• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Any advice on how to make 4mg Dilaudid last longer?

FunctionlJnkieGal

Bluelighter
My friend just got switched over from Morphine 60mg tablets to Dilaudid 4mg. The daily dose of morphine was 30mg (half a pill) by night and up to 300mg on the weekend for fun. If one were to snort a 4mg line of D right before bed, they would wake up having mild withdrawal some hours after dosing. Is there anything that can be done to make the dillies last longer (Shooting it is out of the question, as there is no turning back once you hit the needle)? Snorting them is the only ROA that has given just the slightest relief. Any help is appreciated. It sucks that it wears off after just a few hours (if that). Honestly, the morphine seemed to work much better, given that you only have to swallow half a pill and you get a good night's rest. The BA of Dilaudid just plain sucks. Any advice on how to make the dillies stronger and/or last longer would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Truthfully, dilaudid is a very short acting opioid. Even in hospital they dose you every 3 hours on it. There isn't much you can do to make that last longer. I can see where that could be an issue while sleeping for sure. As you said , oral BA also sucks. And even if you were to IV them (and it's good you are avoiding starting the needle) they don't last any longer. They're more intense but not any longer.

Usually dilaudid is given like a breakthrough med, not meant to last longer. Can't the doctor prescribe an extended release like MS Contin (morphine extended release) for nighttime? I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle trying to make it through the night on dilaudid

Dilaudid has a very short half-life no matter how you take it. Switching from 60mg morphine (instant or extended release?) to 4mg Dilaudid is going to cause more up and downs no matter what. And if you're not taking it as prescribed it'll be even worse. Have you discussed this with your Doctor?

What im about to say is going to sound crazy, but hear me out. Crush up the Dilaudid and put into a small pot. Now here comes the crazy part....you urinate on the crushed pills in the pot. Simmer the mixture over heat for about 15 minutes. Let cool and drink. What happens is, there are organic chemicals in your urine ( I forgot what theyre called ) that mix with some of the binders in the pill and when heated causes a chemical reaction to the hydromorphone. That reaction causes your body to process the chemical slower, thus extending the effects.

Well Hydromorphone is just a very short acting opiate. If you think snorting it doesn't last long try IVing it :p . Actually don't do that lol. Also i am betting those Morphine pills are the suspended release ones which last 8-12 hours. Dilaudid is instant release hence why it doesn't last nearly as long as time release morphine that is unless you get the Hydromorph Contins which last 12 hours. But even with IR Morphine it last alot longer then Dilaudid because Dilaudid is much shorter acting then Morphine. Certain opiate poteniators such as sedating anti-histamines like Diphenhydramine, Doxylamine, Promethazine, Hydroxyzine, etc can make the nod longer. A benzo can also help stretch it but i would not recommend using a benzo with Hydromorphone because of the added CNS depression. Taking Gabapentin or Pregabalin about a hour after you take the Dilaudid can also sort of add to the nod and make it last longer.

When i had a huge Dilaudid habit and was IVing up to 72mg's at a time (that's 4 of the 18mg Hydromorph Contins) I was shooting up every 4-6 hours. If i slept 8 hours i would wake up as sick as a fucking dog so it was rare for me to sleep a whole night.

its short acting so basically nothing will help extend it. why go off morphine and onto hydromorph? also the BA for the hydromorph is terribly low every which way besides IV..

I'm not an IV user, but have been told IV Dilaudid is the king of getting an opiate rush.
BUT, it's very short lived.

I've taken Dilaudid 4 different ways,

1. Oral
Did not do much, oral BA is too low for Dilaudid.

2. Snorted
Biggest waste of Dilaudid, it's not even half as good as taking them orally.

3. Smoked
Surprisingly gave me a nice little rush, and got me high for like 45 minutes.
I smoked it like how you smoke Oxy and Heroin. Foil, straw, lighter. Chasing the dragon.

4. Plugged
Now, this ROA was intense. I got an INCREDIBLE rush that lasted 15 minutes, and got high for like 4 hours.

There you have it, non IV opiate users like myself, plugging Dilaudid is the way to go.

there is a reason that dilaudid is considered by many to be the crack of opiates. ask doctor/dealer/whoever about hydromorphcontin or as i like to call it dillycontin. and save the irs for breakthrough pain. just my .02

I always heard crushing then sniffing them was the way to go, that taken orally was a complete waste, but I might try smoking or plugging them. Sadly, I cannot talk to a doctor about it, as I'm getting them through somebody who picks them up from the person who is prescribed them. :(

I'm not an IV user, but have been told IV Dilaudid is the king of getting an opiate rush.
BUT, it's very short lived.

