Research Anti-diarrhea Medication May Help Treat Core Autism Symptoms

bingey

Bluelight Crew

Anti-diarrhea Medication May Help Treat Core Autism Symptoms

Colm Gorey
Neuroscience News
12 Sep 2022

Excerpt:
Can you teach an old drug new tricks? Although drug treatments for the core symptoms of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) are not currently available, could an existing drug provide a new treatment, even if it previously had no association with ASD?

This was the question asked by a new study in the journal Frontiers in Pharmacology.

The researchers used a computer model that encompasses proteins involved in ASD and the way they interact.

By looking at how different drugs affected proteins in the system, they identified potential candidates to treat it. A commonly used antidiarrheal drug called loperamide was the most promising candidate, and the researchers have an interesting hypothesis about how it may work to treat ASD symptoms. Some of the most common symptoms in ASD involve difficulties with social interaction and communication.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shit you not

Last edited by a moderator:
i recently read that they prescribe apriprazole for it , im not diagnosed but im almost certain im on the spectrum, however i dont want to choose between having a slow chemical lobotomy and feeling more 'normal'

i recently read that they prescribe apriprazole for it , im not diagnosed but im almost certain im on the spectrum, however i dont want to choose between having a slow chemical lobotomy and feeling more 'normal'
Seems like nowadays they prescribe aripiprazole for just about anything under the sun. It's only use is in controlling psychotic disorder and schizophrenia imo