• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Amphetamine pharmacokinetics

Helios. said:
EtOH definitely gets in the brain, but back to AMP metabolism, phenylmethylenealphapiperidines (PMAPs) don't have this problem.

Ritalin/methylphenidate does, due to its Bz-(CO2Me)-R group, but it's not a strict PMAP.

EtOH --> CH3CO2H.
Bz-(CO2Me)-R --> Bz-(CO2-)-R + MeOH.
MeOH --> HCO2H.

Does cocaine have this toxicity issue? What kind of levels of acute formic acid metabolite toxicity can be tolerated without long-term effects?

Helios. said:
^^MattPsy brings home the Au here.

Must have seen that 25 years ago on facts of life. Tootie for sure was helping Natalie I believe, "what do you say if somebody steals your gold? A U! Come back here with my gold!" but I digress...

bigmac74 said:
...fact that selegeline - an MAO-B inhibitor - prevents MDMA induced neurotoxicity, which proves something...

may i ask as to how this became a fact?

nanobrain said:
may i ask as to how this became a fact?

I posted references in the thread...

[1], [2] & [3].
^^

Incubation of MDMA treated cells with the SERT inhibitor, fluoxetine (500 nM) or the MAO-B inhibitor, L-deprenyl (0.1 mM) for 30 min prior to DA, significantly blocked free radical production and cell death.

The monoamine oxidase-B inhibitor L-deprenyl protects against 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine-induced lipid peroxidation and long-term serotonergic deficits.

Inhibition of MAO-B protects against MDMA-induced neurotoxicity in the striatum.

Morb said:
Must have seen that 25 years ago on facts of life. Tootie for sure was helping Natalie I believe, "what do you say if somebody steals your gold? A U! Come back here with my gold!" but I digress...

What are you talking about :\ :) ?
Yeah, it would appear you can prevent neurotoxicity by two methods: Either keep the 5-HT levels high by the use of an SSRI, avoiding a 5-HT concentration "crash" and the associated subsequent uptake of DA instead of 5-HT, causing free radical generation OR inhibit the enzyme responsible for the production of free radicals...

There is alot of things that prevent neurotoxity with this drug, by itself.
but that is a seperate topic in itself. heh

yes, i read these some time back, but how do a few semi-conclusive experiments make it to fact status? pharmakodynamics is a fairly entangled beast, MAO aint MAO and there's all sorts of other factors that necessitate inclusion before blanket statements of fact may be pronounced.