I've taken Dilaudid 4 different ways,

1. Oral
Did not do much, oral BA is too low for Dilaudid.

2. Snorted
Biggest waste of Dilaudid, it's not even half as good as taking them orally.

3. Smoked
Surprisingly gave me a nice little rush, and got me high for like 45 minutes.
I smoked it like how you smoke Oxy and Heroin. Foil, straw, lighter. Chasing the dragon.

4. Plugged
Now, this ROA was intense. I got an INCREDIBLE rush that lasted 15 minutes, and got high for like 4 hours.

There you have it, non IV opiate users like myself, plugging Dilaudid is the way to go.

not saying u are wrong but from what i have read snorting hydromorphone is the best route besides IV as its BA is around 50%. and when it comes to oral i have read that it has a really wide BA spectrum subject to subject. something like as low as 5% for some and as high at 85% for others. therefor most people do not take it orally to risk it.

never smoked it, plugged it or IVd it so i cant say much on that. but i have taken them orally (but only with other pills so i cannot account for the effects of them alone). and have snorted them, which works best imo.

Maybe tonight I should try taking one or 2 orally then, and see if it makes a difference (since I have enough to sit on for a while). So far sniffing is barely keeping the withdrawals at bay. It really sucks waking up sweaty, restless, and sick.

Last edited:
not saying u are wrong but from what i have read snorting hydromorphone is the best route besides IV as its BA is around 50%. and when it comes to oral i have read that it has a really wide BA spectrum subject to subject. something like as low as 5% for some and as high at 85% for others. therefor most people do not take it orally to risk it.

never smoked it, plugged it or IVd it so i cant say much on that. but i have taken them orally (but only with other pills so i cannot account for the effects of them alone). and have snorted them, which works best imo.
When I tried snorting Dilaudid, I had the 4mg yellow pills made by Purdue (Roxane and Purdue are the best generic brands for Dilaudid IMO), I tried 1, nothing. 2 more, nothing, tried 1 again, NOTHING.
I was super upset because I wasted 16mg of Dilaudid!!!! 4mg plugged got me high.
For me, snorting was worthless, like I said taking them orally was 100x more potent than snorting for me.

Best ROA for Dilaudid IMO,

1. IV/IM
2. Plug
3. Smoke
4. Oral
5. Snort

This was a few years back, but I can't seem to forget that I wasted 16mg of Dilaudid by snorting them. Ugh

Thanks for the info. I tried different ROA's per pill yesterday. Oral, nothing. Sniffing, barely a buzz. Gonna try plugging, though I gotta acquire something to put it in there properly. I've never plugged anything before.

Last edited:
Plugging is the next best option when you don't want to opt to using a needle ;) when I get low low on my suboxone, that's what I do and it lasts oh so long! It is odd using an oral syringe in the rear end but it does extend the drugs activity haha just make sure nobody walks in on that scene.

When I tried snorting Dilaudid, I had the 4mg yellow pills made by Purdue (Roxane and Purdue are the best generic brands for Dilaudid IMO), I tried 1, nothing. 2 more, nothing, tried 1 again, NOTHING.
I was super upset because I wasted 16mg of Dilaudid!!!! 4mg plugged got me high.
For me, snorting was worthless, like I said taking them orally was 100x more potent than snorting for me.

Best ROA for Dilaudid IMO,

1. IV/IM
2. Plug
3. Smoke
4. Oral
5. Snort

This was a few years back, but I can't seem to forget that I wasted 16mg of Dilaudid by snorting them. Ugh

u are probably one of the few people who have a high oral BA for hydromorphone. for anyone with a tolerance, this chemical will be basically worthless. i have no gotten high on hydromorphone alone. i have only really take them because they were sometimes free so why not.. but maybe trying plugging is best option. i just dunno if i can go to the local pharmacy and get the materials for plugging lol

what do u use?

Definitely gonna try plugging the dillies. Once the weekend is over, those generic pink Opanas should all be gone and its back to that shitty dilaudid (pun intended. Haha.). I was thinking I should crush up the dillies to a fine powder, mix it with a little water, and use a turkey baster or an oral syringe if I can buy one somewhere. How much water do I need per pill cuz they're the 4mg's?

Last edited: