AMERICANA | Traditional Roots & Blues (only)

@Jerry Atrick oi my man, sorry for my late reply, confused period here.....learn fingerstyle was my plan but at most I can play a decent rhythmic guitar and I m slowly getting better with slide. Playing this one with my mates at the moment

Btw
1) coming from guitar it is gonna be THAT hard to play banjo
2) any chance of listening to your music? I totally understand if you don t want to break the privacy thing and stuff.
Cheers my man

Hey man, making the transition from guitar to banjo wasn't all that hard for me. In fact, I started out banjo with a couple of group lessons and pretty much all the other students were guitar players. The two instruments have a couple of things in common although the differences are greater. I chose to learn clawhammer banjo, which is much more different than bluegrass banjo. I don't have enough space here to explain the differences between bluegrass and clawhammer styles but you can find comparison videos on youtube.

I don't mind sharing one of my songs from youtube. I have two channels. One channel has my name associated with a lot of the videos, so I will not be posting any of those. The other channel I created more recently and I posted a video on it this afternoon. It's an Unlisted video so people can only watch it if they have the link. This song was written in 2003 and is my very first original composition. I think I posted a shittier version somewhere around here a couple years ago but this one is a little cleaner.

For the record, I never claimed I could play like Jimi Hendrix. I put more effort into writing lyrics than anything else ;)

Hey man, making the transition from guitar to banjo wasn't all that hard for me. In fact, I started out banjo with a couple of group lessons and pretty much all the other students were guitar players. The two instruments have a couple of things in common although the differences are greater. I chose to learn clawhammer banjo, which is much more different than bluegrass banjo. I don't have enough space here to explain the differences between bluegrass and clawhammer styles but you can find comparison videos on youtube.

I don't mind sharing one of my songs from youtube. I have two channels. One channel has my name associated with a lot of the videos, so I will not be posting any of those. The other channel I created more recently and I posted a video on it this afternoon. It's an Unlisted video so people can only watch it if they have the link. This song was written in 2003 and is my very first original composition. I think I posted a shittier version somewhere around here a couple years ago but this one is a little cleaner.

For the record, I never claimed I could play like Jimi Hendrix. I put more effort into writing lyrics than anything else ;)

thanks a lot and it´s actually cool and I m no virtuoso either, my songs are pretty basic but my bandmates are "real" musicians and like ( and at times rearrange ) them so fuck it. I struggle with lyrics a lot , at least English is your mother tongue, imagine an Italian living in Brazil writing lyrics in...English! But blues in Portuguese or Italian just won t work, as if someone was singing , say, Domenico Murolo in Japanese....

thanks a lot and it´s actually cool and I m no virtuoso either, my songs are pretty basic but my bandmates are "real" musicians and like ( and at times rearrange ) them so fuck it. I struggle with lyrics a lot , at least English is your mother tongue, imagine an Italian living in Brazil writing lyrics in...English! But blues in Portuguese or Italian just won t work, as if someone was singing , say, Domenico Murolo in Japanese....
No worries.

As for the languages, remember there are no rules with music/art. Sure there is theory but like one of my mentors told me long ago, My theory is that if it sounds good, do it. Whether the language is Italian or Portuguese, if the words rhyme fuck it, put down some blues grooves and do your thing. Hell, the words don't even have to rhyme. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why one can't write a down and dirty blues song in another language. If anything, you would be one of the first to do it, which would make you a pioneer and trailblazer. Do it!

EDIT:

Last edited:
No worries.

As for the languages, remember there are no rules with music/art. Sure there is theory but like one of my mentors told me long ago, My theory is that if it sounds good, do it. Whether the language is Italian or Portuguese, if the words rhyme fuck it, put down some blues grooves and do your thing. Hell, the words don't even have to rhyme. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why one can't write a down and dirty blues song in another language. If anything, you would be one of the first to do it, which would make you a pioneer and trailblazer. Do it!

EDIT:

Wow have u heard about Alex Britti? He is an amazing blues guitarist but in Italy Blues is a very niche thing (here in Brazil is way more popular, even if in its electric Stevie Ray Vaughan wannabe masturbational form) so in order to earn some real money he had to play some pop bullshit like this Good thing playing is not my primary source of income so I can play whatever I like....I can send you some stuff when we ll record something remotely acceptable if u are interested. I like writing in English cos it forces me to stick to say what s essential without too much blah blah blah....

Wow have u heard about Alex Britti? He is an amazing blues guitarist but in Italy Blues is a very niche thing (here in Brazil is way more popular, even if in its electric Stevie Ray Vaughan wannabe masturbational form) so in order to earn some real money he had to play some pop bullshit like this Good thing playing is not my primary source of income so I can play whatever I like....I can send you some stuff when we ll record something remotely acceptable if u are interested. I like writing in English cos it forces me to stick to say what s essential without too much blah blah blah....

What youtube video did you post? It says unavailable in my country.

Sure man, I'd love to hear some of your stuff.

What youtube video did you post? It says unavailable in my country.

Sure man, I'd love to hear some of your stuff.
Look for Alex Britti "La vasca" you ll probably find some version available in your country, or maybe don t do this to yourself, cos it s really sad seeing a blues guitarist of his level playing shit like that... I do like pop (probably more than classic rock) but this kind of songs is not even pop, is musical prostitution! I don t judge him cos you need to do what you need to do, but it tells you a lot about the sorry state of contemporary Italian music. On a more cheerful note...do u like this guy ? He started playing in his 50´s , he definitely was no virtuoso still he achieved some success, it gives me hope ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrywzdWpXZ0

Lord I ve been in trouble since I started, since I started, since I started
Lord I ve been in a lot of trouble since I started
Lord I m long , long way from my home.....

"If i go to church on sunday
Then do oxy and coke all Monday
Ain't nobody's business if i do...."