• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anxiolytic or CNS-depressant inhaler?

Kaden_Nite

Bluelight Crew
Hey Bluelight,
long time listener, first time caller. I was wondering about the possible existence of any pharmaceutical inhalers intended to have CNS depressant effects for use as sleep-aids or anxiolytics. Several CNS stimulant bases can and have been used in such a way, are there any relaxants available in this form? I often have to take a benzo at night an still have difficulty sleeping. I believe an inhaler could have benefits over a tablet ie. speed of onset.

I have read about diazepam being used in this way, but cannot find much information about it. Is this a product or was it just a novel idea?

Never heard of it, although it could be theorically possible, since benzos are bases and not salts for example. Maybe salbutamol (atshma inhaler) has some kind of downer activity, although I'm not sure on this one.

I have seen people looking quite exhausted -not in a relaxed kind of way- after using Ventolin (jittery too), though I'd say this is more of a side-effect.. There is apparently a cannabis inhaler called 'mystabis' but it is only available in California I believe.

I'll keep looking.

Another good cannabis inhaler is the world known Sativex. You'll have a better time being prescribed Sativex (1 THC/1 CBD) than looking for some small company far away (from earth lol). Good luck, doctors prefer often to prescribe this drug than the whole bud or oils.

Adasuve is loxapine by inhalation. Thats all I know unless insulin counts.

That loxapine looks interesting, little bit severe to use as a sleep-aid by the looks, but interesting.. don't think I've heard of a pharmaceutical 'inhalation powder' before. I take a benzodiazepine prodrug called rilmazafone, dose is only 1 or 2 mg. Water-soluble apparently. May work in the form of a nasal spray.

Tons of powdered inhalers. The devices are breathe or otherwise mechanically activated forcing drug out rather than relying on propellants and clunky press down, breath in administration of typical metered dose inhalers.

Adasuve is loxapine by inhalation. Thats all I know unless insulin counts.

Yeah but Loxapine is a Typical Anti-psychotic with some atypical properties used for Schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder not anxiety. It would have much the same effect on anxiety as say Thorazine/Largactil. It's a anti-psychotic not a traditional sedative like Benzos or the now largely obsolete (except for Phenobarbital and Butalbital) Barbiturates. It would no doubt help a person sleep but it does have more risks then say more commonly used sedatives such as Temazepam or Nitrazepam

Its a stretch, I admit. Rather interesting though. There has been a couple of threads about dropping opioids in the eye, which seems rather pointless to me, but there could be some merit to this. I wouldnt recommend inhaling your crushed up Xanax or anything, but the lungs are not a terrible way to introduce drugs quickly into the body.

Its a stretch, I admit. Rather interesting though. There has been a couple of threads about dropping opioids in the eye, which seems rather pointless to me, but there could be some merit to this. I wouldnt recommend inhaling your crushed up Xanax or anything, but the lungs are not a terrible way to introduce drugs quickly into the body.

Funny enough but i tried to on Loxapine a few years back as i find Largactil to have better side effects then Quetiapine actually which is the med i currently take and it brings my mania down without making me useless for the rest of the day. Loxapine does not look that bad really and in low doses appears to act as a Atypical. But my quack shrink who seems to be brainwashed into thinking Atypicals=good Typicials= bad was having none of it despite the fact that the Quetiapine and Risperdal the only 2 Atypicals covered by my insurance where clearly not doing enough.

The lungs are a good way to administer drugs and hell in Canada you can even get Fentanyl Nasal spray for very severe cancer level pain. Cancer level pain does not mean you have to have cancer but rather that you need Opiates in doses in that high of amount to treat your pain. Also back in the good old days they had those Benzedrine inhalers. Crushing up Xanax however would certainly not work and be a utter waste of Xanax lol

Interesting. I experience constant anxiety, never full-blown panic attacks, just an ever-present feeling of uncertainty about everything. I've never tried an anti-psychotic or anti-depressant because of the routine of having to take them daily. Might give them a try one day though.. At the moment, benzos work for me and I only take as needed. I'll give the rilmazafone a go as a nasal spray and report back, there's actually very little information about rilmazafone. Might be interesting to see if the water-solubility factor actually makes a significant difference regarding intranasal absorbtion.

I believe for sure it does (benzo water solubility) but can be overcome through good formulation or a clever mind. Im positive Ive read studies where either lorazepam or clonazepam was elegantly made into a nasal spray with success. But just crushing and snorting wont do. Ive tried. Didnt do much. But that could have been the ketamine and coke I was snorting.

Well you don't have to take some anti-psychotics daily to be effective. Olanzapine aka Zyprexa works really fast especially in Zydis wafer form and i find it knocks mania and Mixed states right out in about 20 minutes. Too bad i can't afford them :| . It barely even makes me drowsy at 20mg's but brings me back down to normal anyway. Thorazine aka good ol Largactil works pretty fast too and infrequent moderate doses i can't see as being too harmful

No generic Zyprexa up in Canadia?

There is yes but it's not covered by my insurance. The pills are are not that pricey at about 30 10mg pills now for maybe $50 the last time i checked so they are actually cheaper then the Quetiapine pills that are covered ffs. Whether i could afford that every month i don't know but i could get a bottle for emergencies i guess. Though Mania has not been a problem for bit

Always good to not feel manic. Id invest 50 bucks for emergency use only. Tbh, I know the cost and even 50 for 30 really is a rip-off. Its not the worst ever but its not really known to most how cheap those generics really are. Thankfully we have big Pharma down here who rips everyone off to relieve my guilt.

Always good to not feel manic. Id invest 50 bucks for emergency use only. Tbh, I know the cost and even 50 for 30 really is a rip-off. Its not the worst ever but its not really known to most how cheap those generics really are. Thankfully we have big Pharma down here who rips everyone off to relieve my guilt.

Yeah i haven't had a full on bout of Mania or a Mixed in ages which is always good :) . Id say it would be a good 6 months since i have had any manic episode.

Ya there's no way it should cost about $50 for 30 10mg generic Olanzapine tablets. The generic Zyprexa Zydis is completely retarded with the 10mg wafers clocking in at about $8 each the last time i checked. I might get a bottle for emergencies but as my doctor is abit iffy when it comes to anti-psychotics and will most likely want a fasting glucose test before he gives them to me i think i'll wait until i really need them. I really hate having to fast for 16 hours as the Morphine i take for Trigeminal Neuralgia gives me bad sugar cravings. The last time i had one done i ended up eating abunch of candy that was basically pure sugar as soon as i got out of the hospital.

It seems that we don't have the inhaled version of Loxapine in Canada after a search on Health Canada. I don't know why we don't as it would be a great way for a patient to knock out a Manic or Psychotic episode without having to go get a shot of it or some more commonly used older Anti-Psychotics such as Chlorpromazine (which is okay in small to medium doses but doctors often don't seem happy unless a patient is a drooling mess), Haldol or worse yet Clopixol the latter of which left a friend of mine a drooling zombie for 3 fucking days. Loxapine from what i have heard from those that used it is pretty sedating like Chlorpromazine but has a low incidence of causing TD or EPS.

Last edited:
I'm surprised meds can cost so much there, Canada has a good reputation for their access to medicine.. Check out an Aussie pharmacy, I just looked up some of that stuff, it's really cheap here in comparison. Largactil is $7, Zyprexa under 20 for a month's supply.

There is a patent for that diazepam inhaler- it says it heats a mixture containing 5% diazepam, allows the vapour to cool and condense as an 'aerosol' (?).. I'm not certain, but I think it is basically a vaporizer loaded with a diazepam/solvent mixture. Interesting, every time I've tried to find out whether benzos can be vaporized, I come across a thread where someone is being repeatedly called an idiot for even thinking about it.

Last edited:
http://www.acorda.com/products/research-development/plumiaz

Not yet, but soon it seems. Same arguement goes on about nasal benzos but its as I said, a matter of who makes the formulation.

Well i mean THC is fat soluble but you can get Sativex spray in Canada. So there's no reason they can't dissolve benzos that are not water soluble (which is most of them) like Valium. Lorazepam, Alprazolam, etc is a solvent that can be inhaled. They make ampules of Valium, Lorazepam, Midzolam and Clonazepam for IM/IV use after all. I can personally attest to Valium and Lorazepam stinging like fuck when given IM because of the alcohol though.