Mental Health Anxiety Disorders MEGA thread

wow after reading everyones posts it makes me feel guilty to be worried with my own anxiety problems...ive only been experiencing anxiety for like a month or 2 which probably had correlation to drug use/stress from school/lack of sleep...

im on break now and things SEEM to have been getting better although im not too sure...

i feel like im in this perma-stoned state, (not powerful depersonalization or derealization) but somthing like it, ive quit pretty much all drugs...im in a shitty situation where i can talk to anyone about what ive been experiencing but i do have a friend at uni that ive been phoning when i work myself up into those panic attack states...i think all of this might have some kind of tie to me being away from my family for the first time in my life and its been so hard on me especially this last couple of weeks (i just want to go home but im a good 15 hour flight away and have got to spend some time with my gramps)

anyways, i wish everyone luck with there current battles and remind you that 'this too shall pass'! stay strong! :)

wow after reading everyones posts it makes me feel guilty to be worried with my own anxiety problems...ive only been experiencing anxiety for like a month or 2 which probably had correlation to drug use/stress from school/lack of sleep...

im on break now and things SEEM to have been getting better although im not too sure...

i feel like im in this perma-stoned state, (not powerful depersonalization or derealization) but somthing like it, ive quit pretty much all drugs...im in a shitty situation where i can talk to anyone about what ive been experiencing but i do have a friend at uni that ive been phoning when i work myself up into those panic attack states...i think all of this might have some kind of tie to me being away from my family for the first time in my life and its been so hard on me especially this last couple of weeks (i just want to go home but im a good 15 hour flight away and have got to spend some time with my gramps)

anyways, i wish everyone luck with there current battles and remind you that 'this too shall pass'! stay strong! :)

Hey man...no need to minimize or feel guilty about your anxiety, it's hard for anybody. It's such a horrible feeling my heart really goes out to everybody that struggles with this.

It's really good that there is somebody you can call. It's up to us to learn how to work through it but for me I know it's essential to have people to talk to about it.

yer having people to talk to is the most crucial part of anything. the only person i can really talk to is my best mate tom wo im truly greatful for and another girl i know called astineh. jsut imagine the people who dont have anyone or someone who is so shrouded by their anxiety that they feel asif they cant talk to anyone, it's so easy to become hooked by the demon that acompanies you with these feelings.
why do we have this though? we can turn ourselves off for a tiny bit but it always comes back even when we arent even in that thought partern of thinking about the things that make us like this.

bump+ update

been making progress with my anxiety issues as minor as they are :p

just been getting my meditation on and re-adjusting my perception of my current situation and shit, evaluating insecurities and working on them, real personal ish but def getting better...feel like things are coming back together and those thoughts and feelings of anxiety are kind of fading...been eating healthy and not indulging in any drugs of the chemical sort....hows everyone else doing? regardless keep fighting! and let us know, if anything at all let me know :D

^I get this ALLLLLL the time. :) Every panic attack comes with chest pain and when I haven't taken my Clonazepam.......
Not fun.

Sure here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Acceptance-Workbook-Anxiety-Commitment/dp/1572244992/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291007059&sr=8-1

There are exercises that ask you to write stuff out, and also some meditation/mindfulness practices. I suspect that they are influenced a lot by Buddhism.

Another book that I've found helpful for anxiety is "Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness". He runs a clinic in a major hospital and helps people with all sorts of health issues by using mindfulness. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Catastrophe-Living-Wisdom-Illness/dp/0385303122/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291007196&sr=1-1

There is also a helpful guided meditation CD that goes with it:

http://www.amazon.com/Guided-Mindfulness-Meditation-Jon-Kabat-Zinn/dp/1591793599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291007196&sr=1-1-spell

I was able to get "Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness" but not the other two things.

I also picked up
The Mindfulness Code
and Happiness by Thich Nhat Hanh -I obviously haven't read them yet but will let you know what I think when I'm done or partially done with them.
Thanks for the suggestions btw:)

Great... I haven't heard of "The Mindfulness Code", do let me know if it's any good. :) I've read some books by Thich Nhat Hahn I like him a lot, he has such a soothing writing style.

anxiety

If it gives anyone a small amount of hope, crippling anxiety is possible to recover from. Before age 16 i had never done drugs. Then i went crazy with dxm, weed and mushrooms. At first i was in heaven and i had the opposite of anxiety i had all the girls and was very social well into my 2nd year at FSU. then i did adderall and tried benzos. Everything went downhill and i began to feel the cumulative damage done to my brain by dxm and other drugs. All of a sudden i was agoraphobic and hiding from friends which was strange for me. Had to drop out of school and stop all drugs. Went to therapy, took small amounts of benzos when needed and excercised. 3 years later i feel fine with zero anxiety and depression and i went back to college and graduated. I gradually felt better month by month.

