knitting and crocheting on their site but the written instruction is what got me going years ago.

Jeni

I was the opposite - i couldn't translate what i was producing to what i saw in pictures - the problem was I was 'yarning under' as opposed to "yarning over" lol. So i found a youtube website called "crochet geek" and teresa is brilliant. I've learned single, double, triple crochet so far, and want to now start looking at half-double, etc. It's exciting! :D

I think that now i have the basics down, i will find myself a good crochet book, and then i can teach myelf to read patterns, etc, as i want to really make clothes and try to eventually crochet lace like my nonna did. I will have a look at the Lionbrandyarncompany stuff too. Thanks for the tip :)

Okay, I haven't crocheted in a while and I have at least 6 more things I've made that I never took any pictures of, but here are a whole bunch (sorry if this is large, not behind NSFW links but let me know if they should be):

A blanket that never got totally finished, maybe one day...it's a few layers larger, has some more green and purple stripes, it's just a giant granny square really:
sxhquh.jpg

For a while I tried to get into making bracelets, but the thread and needle necessary were too small and hand cramping to be enjoyable:
zjy0xu.jpg

I made a crochet border for a picture frame I gave a friend who was moving far away, this is one of the flowers:
flag4h.jpg

And this is the finished product (it's glued onto a plain black wooden frame):
(I erased the actual picture portion for privacy)
5x8jeh.jpg

Just wanted to share after lurking in here for so long :)

Last edited:
GORGEOUS, purple cloud! I hope i can make lovely things like that, one day. I'm going to try a large granny square for a friend's baby- and have emailed them to ask what colours they'd like, as they are not traditional and i don't want to make the traditional girly pink baby blanket for Maitreya (their baby girl) <3

Very nice p_c !! :)
I made some flowers a while back and had a plan I think I'm going to follow through with later-
I'll post pics if I ever get around to making it.......

With the holidays coming up I began knitting again. Right now I am working on my first hat. I have only knitted scarves in the past, so I really wanted to try something new.

Here is the pattern I am using. NSFW for size.
NSFW:
Cast on 74 sts

Row one: K2, P2, K2 across line, ending with P2.

Rows 2 to row 6: Repeat Row 1.

Row 7: Knit across

Row 8: Purl across

Repeat these 2 rows until hat is 10" (25.5cm)from the start and, ending with a purl row.

Start Decrease

1st decrease row- K2 together across the row.

Next row: Purl

Next row: K2 together across

Last row: Purl across.

Cut a 12" (30cm)length of yarn, thread a yarn needle Carefully pull the last row of knitting from the needle and thread the needle through every stitch. Pull tightly then whip stitch the seam shut (source).

I have a question about row one (K2, P2, K2 across line, ending with P2.) Does it mean to continue alternating knitting 2 and purling 2 across the line, or does it mean to knit 2, purl 2, and then just knit across the line and then finishing the row with 2 purls?

Thanks.

It means to keep alternating across the row. That is your ribbing and it is a standard ribbing.
( This can be confusing the way they write it but if they didn't mean alternate they would write it like this: K2, P2, K across row to last two stitches, P2);)

Ohhhhh Tommyboy knits?!?!!
<3 to all men who knit!
I noticed in places like Norway, Sweden, Finland- guys knit- it's HOT!
We need photos of what you make TB!

It means to keep alternating across the row. That is your ribbing and it is a standard ribbing.
( This can be confusing the way they write it but if they didn't mean alternate they would write it like this: K2, P2, K across row to last two stitches, P2);)

Awesome. Thanks.
Ohhhhh Tommyboy knits?!?!!
<3 to all men who knit!
I noticed in places like Norway, Sweden, Finland- guys knit- it's HOT!
We need photos of what you make TB!

Yup. I'll be sure to post pics.

Tommyboy, could you post the needle size and yarn gauge so I can steal your pattern.I mean share your pattern;)

I found it through allfreeknitting.com, and it says:
US Size 10 (6mm) knitting needles
2 oz (50g) of bright colored worsted weight yarn or 8 ply

I'm using size 11 though because that's what I happen to have.

I do have another question though. When I start a new row, it will have the two purl stitches on that end. Do I reverse the pattern to purl 2, knit 2 so that I am purling on purls, knitting on knits? I have only knitted before, so this whole purling thing it new to me.
Edit: I think I got it...

Last edited:
I'm in the process of crocheting an EPIC blanket - it's much bigger than i originally planned (this is what happens when you don't use a pattern, lol) but i'm using this fantastic crazy wool (rainbow colours) and the effect is fantastic. I'll take a photo on the weekend of where i'm up to with it :)

^ I did that once but it turned out quite long and not very wide LOL. It was just so warm and cozy on my lap while I was knitting that I just kept going. I ended up taking it apart and reusing the yarn!

So I don't have circular needles for this hat that I am making, so I don't know how screwed I am. Have any of you successfully knitted a hat using straight needles, or know of someone who has? My other dilemma is that I am about to run out of yarn, so hopefully I can find something very close to the yarn I am using. I was given the yarn years ago from a friend of a friends while in college, so I can't exactly find out where they got it, or the size of it. I'm sure I can figure it out if I bring a sample with me.

Anyway, here is what I have so far. The pattern calls for starting the decrease once it reaches 10 inches, and right now I am at just over 6 inches. I spread out onto both needles for the pictures so you could see it flatter as opposed to all scrunched up.

So there you have it.... my attempt to knit a hat using straight needles. I think it should work, but won't be as smooth where I stitch it together.

I have a question about the decrease. Here is what the pattern says;
"Start Decrease
1st decrease row- K2 together across the row.
Next row: Purl
Next row: K2 together across
Last row: Purl across."

The videos I see on decreasing shows them doing it like every 8 stitches or so, yet this pattern just says K2 tog across the row, and to do that again after a row of purling. Could this pattern actually be for straight needles which may be the reason for the odd decrease? In the materials needed, it just says size 10 knitting needles, but idk, maybe it's a given that you need circular needles. BTW, I posted the pattern a few post back on post 72.

This is my first time knitting anything other then basic scarves. I never even knitted a pattern before, I had always just knitted across the whole time.

Last edited: