• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Antique FULL Heroin Tablets Bottle from 1906....What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a bunch of biochem and orgo got to do with turn of the century medicine?

All the surgery shit, and the out-of-place black doctor for a social statement, and the improper and inaccurate description and portrayal of medicinal techniques. I have seen behind the curtain at the wizard of oz and the show looses it's magic.

Certain bacterial species can survive extended periods of dessication, by forming resistant endospores. Clostridia and anthrax are the most famous examples, what with all your terrorist-ey types sending anthrax spores through the mail to whoever happens to be on their shit list du jour that day. Its not so much the bacteria themselves, its anthrax bacteria after having enveloped itself in a spore, resistant to dessication, and other harsh conditions otherwise inimical to the bacteria themselves. When such endospores find themselves in a warm, moist environment such as after having been inhaled, say, in soil, or somewhere that handles sheep hides, then once they've found a nice comfortable (for the anthrax bacteria, not the host, that is) spot, such as a lung, the endospores then germinate, allowing further replication of the bacteria in a more ideal habitat than wherever it was that they formerly were which required sporulation in the first place.

Which is not to suggest your pills are contaminated with anthrax, merely pointing out that some such microorganisms can indeed survive extended periods of dessication.

Certain bacterial species can survive extended periods of dessication, by forming resistant endospores. Clostridia and anthrax are the most famous examples, what with all your terrorist-ey types sending anthrax spores through the mail to whoever happens to be on their shit list du jour that day. Its not so much the bacteria themselves, its anthrax bacteria after having enveloped itself in a spore, resistant to dessication, and other harsh conditions otherwise inimical to the bacteria themselves. When such endospores find themselves in a warm, moist environment such as after having been inhaled, say, in soil, or somewhere that handles sheep hides, then once they've found a nice comfortable (for the anthrax bacteria, not the host, that is) spot, such as a lung, the endospores then germinate, allowing further replication of the bacteria in a more ideal habitat than wherever it was that they formerly were which required sporulation in the first place.

Which is not to suggest your pills are contaminated with anthrax, merely pointing out that some such microorganisms can indeed survive extended periods of dessication.

Name one bacteria than can survive without water for extended periods of time (more than days/ weeks)? There is none. Water is required for all living organisms. Even endospores cannot do that- and they are technically not bacteria or living, but "seedlings".

I think it would already be in my veins. Good luck!

These old drugs don't lose potency to the extent people think. I had some pentobarbital solution from the 70s and it rocked my world.
Whoa, you found 40 some odd year old pentobarbital and it actually worked? Hot damn, that is wild! ???

Name one bacteria than can survive without water for extended periods of time (more than days/ weeks)? There is none. Water is required for all living organisms. Even endospores cannot do that- and they are technically not bacteria or living, but "seedlings".

Virae can also be considered non-alive according to some definitions but some can mess you up pretty good.

Endospores of millions years old have been found viable (related to Bacillus sphaericus), also they can return to vegetative state themselves. In that sense it seems more comparable to hibernation, which doesn't turn say a bear into a non-alive seedling per se. The point is that it would not necessarily render the bacterium harmless or indefinitely inactive.

Water is not required for all living things to survive, only to be active. Ever heard of tardigrades?

Virae can also be considered non-alive according to some definitions but some can mess you up pretty good.

Endospores of millions years old have been found viable (related to Bacillus sphaericus), also they can return to vegetative state themselves. In that sense it seems more comparable to hibernation, which doesn't turn say a bear into a non-alive seedling per se. The point is that it would not necessarily render the bacterium harmless or indefinitely inactive.

Water is not required for all living things to survive, only to be active. Ever heard of tardigrades?

Virions are dead ant cant survive years. No bacteria can survive w/o water for more than weeks. All living things do need water. Tardigraves, et cetera are very extremes and uncommon.

Endotoxins can linger way longer than the lifespan of the bacteria that produced them.

All of this is irrelevant IMO anyway because I doubt these tablets have cultured some toxic bacteria at any point. This guy should just wheel filter them and be done with it, cheap and easy.

Endotoxins can linger way longer than the lifespan of the bacteria that produced them.

All of this is irrelevant IMO anyway because I doubt these tablets have cultured some toxic bacteria at any point. This guy should just wheel filter them and be done with it, cheap and easy.
endotoxins wudnt survive that time w/o degrading completely.

Some halophiles can survive encased in salt for extended periods of time (indefinitely as far as we know). Microbiology 101 is that virtually every nook and cranny of the earth has some sort of microbe thriving in it. Even now we're constantly discovering new species of extermophile. This is one reason why some believe that an asteroid could have carried the first organisms (or at least the biomolecular footprint) to earth. Many species of bacteria, both those weve discovered and have yet to discover, can survive in dessication. Many organisms use dessication as survival mechanism eg tardigrades which are very common.

Also, it is correct to say virions are dead, and they will never be alive, but they don't need to be alive to infect people. That's why killing viruses can be such a bitch--they're not living organisms. Usually, protein denaturation is required to render then nonviable.

Solipsis is definitely right on this one. I think he's also right in saying that moisture could have easily accumulated somewhere in the jar.

This really has gotten off track and should be continued in another forum sub section while this topic gets closed.... Just saying.

Some halophiles can survive encased in salt for extended periods of time (indefinitely as far as we know). Microbiology 101 is that virtually every nook and cranny of the earth has some sort of microbe thriving in it. Even now we're constantly discovering new species of extermophile. This is one reason why some believe that an asteroid could have carried the first organisms (or at least the biomolecular footprint) to earth. Many species of bacteria, both those weve discovered and have yet to discover, can survive in dessication. Many organisms use dessication as survival mechanism eg tardigrades which are very common.

Also, it is correct to say virions are dead, and they will never be alive, but they don't need to be alive to infect people. That's why killing viruses can be such a bitch--they're not living organisms. Usually, protein denaturation is required to render then nonviable.

Solipsis is definitely right on this one. I think he's also right in saying that moisture could have easily accumulated somewhere in the jar.

Yeah, I said I don't trust the jar but they call these things EXTREMEophiles for a reason - they are exceptions to the rules and like EXTREME temperatures, Unless he had his Jar inside a hot gyser, or antartica, it is not gonna have extremophilic bacteria - halophiles cannot live encased in salt indefinitley - they are plenty of halophiles and I don't know one bacteria that can live for more than hours/ days/ weeks w.o water. ESPECIALLY one likely to be in a random Jar - It would be like hitting the lottery except much more rare.

Yeah, I said I don't trust the jar but they call these things EXTREMEophiles for a reason - they are exceptions to the rules and like EXTREME temperatures, Unless he had his Jar inside a hot gyser, or antartica, it is not gonna have extremophilic bacteria - halophiles cannot live encased in salt indefinitley - they are plenty of halophiles and I don't know one bacteria that can live for more than hours/ days/ weeks w.o water. ESPECIALLY one likely to be in a random Jar - It would be like hitting the lottery except much more rare.

Being encased in salt helps protect them from dessication

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2004/10sep_radmicrobe

For the sake of not thread jacking OP, I'll leave it at this. My point is that bacteria are everywhere, and unless youre practicing correct sterile technique with sterile reagents, pretty much everything you work with is potentially contaminated with something. Keeping something in what is more than likely not an airtight jar will not kill pathogens. It's still potentially contaminated with pathogens.

Being encased in salt helps protect them from dessication

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2004/10sep_radmicrobe

For the sake of not thread jacking OP, I'll leave it at this. My point is that bacteria are everywhere, and unless youre practicing correct sterile technique with sterile reagents, pretty much everything you work with is potentially contaminated with something. Keeping something in what is more than likely not an airtight jar will not kill pathogens. It's still potentially contaminated with pathogens.
Dude, I practically made a 100 in microbiology - I know more about bacteria than you know about your own cock. But the bacteria that are everywhere are usually not pathogens, definitely not extremophiles and certainly not some rare discovery in a 108 yr old.

Desiccation is dryness - salt causes this, but some bacteria have adapted to tolerate it for short periods of time.
Haha you shared me a nasa link and I am a 5th yr pre-med student who nearly made 100 in micro.. 3-4 years ago! The end.

Dude, I practically made a 100 in microbiology - I know more about bacteria than you know about your own cock. [...] I am a 5th yr pre-med student who nearly made 100 in micro.. 3-4 years ago! The end.

My friend, there is a significant percentage of the BL population who didn't "almost make a 100" in some undergrad microbiology course - they got the 100 and went on to grad work.

There are also plenty of us who went beyond "pre-" whatever and are actual doctors and PhDs. You don't see that getting chucked out there as some kind of trump card in these discussions because it's tacky for one thing and also that kind of bragging doesn't really impress anyone... Not only because there are plenty of us credentialed far beyond you, but also because most of us recognize those credentials and grades don't translate to genuine mastery of a discipline nor do they disqualify the knowledge or opinions of someone lacking them.

In addition, I'm not sure where you're from, but in the USA being a 5th year "pre" anything is not a good thing. You should be done in 4, 3 if you're a true-blue gunner.

Not trying to start a fight or insult you, just trying to point out that this is kind of gauche behavior. Let your arguments and statements stand on their own merits, they don't need to be qualified with your background if they are sound.

^^ You are simply wrong, buddy. Save the advice for yourself, you might need it later.
But hell, your post is worth a good laugh if you are down to nothing else to do.
I will give you this ole' cliche: "When you assume, you make an ass of u and me."

Actually mike.vick is right. They're usually not pathogens. Sometimes they're pathogens. And that sometimes is how months, maybe even years of unhygienic practices can lull people into a false sense of safety until their luck runs out. Seriously, if we're talking about concerns over IVing these pills, bacteria are one of many concerns regardless.

If you're drug use is unhygienic, you're rolling the dice each time. I'm glad we're in agreement.

Sorry your thread devolved into petty arguments OP :(

Any update from the original poster?

I don't use opiates or anything now, but you should be careful. I find the posts about microbiology and why sterility is important to be interesting.

Happy Holiday everyone, have a great 2017, and stay safe.

Cheers, "Peace & Love, Peace & Love". yep biology is somethin people can go back and forth forever on sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.