• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

ancient use of psychedelics

willow11 said:
Yeah they have, but it doesn't mean that the entire religious experience of humans can be traced back to mushroom use as some have tried.
I think you must've misunderstood me, I never said or implied that the entire religious experience can be traced back to mushroom use, I was merely providing evidence that suggests they were used in some form or another a very long time ago...either way it's a very interesting topic of discussion :)

^Very interesting :) Theres heaps of stuff written for and against these ideas, I'm never sure where I stand. I understand you weren't saying all religious experience, its just the common theme of a lot of talk about ancient psychedelic use. Personally, I love the idea of Plato drinking some ergot-infused potion and experiencing something akin to an LSD experience 2000 years ago....groovy:)

edited date to 2000 years ago. My bad

Last edited:
Werewoooooooolves!

Many years ago I saw a TV documentary which traced the incidences of "werewolf-ism" through time across France (can't remember the dates now - but I think historical records were kept which documented the incidence along with the executions :( ).

The path, according to the historian researching it, followed the same path across France as outbreaks of St. Anthony's fire.

This struck a note with me as far as tripping went, as when I was in my early 20's, I would often consume Psilocybe mushrooms in my parents house, look in the mirror in the bathroom, and see hairs sprouting out of my face until I looked exactly like ................... what I imagined a werewolf would look like 8o

My imagination would then - as it does on those occasions - run the way of wondering if I were to let the "werewolf-ism" take over, would I end up losing control and savaging my poor parents to death while they slept. And then ending up in jail for a long time. The hairs would magically recede back into their dormant were-follicles, and I would enjoy the rest of my trip.

So in a long-winded way I suppose I'm saying that I reckon it was possible that these poor ergot-poisoned people may have had some type of "trip" whilst compromised by their temporary madness.

Werewolf-ism probably only affected the poorer people. Apparently the rich folks kept a store of rye for when the crops became infected. The poor folks would be left with the nasty stuff.

E

willow11 said:
^ I just don't think that mushroom use was as wide spread as we think, and actually has no history in our particular culture. Its a new thing.

You think it's a new thing? These things have been around for thousands of years, and people back then most likely liked to get "altered" just as much as we do. I would say this is more unlikely than true.

Re: Claviceps paspali

Has anyone actually isolated the alkaloids from paspali and definitively proven it does not contain the vasoconstrictive alkaloids in any significant proportions?

willow11 said:
^Very interesting :) Theres heaps of stuff written for and against these ideas, I'm never sure where I stand. I understand you weren't saying all religious experience, its just the common theme of a lot of talk about ancient psychedelic use. Personally, I love the idea of Plato drinking some ergot-infused potion and experiencing something akin to an LSD experience 200 years ago....groovy:)
200 years ago? wasnt that more like 2500 years ago?

Man has always and will always seek altered consciousness. I believe that 100%

willow11 said:
See, I've got a problem with this idea that mushroom use must be well over 1000years bc. The main problem is that it is unprovable. The same goes for ancient use of plant drugs, such as ergot. Theoretically, these substances are likely to have been used- but then, I'm saying that from a perspective of one who couldn't imagine NOT putting these things to use. There are many stories from the last 200 years (and more) of people ingesting (accidentally) psilocybe mushrooms throughout the world and experiencing only what they considered poisoning. It was only about 50 years ago that mushrooms, and other plants, effects became desireable. This suggests to me that our western culture has found something great in the mushrooms and plant-drugs, which makes them much more profound to me then the idea of this current psychedelic culture as one extending back millenia.

As the OP has said, alot of times this property of plants and fungii was discover through accidental ingestion, and then often times not even repeated because of that property. I think its our societys mindset that actually believes these experiences are worthy of something. I'm wary of claims of ancient hallucingen use simply because the idea is just too delicious to be true in all cases.

Woah, woah, woah. %) Hold on there buddy.

Mushroom stones have been dated from 500 BC, 1000 BC, as well as 3000 BC. Indirect evidence can be drawn from Tassili rock art from 5,000 B.C. Evidence of psychoactive hemp use is very old as well, 4,000 B.C.

Peyote use goes back beyond 3,000 BC. I have a feeling yopo is very old (we know its atleast as old as 1493 since Colombus reports of it), we know coca leaf goes back far into antiquity. I don't have any of my articles with me so most of this stuff is coming off the top of my head! (When i get home i'll double check of course =D )

"It was only about 50 years ago that mushrooms, and other plants, effects became desireable. "

For Westerners maybe! But not the rest of the world. Opium is quite old!

Read "Hallucinogens and the shamanic origins of religion" by Weston la Barre, an essay found in Flesh of the Gods, edited by Peter T. Furst. Which brings the history as far back as fly agaric eating paleo-Siberians.

PsyGhost said:

Mushroom stones have been dated from 500 BC, 1000 BC, as well as 3000 BC. Indirect evidence can be drawn from Tassili rock art from 5,000 B.C. Evidence of psychoactive hemp use is very old as well, 4,000 B.C.

Peyote use goes back beyond 3,000 BC. I have a feeling yopo is very old (we know its atleast as old as 1493 since Colombus reports of it), we know coca leaf goes back far into antiquity. I don't have any of my articles with me so most of this stuff is coming off the top of my head! (When i get home i'll double check of course =D )

"It was only about 50 years ago that mushrooms, and other plants, effects became desireable. "

For Westerners maybe! But not the rest of the world. Opium is quite old!

Read "Hallucinogens and the shamanic origins of religion" by Weston la Barre, an essay found in Flesh of the Gods, edited by Peter T. Furst. Which brings the history as far back as fly agaric eating paleo-Siberians.

when I was "scientific" and realy cared about the physical origins of the psychedelic experience I watched some lecture that went into GREAT detail about pattern recognition and our optical nerves as well as the neurological pathways which COULD cause "hallusinations"... well anyways it showed those peices of rock art in which spirals, latus, "star burst" and other images most people assosiate with late 60's/early 70's psychedelia art. But also explained how these images can be caused by holding ones breath, pushing into your eye's (optical pressure?) and other NON "psychedelic" catalysts can cause them. The lecture wasnt JUST about psychedelics but brought up an arguement unintentionaly which could show how that evidence in this disscussion could possibly be from other sorces.

Im all for the use of psychedelics by our ancestors or there "closely realated" counter parts.

Hey, since when did this thread become about mushrooms? back on topic guys!
:)

Youkai said:
200 years ago? wasnt that more like 2500 years ago?

Man has always and will always seek altered consciousness. I believe that 100%

Eek yes, 2000 is what I meant to write. I'll edit my post accccordionly.

PsyGhost said:

Mushroom stones have been dated from 500 BC, 1000 BC,
The Aztec mushroom firgurines you may be referring to ??? have been suggested to have been simply a cast for creating one half of a rubber ball that was used in Aztec games. The Aztecs certainly used mushrooms, but not neccesarily for religion or worship. At the coronation of Moctezuzzmzm (sorry, I don't know his name- last Aztec king) chocalte and mushrooms were served at the party. They tripped, a lot of the time, for kicks. Also groovy %) :)

as well as 3000 BC. Indirect evidence can be drawn from Tassili rock art from 5,000 B.C. Evidence of psychoactive hemp use is very old as well, 4,000 B.C.

The famous picture that Terence Mckennas wife (sorry to you too, I think its kathy??) drew of the bemushroomed shaman is actually quite different to the original art. She sketched from a book- the McKennas never visited any of these sites.

I think remnants of bufotenine, DMT, 5-Meo-DMT, mushrooms, datura- the works- has certainly been discovered at archaelogiacl sites etc. around a lot of Sth America, and of course there is direct eveidence of psycoactive-based religions all over the place.

For Westerners maybe! But not the rest of the world.

Thats exactly my point- our culture doesn't come from a long history of psychedelic plant use. In fact, as we know it is shunned by our society. As I said, the symptoms of psilocybin ingestion was thought of as poison less then 70 years ago- and this is a fact-now the effects are desireable. Its a cultural thing that has sprung up now. Why cling to the past use of these plants, when the state of our world demands we take on a new viewpoint. Tribalism isn't going to work for us, so we need to look beyond the past, where for some reason a picture of a false Utopia is painted, to find the real application for these drugs.

Opium is quite old!

But its very different to a true hallucinogen dont you think?

I've read a lot about Siberian shamanism, and yes indeed it is a true thing; yet did you know that in the area we refer to as Siberia (which is like twice the size of europe and contains as many cultural differences) there are only two regions where amanita shamnism is/was practised? To many shamans in 'Siberia' the amanita was TRULY shunned as a distorter of the mind. Sadly Stalin apparenlty had a lot of shamans thrown from planes to prove to people they could not fly, in his attempt to impose communism on everyone.

I'm not disputing that these drugs have been consistently used; but I don't think they have been by as many and as reverently as we would like to think. Humans have always been humans, and like getting fucked up (well, I do :)) and I don't think that has changed. Even the sacred Kykeon of Elusias was used recreationallly by some so-and-s0 who was banished to Sparta. I still wonder how the fuck ayahusca was discovered, and how someone decided to eat morning glories or mescaline containing cactii though....true bravery.

Anyways, I've started wondering if it even matters if these drugs were used or not. So what? What does it mean?

Youkai said:
when I was "scientific" and realy cared about the physical origins of the psychedelic experience I watched some lecture that went into GREAT detail about pattern recognition and our optical nerves as well as the neurological pathways which COULD cause "hallusinations"... well anyways it showed those peices of rock art in which spirals, latus, "star burst" and other images most people assosiate with late 60's/early 70's psychedelia art. But also explained how these images can be caused by holding ones breath, pushing into your eye's (optical pressure?) and other NON "psychedelic" catalysts can cause them. The lecture wasnt JUST about psychedelics but brought up an arguement unintentionaly which could show how that evidence in this disscussion could possibly be from other sorces.

Im all for the use of psychedelics by our ancestors or there "closely realated" counter parts.

A guy, David Lewis-Williams wrote a lot about this, tracing phospehn activity of the visual cortex to rock art. Very interesting and pursuasive idea, but with some pitfalls.

retired_chemist said:
I think this theory is generally dismissed as improbable. Do some research and you will find more compelling arguments against than for.

I'm fairly sure that area doesn't have the right enviornmental conditions to cause ergot. Just a recollection. I could be wrong but yeah that theory has been disproved.

Also re: Stalin on shamans. FUCK! I knew he was nut but wooaah.

Last edited:
I still wonder how the fuck ayahusca was discovered, and how someone decided to eat morning glories or mescaline containing cactii though....true bravery.

Yeah, that bemuses me as well. To consider peyote as a source of dietry calories just makes me feel nauseous at that thought. How do you discover that eating several peyote is required to get the full effect. One button isn't going to do much, but tastes so utterly foul, that you think,"why did they go on eating if it tastes (& feels) so vomit inducing?", which it certainly does (taste vomit inducing!)

I don't know why the old saying about curiosity being dangerous to felines was aimed at cats, curiosity probably kills quite a few more of our fellow primates :D

After a bit of thought I realized most people know someone who had they come across peyote in such conditions would eat something with a hideous taste just for the hell of it; the sort that always volunteer, as kids, to do things like eat worms... Well I hope it's most people who know someone like that (a sort of suave & sophisticated - relatively speaking of course - modern day counterpart of the village idiot!) as otherwise I may have to consider if I'm associating with the right sort of people =D =D

perhaps someone just got lucky and ate a particularly potent button. One where the psychoactive effects were discernable, anyway. Who knows. It seems more bizarre to me that anyone would discover oral DMT can be activated per MAOI, in a tribal environment with no science or chemistry. How the fuck does that happen?

offtopic.gif

I changed the title to refer to ancient use of psychedelics, rather than just LSD/lysergamides.

So carry on!

Or that drugs that are not active by mouth are active when you shove them up your nose or up your arse? What sort of valuable, learned behaviour does snorting things come from?

willow11 said:
The Aztec mushroom firgurines you may be referring to ??? have been suggested to have been simply a cast for creating one half of a rubber ball that was used in Aztec games. The Aztecs certainly used mushrooms, but not neccesarily for religion or worship. At the coronation of Moctezuzzmzm (sorry, I don't know his name- last Aztec king) chocalte and mushrooms were served at the party. They tripped, a lot of the time, for kicks. Also groovy %) :)

mushstone.jpg

that would be one weird looking rubber ball 8o

willow11 said:
The famous picture that Terence Mckennas wife (sorry to you too, I think its kathy??) drew of the bemushroomed shaman is actually quite different to the original art. She sketched from a book- the McKennas never visited any of these sites.

Thats the first I ever heard about that. Hmm. I have seen the same image used by Paul Stamets and Christian Ratsch, including the image of the mushroom headed figures running.

Why cling to the past use of these plants, when the state of our world demands we take on a new viewpoint. Tribalism isn't going to work for us, so we need to look beyond the past, where for some reason a picture of a false Utopia is painted, to find the real application for these drugs.

Hey, hunting and gathering all the way!!!!!!

I'm not disputing that these drugs have been consistently used; but I don't think they have been by as many and as reverently as we would like to think. Humans have always been humans, and like getting fucked up (well, I do :)) and I don't think that has changed.

I agree with this. The plants are used spiritually yes, but also for a hell of a good time. Some say intoxication is the fourth drive of humanity (the others being hunger, thirst, and sex) and I have to agree.

Anyways, I've started wondering if it even matters if these drugs were used or not. So what? What does it mean?

We are all actually plants that think we are human. 8o 8o

Thats the first I ever heard about that. Hmm. I have seen the same image used by Paul Stamets and Christian Ratsch, including the image of the mushroom headed figures running.

I havn't seen the original but if you read the book "Shroom" (crap book to be honest) it says that Terence Mckenna's wifes drawing isn't really accurate.

I think psychedelic use is ancient in south america. I'm not convinced about any of the eulesian mysteries claims, I think that could have been a dozen different things.

I remember someone saying "We could only get our religious feelings from entheogens" and another guy saying "Come off it, there are millions of people who get feelings of wonder and awe just from looking at a sunset".