Any addicts here currently attending College?

It's one of those insidious things, isn't it? All the cautionary tales in the world have no meaning to us because we're all such special snowflakes and that's "not going to happen to me" - we somehow manage to convince ourselves that we'll stop before we do irreparable harm to our lives even as our lives are falling to pieces in front of us.

Yeah.. it's horrible. Who knows though, maybe if I actually manage to stay clean I'll end up a stronger person because of it? 6 days now...

The question of irreparable harm is up for debate though.. have I permanently fucked up my life? I have a couple misdemeanor charges.. but those only apply for the state I'm in.. I can always move. I don't think I have any diseases as a result of my addiction.. but I probably should go get tested again. Who knows..

bobert, I just wanted to say congratulations for getting into McGill. As I'm sure you're well aware, it is a fine University (Top 3 in Canada) and competitive with the likes of Harvard and Oxford.

While I'm very happy at Western, I would have taken McGill if given the chance.

Avez courage et bonne chance mon ami!

Cyc

Thanks a million! I can't say how lonely it feels sometimes to actively think I'm one of the most far-gone in my school. I always have it in my head that universities are set up to weed people like many of the intelligent yet personally destructive people like those checking into this thread (I apologize for not knowing your personal drug history- though as a moderator I'd bet on at least one being there). And it's especially daunting to hear about so many drop outs, especially in my current situation.

I wish the life and culture set up around university was more accepting to us introverted druggies with a decent head on our shoulders. I haven't yet discovered how McGill in particular would react to "drug-addict" being written somewhere on my personal file, but I can't help but feel it be negative in nature.

To you in particular Cyc, congrats at being in Western! We can all throw around meaningless statistics, though the real ray of light that shines through is admission into uni in general (Western is ranked pretty high up there too- you wouldn't happen to be ivy/pre ivy would you?). I am actually from Mississauga, so London is only a 2 hour train ride from home. In fact, I will be coming up there for the halloween weekend, seeing as my best friends 19th bday is Nov1. Hell, if you'd like to join in on some fun that evening, perhaps PM me and I'll give you the details?

Again to the OP,
One thing I want to further stress is to stay in school for as long as truly possible. I have been thinking alot since I last posted, that if you look long term sums of happiness and fulfillment, sure dropping out would be easy and rewarding short term, but when you're 64, what are you going to think about yourself? I don't mean to be harsh, but I truly feel later on once you're years and years clean (which you will be!) you will look at yourself in a better way if you were not to "tough it out", but seek help, guidance, whatever you need to get you through your final year of school (which could very well include corresponding with people like those who have taken the time to already share their stories in your thread).

With a degree, you can safely take even two years to clean up, travel and feel like a human being again. I know I'm waiting for that day to come.

I am back in school. It keeps me moving, thinking and active. I should have graduated a long time ago but I had different plans. After finishing high school my parents were pushing me into a university and I had no desire at all to go. Instead I followed around the Grateful Dead and than Phish, all over the country and all over Europe. I had a chipping heroin habit during that time [17 yrs old] and was coming out of the tail end of my psychedelic phase. I kinda regret not listening to my parents but I also dont regret it as all I had was bundles of fun.

By 19 was on methadone, sat on that for a couple years. Finished my general education credits at a private univ. and dropped out and started using dope again full time. I used heroin consistently [daily] till I went on suboxone [8'ish years ago]. I tried 'geographical cures' moved all over [Colorado, VT./NH., California, NYC], I always found dope and was never really wanting to get clean. I attended a school in Vermont for awhile that didnt work out, still kinda kick myself about that. Eventually landed back in the Chicago area and went to a state school. I was to busy doing dope to care, flunked a bunch of classes and said fuck that shit. Again I so wish I would have just taken care of that stupid piece of paper than.

So now I am back in school, clean since Easter and FINALLY actually enjoying being clean. School can be awkward at times but that is just in my head and my crazy thinking. I am 33 and it can be strange interacting with younger students but the hot chicks make up for it. I probably look 25 tops, I think all that PCP I used to smoke preserved me or something, ha.

Anyways yes I wish I could have done things different but hey that's ok I have yet another chance to finish school. I definitely plan on continuing school after my bach. degree is finally done. My head is just starting to begin to work again and as usual school work still continues to suck, hopefully that will change. I can convince myself real quick that I don't need to finish school to be successful but I am mainly doing it for my head so I can learn to function clean. School helps immensely for that.

Sometimes I wonder where the fuck did all the time go but I was to fucked up to notice at the time.

peace.
seedless