• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Technology Antivirus Software is a scam

Right...

because 90%+ computers are using windows...so there's a really good chance that that virus designed for Windows, does what it was intended to do

doesn't take a genius to figure that out

but these 2 bumbling idiots are calling us "fanboys" because they can't even figure out how to partition their computer to make 2 operating systems co-exist on the same computer....in fact, when you install a Linux distro, it''ll do it all for you - guide you through it....it's not hard at all to do

so when they're feeling uncomfortable and they need their windows, they can still hop back over to it - that's what i did until i got used to it - kept windows just in case, and then when i felt like i didn't need it anymore, i wiped it off - started over and went all Linux....i don't have a single computer using Windows anymore - i hate Windows - it's an awful OS

how about when you wanna power your computer down and Windows tells you to wait, it's busy

Fuck you you're busy - that's not an option

and don't power it off while we're busy either or you gotta start over

no no no fuck you

i said shut down don't tell me to fuckin wait

what kinda bull fuckin shit is that?

hopefully they fix that when Windows 13 comes out

UNLIMITED EDITION WITH AN UNLIMITED SUPPLY
I do like Linux for sure but I can't see myself installing another distro on a hard disk...too much risk of it getting compromised

Not enough modern exploit mitigations at this point..Qubes technically does but it's not really Linux plus it's finicky and needs an insane amount of RAM to be used properly

From here on out it's going to be virtual machines only on a secured core PC or something else with full verified boot

Last edited:
Y U H8NG ON MCAFEE , U SHUD BE ASHAMED. THE ONLY PUSSY WHO CREATED VIRUSES FIRST ON COMPUTERS AND NOW CREATES EM IRL IS BILL GATES, FOOOOCK DAT KUNT MOAHHHHYYEEEEEITTTTTTTTEEEEEE.

If you're running a Windows computer, antivirus is now pointless. The in-built Microsoft AV - is finally - better than any 3rd party app and it's FREE.
Fak bill g8tes rawrrŕrrr

nah, krinky is just a bit upset and sandy

im not upset

i just need to remind myself of who im talking to sometimes

Hc1qKH9.gif

Windows has antivirus built-in (e.g. Windows Defender). It's actually somewhat decent if you have Windows 10 or later given what I've read, but it's still a good idea to have some additional protection. Malwarebytes premium, McAfee and Norton are pretty good IMO. There are other good ones out there as well, but what you said is true for some of them. Some "antivirus" providers actually are somewhat malware-like themselves (e.g. collecting data for unknown, possibly shady purposes). Also, whether or not antivirus software actually protects you depends on the type(s) of threats that you're dealing with. Usually, it's pretty effective against "drive-by attacks" (e.g. crooks gathering data with malware-infected websites) and trojans.

However, it depends on the type of hacker/scammer that you're dealing with honestly. It's typically quite effective against large-scale attacks where the scammers use the same malware to hack a very large number of people, because the malicious software gets flagged. Thus, the antivirus providers are able to identify it. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case. Cyber attacks can be carried out by scammers of all types, ranging from large criminal organizations conducting large-scale attacks that target thousands of people to an individual or small group writing their own malware. The latter often would not be detected by an antivirus program, because the malicious file(s) wouldn't have gotten enough visibility to be flagged.

In any case, antivirus software won't stop phishing attacks, which are just as or more common than malware these days. Sometimes, if you have a browser guard, the fake website could be identified. However, again, this would only be the case if the site is known as malicious. Unfortunately, a lot of people usually end up falling victim to the attack before this. So, it really comes down to staying alert when it comes to making sure that you don't enter data on a phishing site. Being VERY cautious when it comes to clicking links, especially from emails, is the key to avoiding most of these attacks (and malware attacks as well) IMO.

Wait, so the "Nortron Antvirus" software I bought from China may not be legit? Wtf

point is unless you have the plan to do a backup you don't actually need an antivirus, what you need is a firewall. The integrated firewall is good on it's own but not in all cases and that's why powerful programs such as tiny wall so on makes the most out of your given setup and acts accordingly now with nowadays capability of poor designed websites throwing random errors, countless for e.g websites where you download wallpapers or if you're a photo enthusiast can benefit off HTML and insert some form of virus that hides on that specific pixel, JPG are one of the most random formats ever you never know whether is safe or not no matter where you got it from, even worse when you convert it. One of the benefits of having an antivirus is none because it goes over your firewall and you don't need such conflicts especially in delicated situations where your business might need you. I can throw a needle in haysack where people actually run "Enterprise" version of OS because of privacy reason where in cases such as Windows 10, Pro and Enterprise are the same. So what happens in scenario of jpg is that a kernel panic might come and because kernel panics aren't an obviously reason in Enterprise versions because Microsoft thinks you know what'd doing since you run a specific version of their OS, you end up with a misconfigured firewall/os. Even more, back in 2010's there was a hidden virus in winRAR if you chose "Create a start menu for this folder", the little thing that opens up at the end of the installation. Also to say something about Japan is that their malls are full and full of floors made out of hardware, used given as new obviously but you don't notice because small stuff such as capacitors will never know when it changed or not, for better or worse. I myself had a, i ALWAYS was actually a enthusiast of Gigabyte motherboards, one of the most stable boards ever made completely can repair itself if you ever run into errors, a new CMOS battery can do magic on other brand can't, but ASUS is a huge seller nowadays which promotes cynical behaviours and tbh, I wanna say this. I recently ran into some errors being RAM related, and I didn't knew because files kept getting corrupted now ofc doing something else, I don't stay after PC's and so what happens is that the ASUS mobo chose a specific settings for my 32 gigs of ram when the Gigabyte motherboard you just thrown in and no it doesn't do it by what the RAM is rated as ( voltage/mhz) is doing by what it's safe and while this word might be used so many time, in this case scenario is something to hold into your hands because all this new modern XMP/AMP overclock your ram and shit, I mean kids and video games.. manufactuer thinks but what they don't is that hey, I am a grown man I don't want OC or anything I just want to have a working PC unless I decide to take a bath with it, dot but scretch your mouth because this isn't going anywhere. Since 2018 no hardware, software that was once stable, that was once new and now thought over as "old" isn't available anymore, in some places even SH. Is just pointing toward a deaf apocalypse of digital world designed by Microsoft and people actually realised that there was 0 need for Windows 11 and thought hm why, well read again.

Yeah well felt more of a vent, tbh and it is a vent.. fuckin manufactuer break fuckin pc's and isn't like they pay it back. Ohh you decided to clean your pc this month of year? nhm that lil plastic thing so it doesn't heat up yay no problem, nada plastik nada para garancia

all of yall out there, take care remember with patience you cross the sea.. but NOT IN THIS MANNER

Mostly agree. On Windows (for instance) the built-in firewall and Windoes Defender software is really all you need alongside adjusting your settings in networking, remote connections, telemetry, work folders, etc to your liking. Hopefully with some knowledge to what you're doing.

Windows is an endless slog of settings to every conceivable notion of tweaking the system l, except a truly simple solution. The exact reason why antivirus software is generally not par for the course for the average user is the corruption that cones along with installing a piece of software which changes all of these background processes, the registry included. Especially the registry.

You're bound to provoke an issue or even holes in your network security and normal execution and function of your OS and installed software with an outside antivirus application. If you have any antivirus software included with your PC, uninstall it. It's invasive and annoying and it fucks up your system more than it helps.

I always get rid if it anyway.

Mostly agree. On Windows (for instance) the built-in firewall and Windoes Defender software is really all you need alongside adjusting your settings in networking, remote connections, telemetry, work folders, etc to your liking. Hopefully with some knowledge to what you're doing.

Windows is an endless slog of settings to every conceivable notion of tweaking the system l, except a truly simple solution. The exact reason why antivirus software is generally not par for the course for the average user is the corruption that cones along with installing a piece of software which changes all of these background processes, the registry included. Especially the registry.

You're bound to provoke an issue or even holes in your network security and normal execution and function of your OS and installed software with an outside antivirus application. If you have any antivirus software included with your PC, uninstall it. It's invasive and annoying and it fucks up your system more than it helps.

I always get rid if it anyway.
The problem with Windows telemetry is that it's inescapable even if you adjust privacy settings. Windows will phone home to Microsoft servers thousands of times per day. All commercial operating systems have malicious features like this.