Any expat, digital nomads living abroad?

somnilicious

Bluelighter
Im vacationing in Medellin, Colombia, which is beautiful and just a very fun city. It's my 4th trip to Medellin in the last 6yrs. Everytime I come here. I dream of getting a remote job and moving here. It's basically my dream at this point.

I'm part Puerto Rican so I thought my Spanish was decent but my time spent here has proven that I'm not as fluent a speaker as I'd like and my hearing comprehension is even worse.

My questions:

Do you enjoy living abroad in an unfamiliar culture?

Do you feel safe or a target due to your foreign status?

Did your language comprehension skills improve rapidly due to the emersion?

What is it like dating in a foreign country? Colombia is especially dangerous for this because foreign men in Colombia are targeted on Tinder, dates and brothels to rob and even kill with the use of Devils Breath(aka Scopolamine). Apparently, once drugged the victim is completely left open to susceptibility and can be led around on command clearing out bank accounts and even helping deposes your own furniture into their hands. There having been quite a few murders as well.

Do you ever get homesick or wish you were around family more?

Lastly, how much monthly money could one possibly live comfortably in the foreign home of your choice?

Last edited:
not a nomad but medellin must be cool, what heroin is available there? and what else as for drugs? also accommodation and food how expensive is it? how much monthly to live normally?

Last edited:
not a nomad but medellin must be cool, what heroin is available there? and what else as for drugs? also accommodation and food how expensive is it? how much monthly to live normally?
I didn't really look for heroin. As far as I know heroin is only in the rougher barrios that I wouldn't dare venture into unless I was really on the hunt. Cocaine is about $2.50 a gram though.

The pot actually sucked, Lyrica and codeine over the counter.

They have this weird pink powder called tusi that was originally 2c-b but now it's a mix of LSD, MDMA, ketamine and cocaine. I actually thought I was gonna get stabbed in an alley trying to get weed when dude pulled out 4inch blade but it turns out he only wanted to use it to scoop out and snort this tusi junk.

Last edited:
Im vacationing in Medellin, Colombia, which is beautiful and just a very fun city. It's my 4th trip to Medellin in the last 6yrs. Everytime I come here. I dream of getting a remote job and moving here. It's basically my dream at this point.

I'm part Puerto Rican so I thought my Spanish was decent but my time spent here has proven that I'm not as fluent a speaker as I'd like and my hearing comprehension is even worse.

My questions:

Do you enjoy living abroad in an unfamiliar culture?

Do you feel safe or a target due to your foreign status?

Did your language comprehension skills improve rapidly due to the emersion?

What is it like dating in a foreign country? Colombia is especially dangerous for this because foreign men in Colombia are targeted on Tinder, dates and brothels to rob and even kill with the use of Devils Breath(aka Scopolamine). Apparently, once drugged the victim is completely left open to susceptibility and can be led around on command clearing out bank accounts and even helping deposes your own furniture into their hands. There having been quite a few murders as well.

Do you ever get homesick or wish you were around family more?

Lastly, how much monthly money could one possibly live comfortably in the foreign home of your choice?
I know this is an old thread but wanted to chime in. I just left Medellin after staying there for four months. Personally I don't like it too much anymore because it's been flooded with gringos and the worst types of tourists. The city is gentrifying rapidly. I also had issues being harassed by the police for no reason. And the weed there is contaminated.

was u part of affiliated scene or just a tourist buying sunglasses bc fuck me ahahha

I like yachts yes I saw them blah wbo cares

I'm sort of a digital nomad.. Although not quite living the full digital nomad life. I own property in 2 different countries and spend most of my time alternating between the two. However I spend 3 or 4 months every summer travelling to and exploring various parts of the world, so for a few months each year I go "full digital nomad".

To answer your questions:

- I absolutely love visiting new places and immersing myself in unfamiliar cultures.

- I've never felt unsafe anywhere yet, although I'm a pretty tall and well-built guy with street smarts and can handle myself well during altercations. I've trained various martial arts since my childhood and trained kickboxing since my teens, including lots of heavy sparring. If I didn't have those experiences then maybe I'd have felt less safe in some countries.

- I have no experiences with dating in foreign countries.

- I don't get homesick, however I'm only away from home for up to 4 months each year.

- Answers to your last question will vary drastically, based on which specific country you're in, whether you're getting paid in their local currency or the currency of a different country (or in my case, in cryptocurrency a lot of the time), what the exchange rates are like, and several other factors.
If I'm spending time in a country that has a much cheaper cost of living than my home countries, then I can live like a king, as my work allows me to fund a fairly great lifestyle even in my home countries despite them having a very high cost of living.

Last edited:
Medellin sucks now. Used to be good.

Now it is Overrun by dickhead gringos. Even the locals are fed up with the cunts and protesting.

20 or so have been murdered in the last 3 or 4 months.

Medellin sucks now. Used to be good.

Now it is Overrun by dickhead gringos. Even the locals are fed up with the cunts and protesting.

20 or so have been murdered in the last 3 or 4 months.
I first traveled to Medellin in 2019 and had a great time. In 2021, right after Covid lockdowns, it was noticeably worse but still enjoyable. And after being there in 2024, I would not want to return. Completely different energy due to foreigners ruining it, as well as locals getting more desperate financially so they are likely to scam you.