News America's New Drug Policy

RUC4

Bluelighter
America's New Drug Policy

NYT.com
By: German Lopez
4 May 2023

Excerpts:

For decades, the U.S. focused on trying to scare people away from drugs, instituting tough criminal penalties and emphasizing law enforcement over addiction treatment.
But a major change is underway.
The old approach failed to prevent an overdose crisis that now kills more than 100,000 Americans a year.
Lawmakers now often discuss drugs as a problem of public health, not just criminal justice...Some lawmakers have even embraced a once-radical strategy called harm reduction.
Republican strongholds, including Kentucky, Utah and Mississippi, recently decriminalized the test strips.
“My hope is that every person struggling with addiction has access to a quality recovery program and has the opportunity to gain and maintain long-term sobriety,” Representative Tom Oliverson, the Texas Republican who sponsored his state’s bill, told me. “But if they die instantly from a drug they didn’t even know they were taking, I can’t fix that. Nobody can.”

F*cking finally people are starting to realize that this is a huge issue. But, maybe this will catch on and we can see changes coming quickly.
Why were the test strips illegal in the first place? Weird.

Enough people have died that the strips are seen as necessary now. Can't even get a bag of COKE anymore without worrying if you're gonna fucking DIE. Hopefully this leads to some good old fashioned ass whoppings....sell me fent will ya?