Chest pressure / pain - anxiety ?

Those of you who know me know that I have diagnosed PTSD - along with this comes some harsh anxiety. I've wondered now for about a month if the tightness I feel in my chest / pain (occasionally) could be anything more than my anxiety. When I do take my medication for anxiety, quite simply the tightness goes away, never noticed any pains.

I know it seems like a question that I've already answered, but those of you who know me also know I run anabolic steroids and my body has been through the ringer over the years, with prolonged opiate abuse and lord knows whatever else I could find under the sun to change my mind from being sober. My bloodworks have come out fine - ekg came out normal - am I just getting anxious over anxiety ? This is a new symptom to me.

^Chest tightness, chest pain, heart palpitations are all part of anxiety.
I too have though "OMG, I'm having a heart attack!" but its just panic.

This was recently brought up in the Anxiety MEGA thread- someone posted a link there.
If you don't mind, I will merge this there??

Yep. Been there. Gone to hospital several times convinced I was having a heart attack. It tends to go away if you can get the hyperventilation part of a panic attack under control and I found that antacid tablets also helped it fade quicker - but it's still really, really unpleasant for as long as it lasts.

I've had chest pains, tightness, and palpitations that went on for probably 2-3 years. Sometimes they would go away, but I'd go weeks or months where it was just there every single day. EKG was normal and the cardiologist told me it was from anxiety.

I'm not sure what other tests they could run for you if you are still concerned. I know the EKG needs to be done while the pain is there, otherwise it is useless. They do have machines that you can take home with you and it will take measurements throughout the day.

But from my own experience and how you describe your symptoms, it sounds like it is coming from anxiety. Anxiety can create just about any physical symptom you can imagine. Sometimes it's simpler not to focus on the symptoms and just work on dealing with the stress, then the rest can take care of itself.

thx guys , yeah ocean feel free to merge - i appreciate hearing I'm not the only one with this. Drives me insane , I feel like wtf I swear I'm a second away from a heart attack and it just keeps on goin ...

^^^

Wait until you get numbness in the arm along with the chest pain. That's fun too.

my left arm will twitch and my whole left side will get numb if I don't get control over it mentally :(. Unfortunately I am already there Lolie , I hate it but guess it's to be expected - this past month has been a real stressful time for me so it's to be expected.

my left arm will twitch and my whole left side will get numb if I don't get control over it mentally :(. Unfortunately I am already there Lolie , I hate it but guess it's to be expected - this past month has been a real stressful time for me so it's to be expected.

Yeah man the arm twitches can be uncomfortable. I've freaked out more than one person by having the twitches act up while my arm was around them. Take are of yourself I know for me when it's at it's worst it feels like it's always going to be like that, but there always comes a time when things start to settle down.

It feels as if i'm loosing my mind sometimes. I'm pretty sure i have GAD. It also feels like i have derealization. i've abused pot and used mdma only about 15-20 times. Is there help for me to feel normal again??

^ Absolutely, don't ever downplay the minds ability to heal. Are in w/a therapist or psychiatrist ?

I scheduled a doctor's appointment but I cant get in for 3 more weeks. I've never felt like this in my life. I've only been like this for a little over a month. I smoked a blunt and it threw me into the biggest panic attack of my life. My heart was about 160 for a hour. I haven't used pot since then or mdma.

I would advise staying away from any psychedelics atm, they should always be treated with respect. A mind that is under acute anxiety, is not a fit mind for them, you made the right choice by staying away from now.

Work on what's important, getting the anxiety under control. 3 weeks is a long time when you are struggling, I know anxiety can be dabilitating (sp w/e) so call around a bit, check your insurance card - on the back call the number there and ask for psychiatrists in your area. They should provide a list of covered psychs in the area. Try to get yourself in as soon as possible and hang in bro, I've felt those feelings and they really scared me shitless. I don't spook easily but my own brain has the power to do it if I allow it, believe me you are not alone.